2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Nuvolari

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Australia Qualifying RB vs McLaren

The Red Bull just destroys other cars in the quick corners. However, the McLaren seems quicker than the Ferrari in the corners. Compare with: Hamilton v Raikkonen

& Hamilton v Verstappen

Analysis here:

https://unendinginsight.wordpress.com/2 ... -analysis/

Dextercitox
Dextercitox

Impressive and very interesting !!! =D> =D>

Monster Hesh
Monster Hesh

Been hunting for that level of insight for years, thank you for bringing it to attention.

Andres125sx

Is that real telemetry or some sort of GPS based info?

Alonso Fan

Andres125sx wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 17:00
Looks like it's taken from onboard footage which shows telemetry
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Nuvolari

Andres125sx wrote:
It's from the F1 app, you can replay the qualifying session and record the laps you want to extract the speeds. AFAIK these weren't from video onboards...

From what I could work out, I'm estimating these time deltas:

Hamilton v Verstappen
+0.85s - straight
+0.35s - corners
-0.42s - corners

Alonso v Verstappen
+0.5s straight
+1.6s corners
-0.2s - corners

Raikkonen v Hamilton
+1.1s corners
-0.12s straights
-0.3s corners

Plus points for the McLaren compared to the RB was the exit speeds, seems closely matched, even though lacking quite a bit in the high speed corners. Good traction? Bahrain should be interesting...

Ironically, after Vettel's complaints about instability under braking, Raikkonen seems to have gained around 3 tenths on the brakes to Hamilton...

amho

Nuvolari wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 18:31
Andres125sx wrote:
It's from the F1 app, you can replay the qualifying session and record the laps you want to extract the speeds. AFAIK these weren't from video onboards...

Hamilton v Verstappen
+0.85s - straight
+0.35s - corners
-0.42s - corners

Alonso v Verstappen
+0.5s straight
+1.6s corners
-0.2s - corners

Raikkonen v Hamilton
+1.1s corners
-0.12s straights
-0.3s corners

Plus points for the McLaren compared to the RB was the exit speeds, seems closely matched, even though lacking quite a bit in the high speed corners. Good traction? Bahrain should be interesting...

Ironically, after Vettel's complaints about instability under braking, Raikkonen seems to have gained around 3 tenths on the brakes to Hamilton...
Could you tell us how was the best torro rosso against mclaren or renault?
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

Alonso Fan

Nuvolari wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Hamilton v Verstappen
+0.85s - straight
+0.35s - corners
-0.42s - corners

Alonso v Verstappen
+0.5s straight
+1.6s corners
-0.2s - corners

Raikkonen v Hamilton
+1.1s corners
-0.12s straights
-0.3s corners

You might be right about not being from video on boards but then have a look at the comments section :)

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Chicane
Chicane

Quickshifter

zoroastar

Nuvolari wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 11:48

https://unendinginsight.files.wordpress ... vs_alo.png

The Red Bull just destroys other cars in the quick corners. However, the McLaren seems quicker than the Ferrari in the corners. Compare with: Hamilton v Raikkonen

https://unendinginsight.files.wordpress ... vs_rai.png

& Hamilton v Verstappen

https://unendinginsight.files.wordpress ... vs_ver.png

Analysis here:

does anyone know which corner Alonso made a mistake in? i remember seeing that he said that he made a mistake in his Q2 lap costing him up to half a second? i dont see anything that stands out except maybe in 11 & 12. im not an expert in reading that graph though.

Osiris
Osiris

I believe he made a mistake at turn 3/4 and that carried thru the whole lap to cost him about 5 tenths.

Turns 11/12 was good. RB just has a superb chassis to fly thru esses like that.

I think the back end stepped out in turn 16.

makecry
makecry

Nuvolari wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 11:48

https://unendinginsight.files.wordpress ... vs_alo.png

https://unendinginsight.files.wordpress ... vs_rai.png

& Hamilton v Verstappen

https://unendinginsight.files.wordpress ... vs_ver.png

Analysis here:

Is there a direct comparison between Ferrari and ALO which shows McLaren to be quicker than Ferrari in corners? I mean, yeah I can see the graph and check but it would still be good to see it overlaid on each other.

Nuvolari

Alonso Fan wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 22:48
Nuvolari wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
It's from the F1 app, you can replay the qualifying session and record the laps you want to extract the speeds. AFAIK these weren't from video onboards... [...}
You might be right about not being from video on boards but then have a look at the comments section :)
[...]
I think in that particular case he'd used video, in another post he details his methods where he says he's using both video and F1 app.
amho wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 19:26
Sorry, I don't have the raw data. The blogger I linked to has published the code to do this, but I haven't the time to record it now.
makecry wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 08:10
Is there a direct comparison between Ferrari and ALO which shows McLaren to be quicker than Ferrari in corners? I mean, yeah I can see the graph and check but it would still be good to see it overlaid on each other.
Easy enough to do pasting the images on top of each other, since the scale is the same. :mrgreen:

I went through it more carefully now, and this is what I come up with:

T1, 2 & 3 Alo = Rai
T4 & 5 Rai > Alo
T 6 & 7 Alo > Rai
T8 Rai > Alo
T 9, 10 Alo > Rai
T11 Rai > Alo
T12 Alo > Rai
T13 Rai > Alo
T14 Alo > Rai (& also Ham)
T15 & 16 Rai > Alo

T16 is a mistake, so not sure who was quicker. Perhaps my initial impression was not correct, both Alo and Rai have the same number of corners they're quicker than each other, so McLaren chassis maybe an equal or slightly ahead to Ferrari.

In T14, the car seems second only to the RB. =D>

johnny vee

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/feat ... -know.html

So Mclaren is currently on 99 races without win, last win Brasil 2012. (Renault team also on 99 winless races)

After Bahrain we will have a better view of where Mclaren really stands compared to RBR.
I hope Macca can take on RBR, or atleast be there or thereabouts...
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

Alonso Fan

Nuvolari wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 11:34
Alonso Fan wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 22:48
Nuvolari wrote:

It's from the F1 app, you can replay the qualifying session and record the laps you want to extract the speeds. AFAIK these weren't from video onboards... [...}
[...]
I think in that particular case he'd used video, in another post he details his methods where he says he's using both video and F1 app.
amho wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 19:26
Sorry, I don't have the raw data. The blogger I linked to has published the code to do this, but I haven't the time to record it now.
makecry wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 08:10
Easy enough to do pasting the images on top of each other, since the scale is the same. :mrgreen:

I went through it more carefully now, and this is what I come up with:

T1, 2 & 3 Alo = Rai
T4 & 5 Rai > Alo
T 6 & 7 Alo > Rai
T8 Rai > Alo
T 9, 10 Alo > Rai
T11 Rai > Alo
T12 Alo > Rai
T13 Rai > Alo
T14 Alo > Rai (& also Ham)
T15 & 16 Rai > Alo

T16 is a mistake, so not sure who was quicker. Perhaps my initial impression was not correct, both Alo and Rai have the same number of corners they're quicker than each other, so McLaren chassis maybe an equal or slightly ahead to Ferrari.

In T14, the car seems second only to the RB. =D>
Fair enough that they are faster than each other in the same amount of corners. But by how much is raikkonen faster than Alonso and by how much is Alonso faster than raikkonen in each case? This us the bit of crucial missing info. I don't believe for one second that Mclaren's chassis is as good as ferrari simply because even if the cornering speeds work out to be the same, it is a well known fact that ferrari were running less downforce in Australia to be faster on the straight. So still a lot of work to do
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord