2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
cyclon

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I have an idea...
I know it's a long shot ....
But i say ... what if the use of hypersofts emulates the prospected gains in time of the Melbourne aero package upgrade.
I repeat it's a long shot ...
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

Thunder

GoranF1 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:53
car pretty fast...those were 8 lap stints....
That's promising. Keeping the Hypersofts alive for so long with respectable Lap Times is quite good.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

GoranF1
GoranF1

Thunder wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 11:07
GoranF1 wrote:
That's promising. Keeping the Hypersofts alive for so long with respectable Lap Times is quite good.
still not a single aero development part...pretty good basis then.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

bauc

GoranF1 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 11:09
Thunder wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Well Prodromou siad that the car in Melbourne will look dramatically different, I just hope this heating issues are not changing their plans, coz its probably too late to produce revised parts now for the first race
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

GoranF1
GoranF1

autosport:

Vandoorne back in. Well, that was interesting - still a way off Ricciardo's fastest lap on those hypersofts yesterday, but conditions are far less favourable this morning. Track temp just 18.9C and ambient is 9.6C. #F1
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

cyclon

bauc wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 11:11
GoranF1 wrote:
Thunder wrote:

Well Prodromou siad that the car in Melbourne will look dramatically different, I just hope this heating issues are not changing their plans, coz its probably too late to produce revised parts now for the first race
Perhaps PP knew something even about the heat pockets ...
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

bauc

cyclon wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 11:25
bauc wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

Nope, noting of that sort, the problem with heat pocket can only be found when the car is actually on track.If you go back and read the statements made they advised well in advance that they will use a ''basic'' configuration for testing and that they were working for 2 months on the major update for Melbourne. The reason is, the late decision of the engine change and the fact that they were already 2 weeks behind schedule in development.

From what I've heard, it takes around 3 to 6 weeks for design and production of one part, depending of the complexity, the materials used, ect
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

carisi2k

Mclaren haven't been aggressive. Aggressive is what the rb14 with those tiny side pods and air intakes are. What Mclaren has done is build an extremely restrictive chassis. Mclaren are nowhere near the top 3 in performance and their problem at the moment is that they think they are somewhere that they are not. Those of you who say that the STR is built with plenty of spare room are kidding themselves. The airbox might be a little bigger to cater for the halo but the rest of the package is just as tight as the other midfield teams. They along with Mercedes last year introduced the higher front suspension setup and there are lots of nice details which I will leave for the STR13 thread.

My point is that sometimes you have to walk before you can run and mclaren are not in a position to run at the moment. They don't have 10+ years experience with Renault that Red Bull have. They are no longer a factory outfit like Renault and going the STR route is not such a bad idea especially when you see the laptimes, stints and total laps that car is doing.

In concluding I believe that Mclaren's problem is that they think they have an mp4/4 in the garage when in fact they have an mp4/9 in the garage.

cyclon

bauc wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 11:28
cyclon wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 11:25
bauc wrote:

Nope, noting of that sort, the problem with heat pocket can only be found when the car is actually on track.If you go back and read the statements made they advised well in advance that they will use a ''basic'' configuration for testing and that they were working for 2 months on the major update for Melbourne. The reason is, the late decision of the engine change and the fact that they were already 2 weeks behind schedule in development.

From what I've heard, it takes around 3 to 6 weeks for design and production of one part, depending of the complexity, the materials used, ect
I agree, i just meant that he knew they went from most aggressive to conservative way than from conservative to aggressive.

makecry
makecry

bauc wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Thunder wrote:

Well Prodromou siad that the car in Melbourne will look dramatically different,
I just hope this heating issues are not changing their plans, coz its probably too late to produce revised parts now for the first race
Did he? I think he said they have a "decent" upgrade package for Melbourne. I might be wrong but I dont remember anything about saying "look dramatically different".

radosav
radosav

carisi2k wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 11:35
Mclaren haven't been aggressive. Aggressive is what the rb14 with those tiny side pods and air intakes are. What Mclaren has done is build an extremely restrictive chassis. Mclaren are nowhere near the top 3 in performance and their problem at the moment is that they think they are somewhere that they are not. Those of you who say that the STR is built with plenty of spare room are kidding themselves. The airbox might be a little bigger to cater for the halo but the rest of the package is just as tight as the other midfield teams. They along with Mercedes last year introduced the higher front suspension setup and there are lots of nice details which I will leave for the STR13 thread.

My point is that sometimes you have to walk before you can run and mclaren are not in a position to run at the moment. They don't have 10+ years experience with Renault that Red Bull have. They are no longer a factory outfit like Renault and going the STR route is not such a bad idea especially when you see the laptimes, stints and total laps that car is doing.

In concluding I believe that Mclaren's problem is that they think they have an mp4/4 in the garage when in fact they have an mp4/9 in the garage.
I agree with you, in a way.
They behave like they are running, while they are actualy walking compared to top three teams.
It happens when you start to walk after three years of limping.

restless
restless

carisi2k wrote:
Mclaren haven't been aggressive. Aggressive is what the rb14 with those tiny side pods and air intakes are. What Mclaren has done is build an extremely restrictive chassis. Mclaren are nowhere near the top 3 in performance and their problem at the moment is that they think they are somewhere that they are not.
We have no idea of relative performance. Not until Melburn qualy.

cyclon

makecry wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 11:40
bauc wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

Well Prodromou siad that the car in Melbourne will look dramatically different,
I just hope this heating issues are not changing their plans, coz its probably too late to produce revised parts now for the first race
Did he? I think he said they have a "decent" upgrade package for Melbourne. I might be wrong but I dont remember anything about saying "look dramatically different".
I do remember the "dramatically" word !
Except if i have the "Mandella syndrome" :?

cyclon

radosav wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 11:42
carisi2k wrote:

I agree with you, in a way.
They behave like they are running, while they are actualy walking compared to top three teams.
It happens when you start to walk after three years of limping.
You are a bit too harsh..
Being 4th or even 5th is a real progress compared to the last 3 years.

Gerhardsa

I doubt it will look way different from the car we see now.
We've heard teams say that a lot in the past, only to have certain upgraded parts and a few add-ons here and there.
McLaren are not suddenly going to pop up in Melbourne with Ferrari side pod intakes, and Mercedes scoop nose design.
Barge boards will probably be a big upgrade, as well as turning vanes around the side pods upgraded. Maybe some changed to the floor ?(maybe engine cover?)

But then again, if they do I will take my hat off to them and gladly eat it :D
I do want them to do well this year