2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Joseki
Joseki

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

loner

para bellum.

McMika98
McMika98

It sounds like squeaky bum time in Mclaren. Haas has nowhere near the budget or personnel of Macca yet they are ahead. Why make those promises preseason and now blame the failure on reality of having less resources? To add insult, EB claims Renault have more people to justify not leaping them, seriously? I guess the engines are made by robots.

diffuser

McMika98 wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 18:29
It sounds like squeaky bum time in Mclaren. Haas has nowhere near the budget or personnel of Macca yet they are ahead. Why make those promises preseason and now blame the failure on reality of having less resources? To add insult, EB claims Renault have more people to justify not leaping them, seriously? I guess the engines are made by robots.
I read they that RBR did a better job. That McLaren screwed up on the cooling so they had to divert resources on that at the expense of the Australian upgrade package.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McMika98 wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 18:29
:-D :roll: :D :D :D :P Squeaky bum time...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Whatever the case is currently with Mclaren, this is not a good look. These facts about budgets, staff etc are well known facts. But it didn't stop them from making promises and assertions prior to testing... It seems like Eric is backtracking. He's not even being diplomatic about it.... I hope he's sandbagging. (for lack of a better word)
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McL-H
McL-H

I said it before, will say it again and be downvoted again. But EB is not the right man to lead our team. Racing team should be lead by Ron Dennis.

Big Tea

You can call me what ever you like, Ex Mclaren fan or what ever (OK it may be temporary disorientation and I will drift back home) but the problems are not what is or is not happening, its the way things are (or are not happening). Mclaren used to be so sharp you could cut yourself thinking of them. Now they seem to be running in circles screaming and getting nothing done.

Example. The pitstop fracas. Ok. nothing some one has not done before, but when did Mclaren do it before? The poor design of the rear lift. Mclaren of old would never have let that slip through as far as real testing.

Mclaren used to be the example of 'getting it right' now they often seem like a first year team. If it was someone else, I may cut them a little slack, but it is Mclaren so I will not. Its like watching your hero get humiliated. Is it Bullier? Not alone. There has been a huge gap left by Ron Dennis and even to an extent bu Whitmarsh that has not been filled.
Goss is an engineer, not an administrator, Neile seems like a good man but again a design man. They lack a general who can make things happen. Norbert Huge where are you when you are needed. Rob Smedly would have been a perfect fit there too.

(exit rant mode)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Joseki
Joseki

Eric said that the reason why they are behind is because Red Bull simply did a better job, but they still aim at them.

He hasn't backtracked anything if you read the article.

Joseki
Joseki

Big Tea wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 20:12
You can call me what ever you like, Ex Mclaren fan or what ever (OK it may be temporary disorientation and I will drift back home) but the problems are not what is or is not happening, its the way things are (or are not happening). Mclaren used to be so sharp you could cut yourself thinking of them. Now they seem to be running in circles screaming and getting nothing done.

Example. The pitstop fracas. Ok. nothing some one has not done before, but when did Mclaren do it before? The poor design of the rear lift. Mclaren of old would never have let that slip through as far as real testing.

Mclaren used to be the example of 'getting it right' now they often seem like a first year team. If it was someone else, I may cut them a little slack, but it is Mclaren so I will not. Its like watching your hero get humiliated. Is it Bullier? Not alone. There has been a huge gap left by Ron Dennis and even to an extent bu Whitmarsh that has not been filled.
Goss is an engineer, not an administrator, Neile seems like a good man but again a design man. They lack a general who can make things happen. Norbert Huge where are you when you are needed. Rob Smedly would have been a perfect fit there too.

(exit rant mode)
McLaren of old designed the MP4-18 and the MP4-20, you're idealizing the "past" McLaren.

Big Tea

Joseki wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 20:22
Big Tea wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 20:12

(exit rant mode)
McLaren of old designed the MP4-18 and the MP4-20, you're idealizing the "past" McLaren.
Just the good bits :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

the EDGE
the EDGE

McLaren reckon there is a lot more performance to bolt on in the next few races, including a new nose set to debut in Spain.
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12536/ ... 2018-start

Bisonas

Guys common.
It's a completely different ballgame this year. For the Team, for the drivers, for the fans, for everybody.
No matter what will happen in Bahrain we are gonna watch the gp, with a level of excitement we never had in the last 3 years. And that stands for the whole season actually.You now have a realistic chance to do well. Its in Mclarens hands to do well. They are not in that helpless situation any more.
All Mclaren fans should be optimistic. IMO at Barcelona we will know if Mclaren has a realistic chance of catching RB this year. But even if Mclaren dosn't catch RB this year , it gonna be a good season for Mclaren.

Alonso Fan

Bisonas wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 23:26
No matter what will happen in Bahrain we are gonna watch the gp, with a level of excitement we never had in the last 3 years.
^^This

At least there is hope, at least we know they're not going to be so vulnerable on the straights anymore, at least we know that when Alonso or Vandoorne make good places up at the start, they're not going to lose them all by the end of the race. We have some reassurance now.

But there is still work to do. Barge board update due in Bahrain
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Mansell89
Mansell89

I think there are reasons for some cautious optimism. The car performed solidly in Melbourne despite the updates not being ready in time, so we know small improvements are due.

The hugely important Renault PU update could really boost the 3 teams too when that eventually drops, which is when they all get an updated MGHU I think? If that adds some good horsepower then that’s a nice free performance gain.

The other thing as well is the fact that this has been a big engine change, which will be better optimised in time. Next season is a clean run with Renault so this season naturally has them on the back foot (slightly).

Solid start, but they have to deliver on the potential. Looking forward to seeing how they go in Bahrain.