2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Bisonas wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 13:23
http://i64.tinypic.com/33nuq3c.jpg

IMO The speeds are perfectly fine.
If you take in comparison the cars that where running in free air on the last part of the race, (Alonso, Kimi, Vetel etc) their finish line speed and their top speed is similar. Only in Intermediate1 trap you see Kimi much faster there, and that probably happen because he got a tow passing some backmarker before T6.

Now if you see all the cars that where following other cars, (Hamilton, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Hulkenberg Perez, Bottas etc) they all have higher speeds on most traps and that's normal. Especially on start finish line and top speed traps they had DRS along with a possible tow.

Race Speeds are useless, too many other factors make them so.

diffuser

Lucky wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 11:19
diffuser wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 03:15
Their weakest sector was S3. I didn't like their speed at the start finish line, it was between 2 and 4 KPH slower than the other Renaults. That last curve is taken at as much throttle as the chassis can bare. So if you're slower than the other chassis with the same PU, they're able to get on the throttle sooner(more Downforce).
McLaren is the fastest on the finish line in qualifying
https://fastpic.co/images/IMG_20180326_161512.jpg
TO BE Honest, I hadn't noticed Vandoorne's numbers. Presuming all other things are equal, I would have to say he was running more wing to explain the faster Speed at the finish line but slowest at the trap.

Difference Between Speed trap and Finish line
The---------	Finish	Speed	
Driver------	Line	Trap	Diff
Vandoorne	302.0	308.0	6.0
Fer Alonzo	299.8	309.8	10.0
Car Sainz	301.0	310.4	9.4
Hulkenburg	301.3	309.9	8.6
Ricciardo	299.2	311.1	11.9
Verstappen	301.0	312.5	11.5

proteus

To me, the progress needed are points at every race. But i doubt it will happen. There will definetly be races where they wont score, but in Monaco, Hungary, Austria, Austin...this tracks could be their chances to score with both cars.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

proteus wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:45

To me, the progress needed are points at every race. But i doubt it will happen. There will definetly be races where they wont score, but in Monaco, Hungary, Austria, Austin...this tracks could be their chances to score with both cars.
Not sure about Austria, it's a power track, from current showing Haas will be strong there, along with the usual suspects.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Bisonas

diffuser wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 14:32
Bisonas wrote:

If you take in comparison the cars that where running in free air on the last part of the race, (Alonso, Kimi, Vetel etc) their finish line speed and their top speed is similar. Only in Intermediate1 trap you see Kimi much faster there, and that probably happen because he got a tow passing some backmarker before T6.

Now if you see all the cars that where following other cars, (Hamilton, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Hulkenberg Perez, Bottas etc) they all have higher speeds on most traps and that's normal. Especially on start finish line and top speed traps they had DRS along with a possible tow.

Race speeds are never useless If you know what to look for. You can discard the useless and artificial information but you can also find useful information on them on each race. Thats why we have them in the first place.
Now if you personally find them useless, you can just discard my post. Don't try to make others that can find some useful information on them wrong.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:49
proteus wrote:

Not sure about Austria, it's a power track, from current showing Haas will be strong there, along with the usual suspects.
Let's just wait and see. Boullier and Alonso seem to be pretty confident that they will make some huge steps. Fightning with Haas in the second part of the season would be disappointing to me. I know about their Ferrari support, but their development has been terrible.

diffuser

Bisonas wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 18:09
diffuser wrote:
Bisonas wrote:

Race speeds are never useless If you know what to look for. You can discard the useless and artificial information but you can also find useful information on them on each race. Thats why we have them in the first place.
Now if you personally find them useless, you can just discard my post. Don't try to make others that can find some useful information on them wrong.
So what does that tell you about a specific cars characteristics ?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 20:22
Ground Effect wrote:
proteus wrote:

Let's just wait and see. Boullier and Alonso seem to be pretty confident that they will make some huge steps. Fightning with Haas in the second part of the season would be disappointing to me. I know about their Ferrari support, but their development has been terrible.
I'm kind of suspicious about the Haas/Ferrari collaboration. I think they're going above and beyond what they FIA allow with listed parts. Either they've found a loophole or are breaking rules outright. Before preseason started, they said they wanted to be 0.5secs off the works Ferrari. Those are quite lofty expectations for a team that finished 8th previous season and so far haven't shown anything special aerodynamically in previous seasons. They knew what they were doing. I know this is off topic, but I'm looking at it in relation to fighting with Mclaren.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Bisonas

diffuser wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 20:48
Bisonas wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 18:09
diffuser wrote:

So what does that tell you about a specific cars characteristics ?
I think i already said what those race speeds tells me,and i also explained my logic behind it. You only have to read it a few posts back.
On AUS track, Renault engines using their race modes, wheren't lacking too much top speed, compare to Ferrari engines using race modes. And i speak about Ferrari because Vetel Raikonen and Alonso where running on free air, and all their speeds where in the same range without none of them having DRS. I am not speaking about downforce levels,car setup,drag, cornering speed or traction. We can't possible know how much downforce each car is running, or how much drag it has, but what ever the setups, Renault engines could stand their ground, and possible defend against Ferrari engines. If you ask me if Vetel was behind Alonso, he wouldn't be able to pass him. Thats for AUS.

Now you tell me, what Qualifying speed charts tell you, about Sundays race, when they are using engine modes, that will never use in the race??

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 21:00
RonDennis wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 20:22
Ground Effect wrote:

I'm kind of suspicious about the Haas/Ferrari collaboration. I think they're going above and beyond what they FIA allow with listed parts. Either they've found a loophole or are breaking rules outright. Before preseason started, they said they wanted to be 0.5secs off the works Ferrari. Those are quite lofty expectations for a team that finished 8th previous season and so far haven't shown anything special aerodynamically in previous seasons. They knew what they were doing. I know this is off topic, but I'm looking at it in relation to fighting with Mclaren.
Well, it seems to be a copy of the Ferrari from last year, don't know if that's allowed, but I guess it is. Haas can say that it isn't true, but they're the only one.

godlameroso

Idea for next update.

:D
Saishū kōnā

DFX
DFX

godlameroso wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 04:32
https://i.imgur.com/78SmVJ1.jpg

Idea for next update.

:D
Come on man! This is ridiculous.. this should be on chassis topic :mrgreen:

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

bauc

Thanks for sharing this, I'm now a prime member :)
Last edited by bauc on 27 Mar 2018, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Bisonas

Thanks for sharing also :)