2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
carisi2k

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Jolle wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 01:54

I don't think it's fair to compare STR and McLaren. Their design teams would have had very different assignments.

For STR it's all about giving RedBull a good PU for 2019 (at the soonest). Even finishing dead last every race wouldn't be a real problem. This means they will have build in lots of room in the chassis. Also, with the drivers, they would have made the package easy to drive and predicable. Which is normally not always the fastest.
I think it is fair to compare. The STR13 is not as tight as the Mclaren but it is not a compromised design and is better then what they had last year around the sidepod area. It is putting in good lap times and top speeds all while doing a stack of laps more then Mclaren are.

I just don't understand the philosophy of the small airbox when the 2014 mclaren had a larger airbox and that was with a Mercedes engine. All of the other teams have gone to the larger airbox for many reasons and the sooner Mclaren realises this the better for them. Burn marks and cooling holes in the body work are testament to the fact the Mclaren is too tightly packaged.

They are nowhere near Red Bull or even Renault in terms of pace. They are slower then a multitude of mid pack teams all because they are trying to cling to a trend from the V8 era.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Big Tea wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 01:46
What ever the cause I would not consider a dead engine minor, when you only get 3 for the year.
I don't believe anyone did, I think you'll find they called the oil leak minor.

Alonso Fan

carisi2k wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 02:26
Jolle wrote:

I don't think it's fair to compare STR and McLaren. Their design teams would have had very different assignments.

For STR it's all about giving RedBull a good PU for 2019 (at the soonest). Even finishing dead last every race wouldn't be a real problem. This means they will have build in lots of room in the chassis. Also, with the drivers, they would have made the package easy to drive and predicable. Which is normally not always the fastest.
Burn marks and cooling holes in the body work are testament to the fact the Mclaren is too tightly packaged.
I think it's already been clearly explained why the burn marks occurred and that they're no longer posing an issue due to the temporary fix
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

carisi2k

Alonso Fan wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 02:59
carisi2k wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Burn marks and cooling holes in the body work are testament to the fact the Mclaren is too tightly packaged.
I think it's already been clearly explained why the burn marks occurred and that they're no longer posing an issue due to the temporary fix
I did mention the holes which are the temporary fix but no other team needs them and so my point stands. The body work is too tight and it requires these fixes. The other teams have all seen how larger bodywork around the airbox allows the turbo engines to perform better. As I mentioned even Mclaren used to have a larger airbox with the Mercedes in 2014.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's nothing to do with intake area and everything to do with stagnant flow and heatshielding, hence the small holes to help air flow through there temporarily.

Renault themselves confirmed that mclaren have more than enough cooling for the PU itself currently.

makecry
makecry

PhillipM wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 04:28
It's nothing to do with intake area and everything to do with stagnant flow and heatshielding, hence the small holes to help air flow through there temporarily.

Renault themselves confirmed that mclaren have more than enough cooling for the PU itself currently.
yup as Eric B said, it's a heat pocket. It wouldnt be too hard for McLaren to solve it tbh.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

carisi2k wrote:
Jolle wrote:

I think it is fair to compare. The STR13 is not as tight as the Mclaren but it is not a compromised design and is better then what they had last year around the sidepod area. It is putting in good lap times and top speeds all while doing a stack of laps more then Mclaren are.

I just don't understand the philosophy of the small airbox when the 2014 mclaren had a larger airbox and that was with a Mercedes engine. All of the other teams have gone to the larger airbox for many reasons and the sooner Mclaren realises this the better for them. Burn marks and cooling holes in the body work are testament to the fact the Mclaren is too tightly packaged.

They are nowhere near Red Bull or even Renault in terms of pace. They are slower then a multitude of mid pack teams all because they are trying to cling to a trend from the V8 era.
I think it would be fair to note that Mclaren are trying to go quicker than their rivals, so obviously there would be a tendency to go a bit aggressive. As long as they have the capability to rectify an issue they have been to aggressive with, then it's not too big a deal. They want to compete at the front, so they have to do things differently, take some risks. From all indications so far, Red Bull are going to be in the mix... with the 3rd best engine, (or 2nd worst) same engine as Renault works team and now Mclaren. This is majorly down to the chassis, I'm not saying the PU is no good, but it's clearly below Mercedes and Ferrari. For Mclaren to join the party, they have to be bold, radical, aggressive... and like their new slogan says, be brave. Having these problems means they're pushing, which is great, as long as they were prepared or anticipated these problems occurring. Fingers still crossed.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

f1rules
f1rules

very nice post, spot on! =D> =D>

Jolle wrote:

The McLaren engineers on the other hand would have had the briefing that they need to take risks. No sponsors, big driver. Being the slowest Renault team would mean at the most places 9 en 10 on the grid, with a good shot from FI or Williams even outside the points. So they had no room to play with, everything, every detail is right on or slightly over the edge. Being with a new PU and competing with RedBull directly, that is almost an impossible task. Plus, for the last three years, McLaren have been in a race against one.

bauc

f1rules wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 09:17

Jolle wrote:

The McLaren engineers on the other hand would have had the briefing that they need to take risks. No sponsors, big driver. Being the slowest Renault team would mean at the most places 9 en 10 on the grid, with a good shot from FI or Williams even outside the points. So they had no room to play with, everything, every detail is right on or slightly over the edge. Being with a new PU and competing with RedBull directly, that is almost an impossible task. Plus, for the last three years, McLaren have been in a race against one.
Exactly! Well said
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Webber2011
Webber2011

bauc wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 09:48
f1rules wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 09:17

Jolle wrote:

Exactly! Well said
I tend to agree as well, they aren't going to jump to the front being conservative !

The problems that they are having are still ominous to me though.

I hope they can get on top of them.

Andres125sx

I was expecting this drama around McLaren, but even so, it´s surprising reading so many rants in so little time.

This is testing, and this is the first McLaren-Renault in history. Anyone who was expecting a trouble free testing: a) don´t have a clue about F1. b) he/she was assuming McLaren is similar to STR and can go with huge safety margin all around to avoid any problem.

But that´s not the case, this is F1, everything must be designed to be on the limit, at least if you´re McLaren, not so much if you´re STR, basically because you don´t have the resources to design everything exactly to the limit but without exceeding it. The higher your budget and resources, the closer you can go to the limit, and that obviously will bring some problem, but once solved it´ll be well worth the effort. Also what someone said, STR is just RBR test mule, comparing with McLaren is ridiculous

And this is 2018 F1, comparing with previous eras where there was unlimited testing is so absurd....

Postmoe

Big Tea wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 01:30
Big Tea wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 00:57
But this was a 'small oil leak' nothing serious. So the engine died.
Right. Really inspires confidence doesn't it?
Yes, that happens when you have a leak in a pressure line to an engine, even on a road car. A pressure drop even for a second will cause damage. I'd probably stop questioning their statements if you don't realise that.
What ever the cause I would not consider a dead engine minor, when you only get 3 for the year.
Poppet valve falling into the cilinder chamber: major.
Cavitation in the oil lines: major.
A hose that gets out of its nipple to the oil pan: minor

cyclon

Andres125sx wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:17
I was expecting this drama around McLaren, but even so, it´s surprising reading so many rants in so little time.

This is testing, and this is the first McLaren-Renault in history. Anyone who was expecting a trouble free testing: a) don´t have a clue about F1. b) he/she was assuming McLaren is similar to STR and can go with huge safety margin all around to avoid any problem.

But that´s not the case, this is F1, everything must be designed to be on the limit, at least if you´re McLaren, not so much if you´re STR, basically because you don´t have the resources to design everything exactly to the limit but without exceeding it. The higher your budget and resources, the closer you can go to the limit, and that obviously will bring some problem, but once solved it´ll be well worth the effort. Also what someone said, STR is just RBR test mule, comparing with McLaren is ridiculous

And this is 2018 F1, comparing with previous eras where there was unlimited testing is so absurd....
"STR is just RBR test mule"

I said so! I thought it is more than obvious! After all it is the same company that pays their paychecks ....
8)

Anyway let's see what this day has for the team!
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

restless
restless

Postmoe wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:18
Big Tea wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 01:30

Yes, that happens when you have a leak in a pressure line to an engine, even on a road car. A pressure drop even for a second will cause damage. I'd probably stop questioning their statements if you don't realise that.
Poppet valve falling into the cilinder chamber: major.
Cavitation in the oil lines: major.
A hose that gets out of its nipple to the oil pan: minor
Lol, yea, its a 2$ bolt that failed, or hose for 0.1$, cutting the engine cover is minor too.
No need to overreact, but fact is - Mclaren badly NEEDED good mileage during tests. loosing 3 days is NOT acceptable whatever the spin. It makes so much harder to be prepared for Melburn.
I'm ok with early integration problems. I fully expected Mc to use first 4 races for fixing small gremlins.
But I can't accept the bullshit with "minor problems". Who needs these stupid remarks?!

PS:
Eric Boulier must be sacked.

GoranF1
GoranF1

car pretty fast...those were 8 lap stints....
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."