2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DarkSurferZA
DarkSurferZA

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Ground Effect wrote:
marvin78 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 11:33
Enough for what? What do you all expect? They won't race for the win and not for podium. They race for points. That's it.
That's what I mean, good enough to get into the points, they qualified out side the points, 2 places below Melbourne. I was wondering if they've got good enough pace to get into the points.

By the way, most people's expectations were raised by none other than Mclaren themselves. They are the ones who talked of podiums, racing Red Bull and leaving the midfield. Fernando said Melbourne would be their lowest point of the season. They talked about reaching Q3 in every race this season, they're 0 for 2. So if fans seem to have too lofty expectations, blame Mclaren, not anybody's fantasy.
Well said

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

Juzh

Alonso Q2 Onboard Lap (1:30.475)

Xero

Ground Effect wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 12:39
By the way, most people's expectations were raised by none other than Mclaren themselves. They are the ones who talked of podiums, racing Red Bull and leaving the midfield. Fernando said Melbourne would be their lowest point of the season. They talked about reaching Q3 in every race this season, they're 0 for 2. So if fans seem to have too lofty expectations, blame Mclaren, not anybody's fantasy.
I don't remember them saying they expected that right away, it's always been a season long goal. From my point of view they've been very honest and open about that. I'm sure they'll be the first to admit they're currently performing below expectations, but let's judge them from Barcelona onward. The first few races were always going to be an extension of testing.

Race pace looked decent enough, so there's a possibility of points today. The lack of qually pace appears to point to the murmurs they are not getting the full benefit of this Renault PU yet. Not looking for excuses, but seeing as the first 3 races are "throw-away", could they be saving the PU for when the chassis is fully upgraded and working? Wishful thinking perhaps, but it does appear that they've struggled to find a good car setup for this circuit.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Juzh wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 13:12
Alonso Q2 Onboard Lap (1:30.475)

https://streamable.com/ykjas
Car looks understeery, there seems to be a lack of front bite with the front just sliding across the track. Rear of the car looks stable however and traction doesn't look too bad. Straightline speed looks to be quite poor at the end of the straights as well compared to the other cars.

marvin78
marvin78

No. Thinking is allowed. If anyone believes the f1 bullshit he is to blame.

PinkFloydPulse

So, can we say it just this track that does not suit them (ZB and ALO did hint at it) or is MCL really behind renault, haas and toro rosso on pure pace?!
Or should we wait until china?
Team Fernando!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

If you had to describe today for Mclaren as an Eminem album, it would be "RECOVERY"
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM
PhillipM

And again, they show they've got the race pace.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McL-H wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 18:26
McLaren screwed up on strategy. Should have kept Fernando out on Mediums on a 1 stop strategy, to take P4.......
They could have, but he wouldn't have gotten 4th or 5th, best would have been 6th... Maybe he could have beaten Hulkenberg..
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Ride a bit of luck with the Kimi and both RB DNF's but......race pace is much better than qualifying but quite a margin.

Nip and tuck with the Renault and Haas for sure. Torro Rosso-Honda.....respect to them. Good solid points for both McL cars. Are we third in Championship :D :lol:

Are there any of the post testing updates left for China do we know or is it all just waiting for Spain?
Last edited by fellowhoodlums on 08 Apr 2018, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

Singabule
Singabule

Great composure and drive from Alo-Van. Their car in Much better shape than qualy

Alonso Fan

Yeah I agree. Pace is equal to Renault but Alonso looked faster but was stuck behind.

He slowed down to get lapped and do a lap less. Probably low on fuel
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Singabule
Singabule

Alonso Fan wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 18:56
Yeah I agree. Pace is equal to Renault but Alonso looked faster but was stuck behind.

He slowed down to get lapped and do a lap less. Probably low on fuel
I think so. Alo is master of maintaining fuel in honda era. However they should start to move toward better efficient aero if want to improve. Their cars just too fuel hungry.

Alonso Fan

I'm still skeptical about the drag claims. Also I think the lack of Quali pace was track specific
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 08 Apr 2018, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

max_speed
max_speed

I agree that car is not great but alonso has been saying "car that they have been racing is different from car they have been developing". i do not know but i have started to get the feeling that McLaren have been lying for long. i thought P4 was there to grab but pit stop confirms that chasis or some suspension related issues , eating tires a bit more.