2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

From the same article, this part is interesting.

"If the Bahrain parts work as expected, this could give the McLaren-Renault MCL33 a boost of several tenths of a second per lap."
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

makecry
makecry

Ground Effect wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:15

"If the Bahrain parts work as expected, this could give the McLaren-Renault MCL33 a boost of several tenths of a second per lap."
It's not really a quote so putting a quotation on it kinda skews the statement, it's the journalist's opinion, not a fact and differentiating between facts vs opinion is very important.

Andres125sx

McMika98 wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 18:17
Andres125sx wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 11:46
]

Ahead of who? Not even ahead of STR actually, and the important position are at the end of the season. If you will I can bet something with you McLaren will beat Haas by a good margin at the end of the season.

Not ahead now, and not ahead at the end of the season so, what are you talking about?.

What failure? 5th on their very first races with a new PU manufacturer is a failure? Beating one RBR on their very first race with the PU they´re using for a lot of seasons is a failure?

Look like some people had their rants prepared before the race, and they didn´t even bothered to check the race.... #-o
Dude take a chill pill.What rants? Did u watch Haas outqualify Mclaren and lead then in race? Thats reality admitted by EB and Mclaren for now. Yes they can and will do something about it. But after all the preseason hype they have been suprised by the competition so far by their own admission.
Anyway if u are so confident then lets make it fair. Revisit the landscape at the end of season and see where they are against Red Bull and Renault cause thats the competition.
The hype was about McLaren chassis wich they claim is very good. I´d say that hype has been confirmed true, as they put a car between both RBR cars, thanks to Max mistake, ok, but the car must be good to take advantage of that mistake. Can you imagine McLaren-Honda beating one RBR because they made a mistake? No way

McLaren has also said they need some GPs before solving the ineludible problems a new PU brings, but some people only hear the statements wich will support their rants, so they took the most biased statement they´ve heard to bash McLaren.

Being over-optimistic is standard in pre-season. Ferrari and RBR claiming they´ll be title contenders, McLaren claiming they´ll be RBR and Ferrari contenders, FI, Haas and Renault claiming they´ll be the fourth team.... nothing new here, specially when they´re willing to sign in new sponsors

Haas perfomance was very good, but "to finish first you must first finish", and they didn´t, so right now they´re the last team in the table. In next GPs they should jump several teams, but in next GPs it´s also very possible to see Haas perfomance decreased after those teams bring in new updates, so we can´t know what will happen in the future

What we know right now is this:

1 FERRARI 40
2 MERCEDES 22
3 RED BULL RACING TAG HEUER 20
4 MCLAREN RENAULT 12
5 RENAULT 7
6 FORCE INDIA MERCEDES 0
7 SAUBER FERRARI 0
8 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
9 SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO HONDA 0
10 HAAS FERRARI 0

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

makecry wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 12:19
Ground Effect wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:15

It's not really a quote so putting a quotation on it kinda skews the statement, it's the journalist's opinion, not a fact and differentiating between facts vs opinion is very important.
I'm quoting the journalist, not paraphrasing what was said in the article, hence the quotation marks. It's obvious it wasn't said by Eric.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

RonDennis
RonDennis

It isn't that hard to understand. McLaren still lack some funds. If they don't run into any problems, they can compete at a high level. But because of the problems in the winter they needed their staff to fix those problems, while Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari can probably do development and problem fixing at the same time. Simply because they have more money and more people. Just lower your expectations, because McLaren won't be winning any championships with their current budget. They need a few big sponsors or a budget cap.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 14:54
It isn't that hard to understand. McLaren still lack some funds. If they don't run into any problems, they can compete at a high level. But because of the problems in the winter they needed their staff to fix those problems, while Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari can probably do development and problem fixing at the same time. Simply because they have more money and more people. Just lower your expectations, because McLaren won't be winning any championships with their current budget. They need a few big sponsors or a budget cap.
Can a budget cap be enforced?

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 15:17
RonDennis wrote:
Let's hope. F1 certainly needs it. Force India was already short of money when they finished 4th, imagine what will happen if they'll end up 8th (which is a possibility). We need more teams that can be competitive. Ferrari and Mercedes should take responsibility for that, although I'm afraid not much will happen. The sad thing is that the teams are making up the rules, which is just crazy.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 15:46
Ground Effect wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
Let's hope. F1 certainly needs it. Force India was already short of money when they finished 4th, imagine what will happen if they'll end up 8th (which is a possibility). We need more teams that can be competitive. Ferrari and Mercedes should take responsibility for that, although I'm afraid not much will happen. The sad thing is that the teams are making up the rules, which is just crazy.
I agree... But I have to say, even though I know it's an uphill task bringing in sponsorship to F1 these days, I personally thought Zak Brown would have done better. I'm not saying he's done or doing a bad job, I just felt he'd have found a blockbuster name, like Amazon, Apple, etc. The top guys, especially Ferrari will never agree to the budget cap, so finding high yield sponsorship is vital.

Andres125sx

Ground Effect wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 16:01
I agree... But I have to say, even though I know it's an uphill task bringing in sponsorship to F1 these days, I personally thought Zak Brown would have done better. I'm not saying he's done or doing a bad job, I just felt he'd have found a blockbuster name, like Amazon, Apple, etc.
Maybe that´s the reason they switched to Renault, with the perfomance and results they were getting it was unrealistic to expect a blockbuster name to sponsor McLaren

2017 F1 team standings:

1 MERCEDES 668
2 FERRARI 522
3 RED BULL RACING TAG HEUER 368
4 FORCE INDIA MERCEDES 187
5 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 83
6 RENAULT 57
7 TORO ROSSO 53
8 HAAS FERRARI 47
9 MCLAREN HONDA 30
10 SAUBER FERRARI 5

godlameroso

Bisonas wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 17:05
diffuser wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 20:48
The---------	Finish	Speed	
Driver------	Line	Trap	Diff
Vandoorne	302.0	308.0	6.0
Fer Alonzo	299.8	309.8	10.0
Car Sainz	301.0	310.4	9.4
Hulkenburg	301.3	309.9	8.6
Ricciardo	299.2	311.1	11.9
Verstappen	301.0	312.5	11.5
Based on that I think Vandoorne was running more wing than Alonzo. that's why he's faster than Alo at the finished line but slower at the speed trap.

it looks like Renault's Downforce is higher and a little more efficient than Mclaren's and RBR is even better
Vandoorne maybe run slightly more downforce mate, it is highly possible yea, but its irrelevant.
And regarding the comparison above, Sainz, Hulk, Ricc, Ves, they all went to Q3. They all improved their times in Q3. RB drivers by a lot. Only Sainz didn't improve, because obviously he didn't put a good lap together, but its possible he did make a better S1 on his Q3 run and mess it up l8r, i have to check. So since the speed chart its not Q2 specific , you can't possibly compare efficiency and downforce levels between Renault and Mclaren.
And above all that, we know Alonso did mistakes on both runs on Q2. Especially on second run he did a very bad S1.
Of course RB was more efficient on Aero they where 0.9-1.2s faster on same engine in AUS.
But Renault ?? i don't really think so.
Anyway i am not going to debate this any more.
Its already off-topic by now.
McLaren was faster than Renault in terms of race pace, the Haas is about 3 or 4 tenths faster than the McLaren, it's very close, granted this is race pace. Qualifying won't be a McLaren strong suit for at least half of the season.
Saishū kōnā

zoroastar

Ground Effect wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

I agree... But I have to say, even though I know it's an uphill task bringing in sponsorship to F1 these days, I personally thought Zak Brown would have done better. I'm not saying he's done or doing a bad job, I just felt he'd have found a blockbuster name, like Amazon, Apple, etc. The top guys, especially Ferrari will never agree to the budget cap, so finding high yield sponsorship is vital.
i doubt if the never ending press that mclaren seem to draw helps very much, (being that its usually not good), at least for the last few years. im sure itll become a lot easier if we start to see some results, but still there are more sponsors pulling out of F1 than coming in it seems. f1 needs a budget cap in the worst way, it would probably bring in more sponsors in the long run to have a more even playing field.

Benii6
Benii6

godlameroso wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 19:15

Qualifying won't be a McLaren strong suit for at least half of the season.
How in the world did you come to that conclusion?

godlameroso

Because by then they'll have understood the power unit enough to get more out of it.
Saishū kōnā

proteus

zoroastar wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 19:24
Ground Effect wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

i doubt if the never ending press that mclaren seem to draw helps very much, (being that its usually not good), at least for the last few years. im sure itll become a lot easier if we start to see some results, but still there are more sponsors pulling out of F1 than coming in it seems. f1 needs a budget cap in the worst way, it would probably bring in more sponsors in the long run to have a more even playing field.

Main problem of the sport is there are 3 factory teams in it, providing 3 out of 4 available engines. However u put it, this three teams will not share all of their engine data, and they have massive advantage right from the start since they are making the engines to fit their needs and not the needs of costumers. Costumers are behind from the moment they get their fresh sets of engines before the season. F1 is literally hijacked right now.

The second big problem is that sattelite teams (especially in Ferraris case) are bound to cooperate with the factory team during races and move aside when the factory team is in need of their race position (this was seen especially in a race last year, where Magnussen really fought with Alonso, while he left Vettel past with no efforts to defend whatsoever).

As long as engine manufacturers are teams as well, so long we will see their reign in the sport (Ferrari has its special spot, so they are logically a team and an engine manufacturer). Sooner or later Renault will bridge the gap and all we will be able so will be 3 main contenders for the title.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

dren

godlameroso wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 19:31
Because by then they'll have understood the power unit enough to get more out of it.
How is Mclaren going to get more out of the power unit?
Honda!