2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McHonda
McHonda

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 05:50
Still running basic testing aero package?

Perhaps still got compromises on cooling until upgraded parts are fitted?
New diffuser,brake ducts and something else I've completely forgotten as I'm typing,lol. I'll have a check.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

According to Motorsport.com, Fernando would have been quicker, but had a scruffy sector 3. Stoffel, 0.5secs behind set his time on the softs, compared to Fernando's supersofts. The caveat of course is unknown fuel loads and reliability still seems to be a worry, but small positives.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McHonda
McHonda

Time done in less than 6 laps, no set up work and with staggered updates planned over the first few races I'll take that for a straight out the box starting point. Ditto for Vandoorne on the harder compound. Obviously you'd rather be a lot closer to the Red Bull but it's a long old season and not a bad starting point if they can clinch 4th here.

Weather can make it a bit of a lottery though tomorrow. Could work out well or badly.

Vasconia

They said that all the problems were solved, I can see it.... :roll:

Steven
Owner

Vasconia wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 09:16
Don't be so dramatic and negative...

bauc

Nice job by the team in FP2, the car is still very ''basic'' so its obvious that they are not where they want to be, but if the updates that are coming are working then I can see them in fight for P4 in constructors this year
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Bisonas

https://imgur.com/a/odLIx

Watching the differences on BSPD3 and BEST SPEED the lowest margin by far its for Alonso. Weird to see so abnormal margin. Its like he wasn't opening DRS on the whole straight or something, which i don't believe to be the case.Maybe Deployment issue. OR maybe he is using more downforce than the others. At least on those runs. It seems he carries more speed in the corner , has a good traction out of it, he arrives on start finish line with higher speed than other Renault engine cars and then downforce/drag catches up and keep his top speed low.
I don't know, It just looks weird.
Any Ideas ??

Vasconia

Steven wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 09:38
Vasconia wrote:
Don´t get me wrong, I dont expect an awfull season, the car has potential but the team was claiming that all problems were 100% solved when it was not true and those problems have appeared inmediately. They should be more cautious with their statements.

makecry
makecry

Vasconia wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 10:27
Steven wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Don´t get me wrong, I dont expect an awfull season, the car has potential but the team was claiming that all problems were 100% solved when it was not true and those problems have appeared inmediately. They should be more cautious with their statements.
They had a minor issue and then ran in both sessions flawlessly. So I honestly dont know what you are talking about.

Anyway, yes. Eric Boullier needs to stop talking so much and as much as I am a fan of Fernando, he kinda talks up their chances often but his interview yesterday wasn't really talking up their chances, instead he said we need a few races to understand the car and integration.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

My understanding of Eric's statements were that they know what were the issues and how to fix them, not that they actually did (not all of them).
For some changes just takes time and that is it.

They need running, running running...

makecry
makecry

ivanlesk wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 10:34
My understanding of Eric's statements were that they know what were the issues and how to fix them, not that they actually did (not all of them).
For some changes just takes time and that is it.

They need running, running running...
I do believe they need time but I am sure they said the issues were fixed at the factory, which might very well be true but regardless, it's always better to just shut up and let the results do the talking.

McL-H
McL-H

It’s time to roll some heads. Starting with Boullier. 4th season with him as head of the racing team. 4th start with massive problems. He has to go.

Vasconia

makecry wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 10:32
Vasconia wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 10:27
Steven wrote:

They had a minor issue and then ran in both sessions flawlessly. So I honestly dont know what you are talking about.

Anyway, yes. Eric Boullier needs to stop talking so much and as much as I am a fan of Fernando, he kinda talks up their chances often but his interview yesterday wasn't really talking up their chances, instead he said we need a few races to understand the car and integration.
Alonso´s comment sounded much more reasonable.

max_speed
max_speed

bauc wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 10:04
Nice job by the team in FP2, the car is still very ''basic'' so its obvious that they are not where they want to be, but if the updates that are coming are working then I can see them in fight for P4 in constructors this year
i can see them fighting with top 3 after few races but i will wait till bahrain before firmly believing in it.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Does anybody know how they compare on the long runs, especially against HAAS, Renault & STR?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.