2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

BrunoH wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:22
yap agree... they are around 10 place give and take
They are 3rd in the championship, give or take. By youre definition Vettel is a number 2 and he got 2 undeserved wins so far, to me he is first due to the fact he seized what it was given to him.

I really dont get why do u have to post same claims over and over again? Everyone who is able to think and see can tell they are in low top 10. And jet some of u people are in need to become all philosophical and wisdomus about it.

I will go and check if u have ranted on the Ferrari page that Vettel got 2 undeserved wins in a row....
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

diffuser

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:19
diffuser wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:15
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:11

let's be a bit realistic here...
Hey every think I said was factual.
Umm if Riciardo did not have an electrical failure and Verstapen was not a YOLO kinda a guy Mcl would not have been anywhere near them, so you may have stated facts, but that does not mean it's the natural course of things that usually happen in a race given Mcl pace...
whatever, I'm not gonna fight this. We can't sh*t all over McLaren all the time. Team McLaren did a better job on race day.

The car isn't as fast as RBR but It's easier to catch RBR when you're ahead.

Macklaren
Macklaren

It's kind of unbelievable that ALO is P4 and Mclaren is P3 in the championship! If you had given me this after the disastrous first week of testing, I'd have taken it with both hands!

Xero

Macklaren wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:39
It's kind of unbelievable that ALO is P4 and Mclaren is P3 in the championship! If you had given me this after the disastrous first week of testing, I'd have taken it with both hands!
Exactly. Good points on the board, and this from their selfconfessed low point of the season. We can expect McLaren to outdevelop the other midfield teams like in the last couple of seasons, whether non-fans/trolls would care to acknowledge. Whether it's enough to clearly leapfrog the midfield remains to be seen, but we should be optimistic.

PinkFloydPulse

diffuser wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:38
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:19
diffuser wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:15

Hey every think I said was factual.
Umm if Riciardo did not have an electrical failure and Verstapen was not a YOLO kinda a guy Mcl would not have been anywhere near them, so you may have stated facts, but that does not mean it's the natural course of things that usually happen in a race given Mcl pace...
whatever, I'm not gonna fight this. We can't sh*t all over McLaren all the time. Team McLaren did a better job on race day.

The car isn't as fast as RBR but It's easier to catch RBR when you're ahead.
Dude chill, there's no fighting involved just being realistic. Currently neither ALO's place on the table or MCL's place on the table are realistic, but hey I'm happy that they have a good points haul in the first 2 races, it will come in handy later in the season.
Team Fernando!

Jackles-UK

Being honest, McLaren are probably still only the 5th or 6th fastest car but being in a position to score two good double points finishes in a row is immeasurably better than the last few years.

Saying that they've "fluked it" is a bit unfair, there are always going to be teams with issues during races (mechanical or operational) and being reliable, solid and consistently pretty quick with good strategy, ready to pick up the pieces when the big boys drop the ball shouldn't be down-talked - this is how Force India have taken 4th in the constructors the last few years!

trinidefender
trinidefender

mclaren111 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 09:59
Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by atanatizante » 08 Apr 2018, 01:01

This is what Alonso said regarding McLaren`s poor qualy performance on this track and I think it`s the same case for Mercedes: "This circuit requires a little bit different setup concept for qualifying and the race distance, because here the rear degradation is huge … With this type of circuit being stop and go, with heavy traction, corners and things like that, you need a very strong rear end. If you have a very strong rear end then you struggle in qualifying to rotate the car in the hairpins with the front end missing, so maybe we setup the car a little bit too much towards the race”.

Let's see how the race goes. It's early days and it's only 1 qualifying session. Grosjean as well.

Spain should be where we can start judging a bit more critically.
Anyone remembers this? Their race pace and slight under steer was predictable based on this small snippet of information. This was the most valuable post in probably the last 10 pages of this topic.

godlameroso

I could already see from the long runs that they had pace, I think it was a good recovery drive from Alonso, he was faster than the Renault but not fast enough to get by, at least Vandoorne also scored some points. Alonso really is amazing, he's 4th in the driver's standings, given where the car is at the moment it's another testament to his incredible abilities. Sure he's had some luck with others not finishing, or making blunders, but he's been there to capitalize on every little mistake. If this is where McLaren are with the package they have imagine where they'll end up once Renault introduces their party mode, and the McLaren chassis takes it's first major step forward. Right now their high drag nearly year old car with new Frankenstein power unit integration is fast enough to hold off anyone not in a red or silver car. Once they find their stride McLaren will be a threat to the top runners, I'm a Honda fan and I'm glad they beat McLaren here, but I've also watched F1 long enough to know what McLaren is capable of when they get things right.
Saishū kōnā

Benii6
Benii6

Clearly the pace isn't where we want it to be, but I think McLaren's solid reliability is understated. Even their strategy and pitstops are on point. All the other teams had some sort of issues:
- Merc's hydraulic leak
- RedBull's electrical problems
- Williams' overheting issues
- Renault had deployment problems today
- Toro Rosso has had to change PU parts
- Ferrari and Haas with botched pitstops

Funny how McLaren was laughed at during testing for exactly those problems...Shout out to Vandoorne, dead last after first corner to P8. Dotd for me.

makecry
makecry

Benii6 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 20:54
Clearly the pace isn't where we want it to be, but I think McLaren's solid reliability is understated. Even their strategy and pitstops are on point. All the other teams had some sort of issues:
- Merc's hydraulic leak
- RedBull's electrical problems
- Williams' overheting issues
- Renault had deployment problems today
- Toro Rosso has had to change PU parts
- Ferrari and Haas with botched pitstops

Funny how McLaren was laughed at during testing for exactly those problems...Shout out to Vandoorne, dead last after first corner to P8. Dotd for me.
McLaren has good race pace. Obviously not in the league of front runners but it's not bad, the problem is quali and when they start so far behind, even their decent race pace cant help them.

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

Mclaren have several positives to hang on to, they have a good race pace, much closer to the top compared to Honda era, they have a potential achieving good in-season progress, they have Alonso and they are an experienced F1 team no matter what. No need to bash them without seeing these.

And comparison with TR doesn't mean very much. Mclaren was not hiding behind the engine for their weak performance. It was very clear that Honda was dreadfully underpowered at certain circuits and they were miles away from the top. If Honda managed to make an engine much better than last year, that's their luck. A change was necessary so they played that risk.
I see a much brighter future for them.

BrunoH
BrunoH

proteus wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:35
BrunoH wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:22
yap agree... they are around 10 place give and take
They are 3rd in the championship, give or take. By youre definition Vettel is a number 2 and he got 2 undeserved wins so far, to me he is first due to the fact he seized what it was given to him.

I really dont get why do u have to post same claims over and over again? Everyone who is able to think and see can tell they are in low top 10. And jet some of u people are in need to become all philosophical and wisdomus about it.

I will go and check if u have ranted on the Ferrari page that Vettel got 2 undeserved wins in a row....
its called freedom of expression.... plus i dont know were im doing the same post over and over, i posted 2 times today.. lol... obviously because of the race.. and yes i guess they are p10 , what can i say, its true.. its were they really are. Im glad they are taking extra points , and hope they do better after barcelona.
PS- i dont do rants....

bauc

Great Recovery drive for both Alonso and Vandoorne, and for the first time in a long long time both cars in points 2 races in a row! And Mclaren sitting 3rd in the constructors standing, whaat? :)

With the car they have now, this is a super achievement. If the car gets the promised upgrades I think we have a legit shot for P4 this year, but first a lot of issues needs to be sorted out. I predict another difficult weekend in China as well.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

At the end of the day where they are in your mind counts for ZERO.

Where they are in the constructors means everything!

I might not be able to enjoy it again this year but the hell am I gonna let you take it away from me now. ESPECIALY after the last 3 years!

rogazilla
rogazilla

Imagine if Alonso was driving Gasly a car. Could he have kept Hamilton back and get 3rd?! Just wondering...