2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

That last stint on the Mediums looks decent, roughly the same pace as Ferrari and Red Bull. Finally something positive to mull over.

Also hit the 150 laps mark in the end, productive day.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Xero wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 19:08
That last stint on the Mediums looks decent, roughly the same pace as Ferrari and Red Bull. Finally something positive to mull over.
How do we look compared to STR and Haas over long run?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

kurwex
kurwex

Did they test quali pace?

BrunoH
BrunoH

verstappen does not even consider Mclaren as a threat..
i guess i have to agree with what i have seen so far.

PhillipM
PhillipM

I think Verstappen should worry about all the stays Red Bull have had to fit to his car to stop parts falling off than Mclaren tbh...

GoranF1
GoranF1

Compared to Vettel long run its about 20-25 sec slower but Vandoorne was on the wrong tyre as Medium was clearly better than soft now....Vet and Ver did not even use Soft....all things consider not to bad race sim....would be nice to compare to Mclaren direct oponents this year Haas and STR.

DFX
DFX

GoranF1 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 19:40
Compared to Vettel long run its about 20-25 sec slower but Vandoorne was on the wrong tyre as Medium was clearly better than soft now....Vet and Ver did not even use Soft....all things consider not to bad race sim....would be nice to compare to Mclaren direct oponents this year Haas and STR.
Like was said, the pace on mediuns is on par with Ferrari em RBR, albeit a little bit slower if they were all in equal conditions. Haas and Str do not have that pace at all, you cant be serious if you expect that this will be mclarens fight.

Str and Haas showed today something more close to their true pace, others didnt, thats it.

GoranF1
GoranF1

DFX wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 19:49
GoranF1 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 19:40
Like was said, the pace on mediuns is on par with Ferrari em RBR, albeit a little bit slower if they were all in equal conditions. Haas and Str do not have that pace at all, you cant be serious if you expect that this will be mclarens fight.

Str and Haas showed today something more close to their true pace, others didnt, thats it.
I do hope you are right!!!

restless
restless

Boulier must be sacked.
Andres125sx wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 18:26
restless wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:37

Lol, yea, its a 2$ bolt that failed, or hose for 0.1$, cutting the engine cover is minor too.
No need to overreact, but fact is - Mclaren badly NEEDED good mileage during tests. loosing 3 days is NOT acceptable whatever the spin. It makes so much harder to be prepared for Melburn.
I'm ok with early integration problems. I fully expected Mc to use first 4 races for fixing small gremlins.
But I can't accept the bullshit with "minor problems". Who needs these stupid remarks?!

PS:
Eric Boulier must be sacked.
What 3 days?

Yesterday, despite the problems, they managed to do 100 laps
Beg your pardon you must live in some other dimension.
They made 47 laps before engine blew
and 10 more in last 10minutes of the day, when all others had already finished
57 total.
Or you count twice any lap by Alonso?

Today was only second day when full program was executed, so far 1 day lost to weather (and Boulier complaining that Williams denied possibility to have 1 more training day) , another half-day also weather and 2 days lost to malfunctions (Boulier&Brown&Alonso claiming 8 days are too much! WTF???)

ollandos
ollandos

the pace arround tires looks little strange...looks like M its very fast and better from s and ss ..with lower deg...after 2-3 laps its faster ..i think team is little back from top3 at the moment ..i think the target to be max. half second of faster car its realistic ...about the others top teams i think all its about track ...they are very very close ..not more 0.2-0.3....great for season with crazy ups and downs ....

RonDennis
RonDennis

BrunoH wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 19:18
Well I didn't expect that McLaren would beat Red Bull, but if they're a second of the Red Bull cars they should shut their mouths for the coming 9 months and work hard. Vandoorne also confirmed again that the car will look very different in Melbourne.

Xero

ollandos wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:14
the pace arround tires looks little strange...looks like M its very fast and better from s and ss ..with lower deg...after 2-3 laps its faster
It's not really that strange. Softer tires work better in the slower corners, where mechanical grip takes precedence over aero. In the faster corners they begin to slide and overheat, losing grip and adding to wear. Harder tires work much better in faster corners as they don't overheat as much, giving better grip. Given Barcelona is a high speed track, the Medium tyre is much quicker through the first 2 sectors, while giving up a small amount in the final twisty sector. The softer tires get punished in the first 2 sectors and sometimes don't have enough life left in them in the final sector to make them worthwhile.

BrunoH
BrunoH

i think Mclaren come Australia, will be running around 1.5 to 1.8 sec slower than Mercedes... give and take by what info we can see from the tests

i know there are multiple variables but thats the feeling i have, so around the same as last year with honda

GoranF1
GoranF1

That race sim puts mclaren around 25 seconds behind Ferrari....last year in BCN that was impossible.
And comsidering speed trap RB atm runs more power than Renault and Mclaren

nokivasara
nokivasara

RonDennis wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:44
BrunoH wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 19:18
Well I didn't expect that McLaren would beat Red Bull, but if they're a second of the Red Bull cars they should shut their mouths for the coming 9 months and work hard. Vandoorne also confirmed again that the car will look very different in Melbourne.
I find it odd that they since the launch have said to have a "totally different" car ready for the first race, how can they be sure it will work better than this spec? Would suck to have small issues (like an exhaust clamp) at the first race whilst knowing that these could have been sorted during the tests...