2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LionKing
LionKing

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

RZS10 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:08
Speaking of Bottas, that was pathetic - Lewis closed more than 10s relative to Bottas after the stops iirc (he was 23.5s behind Vettel) - i don't know whether he just did not have the pace to keep up with Vettel or if it was another fluke by the Merc strategists who told him to drive to a delta completely ignoring the possibility of Vettel not stopping anymore but he should have done better given the pace Lewis extracted from that car
Bottas tires were 6 laps older than Lewis.

Also in the race, I think Merc still has the advantage in terms of engine. Bottas and Lewis were consistently taking 2-4 tenths from Vettel in the first sector.

Xwang
Xwang

Do you think that Ferrari had to save more fuel than Mercedes in race trim?

ripper
ripper

GPR-A wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:30
ripper wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:27
Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:21

Watching a different video and seeing the lower leg bend between knee and ankle. Poor chap, hopefully they got some strong pain relief in to him quickly.
Yes I saw the video, but I didn't link it here because it might hurt someone. Very painful... poor guy. Maybe it is time to change something on pit stops?
Unless, a standard time for tyre change is set, something like 5 second minimum time to change tyres, the situation is going become nightmare. if the pit lane speed was revised to ensure safety, surely the stationery time can be set too. It would also cut down the cost of unnecessary innovation on those wheel guns, which is not something the industry outside would be interested.
This could be a solution, also some errors like Haas double retirement could be avoided in this way.

LionKing
LionKing

Xwang wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:33
Do you think that Ferrari had to save more fuel than Mercedes in race trim?
Probably a combination of fuel consumption and engine life considerations.

Sniffit

ripper wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
ripper wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:14
Anyway RAI had green light when he started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBu9Z3-wpB4
Watching a different video and seeing the lower leg bend between knee and ankle. Poor chap, hopefully they got some strong pain relief in to him quickly.
Yes I saw the video, but I didn't link it here because it might hurt someone. Very painful... poor guy. Maybe it is time to change something on pit stops?
It's a sport, things will happen. If we want to sanitize it anymore we might as well not race.

It is almost unheard of that pit crews get injured in modern F1 but accidents happen. Let's not over react and give LM or FIA anymore retarded ideas.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The TR mechanics will be as happy as anyone - the last time that team had such a good race was in Monza with Seb 2007. Other than that, fourth in 1993 as Minardi. Some of those guys will never have been so high up the result list. Well done to the team. =D> =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TAG

Great race. Bottas should have won that one. He’s simply not good enough, the race was his to lose. Fantastic defending from Vettel, love seeing those kinds of performances. This win was NOT a gift and he earned this win, you can tell he relished it.

The Hamilton comment on Verstappen in the greenroom, still rolling over on that one. Verstappen will eventually learn that you can't win races on the first lap.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

PlatinumZealot

Congrats to vettel. Great racecraft there.
Bottas was useless. Lewis would had had Vettel in a few laps. It was on a platter and Bottas wasted it.

Great drives by Gasly and Alonso. Makes you wonder what's making up the perfromance, the Toro Roso chassis or Honda engine?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

dans79

Sniffit wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:37
ripper wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

It's a sport, things will happen. If we want to sanitize it anymore we might as well not race.

It is almost unheard of that pit crews get injured in modern F1 but accidents happen. Let's not over react and give LM or FIA anymore retarded ideas.

Not penalizing the team more for running over one of their employees is what's retarded!
201 105 104 9 9 7

Chene_Mostert

ripper wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:34
GPR-A wrote:
ripper wrote:

Unless, a standard time for tyre change is set, something like 5 second minimum time to change tyres, the situation is going become nightmare. if the pit lane speed was revised to ensure safety, surely the stationery time can be set too. It would also cut down the cost of unnecessary innovation on those wheel guns, which is not something the industry outside would be interested.
This could be a solution, also some errors like Haas double retirement could be avoided in this way.
lets not go too far down the standerdization slope, variables needs to be part of the sport one accident in how many pitstops over the last 20 races? lets not over react :)
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

TAG

Sniffit wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:37
ripper wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Next year the pit crews will have to wear body halos.

Last edited by TAG on 08 Apr 2018, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

oT v1
oT v1

GPR-A wrote:
Fully agree, I’ve thought this since the Webber incident/maclaren incidents.

Even 4 secs would feel like a relaxed pace.
The Power of Dreams

ripper
ripper

Anyway it's a shame that both RB went out so early, we couldn't even see their real pace again

GPR-A duplicate2

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:40
Bottas was useless. Lewis would had had Vettel in a few laps. It was on a platter and Bottas wasted it.
Partly, it was the strategists to blame, who kept both drivers on the same strategy, expecting Vettel to pit. Instead, one of the drivers should have been asked to push harder from the word go. Partly, it was the stupidity of Bottas not using his own racing brain to push. At one point, the difference was just 4.4 seconds and he let it grew by 7 seconds, waiting for a go ahead from the pit wall. Performances like this continue from Bottas, then Ricciardo would be signing the contract with Mercedes for sure.

Juzh

GPR-A wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:44
At one point, the difference was just 4.4 seconds and he let it grew by 7 seconds,
This was a combination of vettel losing time in traffic beforehand and then bottas losing time to the same traffic a few laps later. Probably coupled with the fact soft tires were pehaps faster at that stage.