2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I don't think anyone is expecting the testing spec Mclaren to be up front.

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

Redragon wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:44
bauc wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:40
GoranF1 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:39
Force India is doing 1.18' s on medium...hmmm
WRONG TOPIC!
depending how you look at it. that time is a scary from a Mclaren point of view
No... ocon with HS

mclaren111

Autosport:

16:04 I'm watching down at Turn 9, and the Mercedes looks absolutely immense through here. Despite obviously carrying more fuel on board, the car looks really fast - Bottas has the tiniest of lifts of the throttle.

It’s nice to finally see Alonso on track and true to form he’s not short of commitment. He tried to go into Turn 9 flat but the car won’t take it and he has to have a quick lift near the apex to avoid running out of road.

Karun Chandhok

DFX
DFX

mclaren111 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:12
Autosport:

16:04 I'm watching down at Turn 9, and the Mercedes looks absolutely immense through here. Despite obviously carrying more fuel on board, the car looks really fast - Bottas has the tiniest of lifts of the throttle.

It’s nice to finally see Alonso on track and true to form he’s not short of commitment. He tried to go into Turn 9 flat but the car won’t take it and he has to have a quick lift near the apex to avoid running out of road.

Karun Chandhok
So its basically the same statment, one praising Mercedes and the other criticizing Mclaren?

Redragon

DFX wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:16
mclaren111 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:12
Autosport:

Karun Chandhok
So its basically the same statment, one praising Mercedes and the other criticizing Mclaren?
Well Mercedes has been running more so the car has better setting, Alonso to be fair has been running 20 laps so far this afternoon. So the comments are a bit relevant

cyclon

16:17 McLaren's issue this morning was with its turbo. The power unit was changed.

That IMHO maybe comes in place with my previous comment about problematic exhaust system from day 1.
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

zonk
zonk

marvin78
marvin78

Is this slapstick? I sense some Jokers at McLaren.

cyclon

Vandoorne's number , so at least yesterday's news !

Maybe more, as i am missing the air inlets in the back...
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

McG

bauc wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 14:44
Just for reference, last season RBR had multiple turbo failures, few of which costing Max and Riccardo good points and a WIN. I don't think this is Mclaren only issue.
Unfortunately this is the case. We have to remind ourselves that changing to Renault seemed like the only choice to make because the Honda was even worse than Renault.

Now it's looking like Honda have really got their act together (correct me if I'm wrong). And Renault haven't improved have they?

I would like to give McLaren the benefit of the doubt about the failures, but I suspect Podromu just like Newey is pushing the packaging over the limit.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

McG

Redragon wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 21:06
McG wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 18:15
Redragon wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 04:49
Well obviously is just the first test and final conclusions can't be made but I don't think @GoranF1 is far from reality
So far it is what we all knew or expected 1. Mercedes 2. Ferrari 3. Redbull 4 or 5 Renault or Mclaren.
It looks like the 4th would be depending on what Renault is gonna do to determining if Mclaren is 4th or 5th
By reading Sky analysis, BBC and other main media from the first week all coincide around the same terms.
So it is not to crazy to say Mclaren is 5th at this stage
You're giving Renault a lot of positivity. Why not Williams with its first full Paddy Lowe car or Force India the Mercedes B team with 2 great drivers. Red Bull could get it wrong and Ferrari could be ahead of Mercedes. NO ONE KNOWS AND YOU ARE JUST GUESSING.

It's just all very daft guessing after that test.
Man can you read?
You can't just make a statement in the beginning that the following will be nonsense and fantasy. Either post the first statement with nothing following it or post what you are going to post and we will know that's what YOU think, rather than having a lame disclaimer that you really don't have a clue.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Alonso Fan

From the BBC sport live testing page:

Fernando Alonso stopped on the track earlier on...

“It was related to the chassis oil leak we had on Tuesday, a consequence,” McLaren’s racing director Eric Boullier said of the problem that halted Fernando Alonso this morning. “This is now under investigation. We have changed the PU so the car is running now.”

During the press conference a reporter asked Boullier about the reliability problems McLaren is having, plus a bungled pit stop yesterday.

“We did eight pit stops live yesterday, seven were good, one was wrong, and this is the only one you refer to, so I am going to refer to the seven good,” Boullier said.

“We want to be competitive; we have an ambitious design. You can see that the car is a little bit different from the other Renault engine cars. So far we had minor issues, but that was because we did not do a good enough job to prepare the car. We are a little bit stretched in terms of lead time and delayed.

“I think very quickly we are going to get back to normal.”
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 09 Mar 2018, 17:48, edited 2 times in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

According to Sky, Mclaren believe they're in the middle of the pack🤔was that the plan?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

cyclon

McG wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 17:12
bauc wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 14:44
Just for reference, last season RBR had multiple turbo failures, few of which costing Max and Riccardo good points and a WIN. I don't think this is Mclaren only issue.
Unfortunately this is the case. We have to remind ourselves that changing to Renault seemed like the only choice to make because the Honda was even worse than Renault.

Now it's looking like Honda have really got their act together (correct me if I'm wrong). And Renault haven't improved have they?

I would like to give McLaren the benefit of the doubt about the failures, but I suspect Podromu just like Newey is pushing the packaging over the limit.

I think that your last sentence says it all .
McLaren is pushing over the limit , do not forget the moto #BeBrave ...

marvin78
marvin78

Ground Effect wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 17:28
According to Sky, Mclaren believe they're in the middle of the pack🤔was that the plan?
What plan should they have? That's much better than last years. A plan to come on top after this years would be ridiculously bad.