2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Sniffit wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:46
dans79 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:40
Sniffit wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:37

It's a sport, things will happen. If we want to sanitize it anymore we might as well not race.

It is almost unheard of that pit crews get injured in modern F1 but accidents happen. Let's not over react and give LM or FIA anymore retarded ideas.

Not penalizing the team more for running over one of their employees is what's retarded!
Penalize them? What for? Would you penalize the Cowboys if one of their players got hurt? Should the FA or UEFA have penalised ManU when Zlatan got injured? Don't be silly.
Erm....Ferrari's systems gave Kimi the green light when the rear left hadn't even been removed and an employee has major leg injuries. It wasn't a sporting injury it was caused by an error by Ferrari.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Chene_Mostert wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 20:00
Restomaniac wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:57
Chene_Mostert wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:22
\:D/ :-" =D> Ferrari needs to calm down during pit stops.
All in all a good weekend.
Well done to Honda & STR!
We have a engineer with major injuries. How is that 'All in all a good weekend'?
lets not get over dramatic.
I'm doing nothing of the kind.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Vettel did the job, cudos.

Hamilton did the job with the help of RedBulls haha still cudos. I have never seen one car passing other three in a single corner!!

Bottas is really underwhelming, did not do the job. Although he was better yesterday.

Gasly and HONDA is the story of the week. BRAVO.

Overall, after these two races although Vettel has that nice 50 point, I think Hamilton will win this year.

Looking forward to China! Expect Mercedes 1-2 there. And really curious what will Honda do there.

Juzh

Bottas vs Vettel last 2 laps onboard

TwanV
TwanV

TAG wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:39
Great race. Bottas should have won that one. He’s simply not good enough, the race was his to lose. Fantastic defending from Vettel, love seeing those kinds of performances. This win was NOT a gift and he earned this win, you can tell he relished it.

The Hamilton comment on Verstappen in the greenroom, still rolling over on that one. Verstappen will eventually learn that you can't win races on the first lap.
Really? It was verstappen's pass but I don't think Hamilton was very solid there. both could've given more space but in essence it was Hamilton hitting verstappen not the other way around. It wasnt a divebomb or anyhing, pure racing incident at the very least nothing to warrant a comment like that. But it's Hamilton so flame on.

TwanV
TwanV

Amazing job by Gasly and (I hate to admit:D) Vettel. Flawless drive and one of the best I've seen from him, 40 laps on those tires with pressure from both Mercedes, thumbs up! Great race all round, enjoyed that.

Big Tea

I would like to see a compulsory 'lollipop man' involved.
Bad for the guy, I hope his insurance covers him if nothing else, but this sort of damage happens every week end on Ski slopes and at horse meets. Not excusing it or belittling it, just saying. If it can be stopped it should, but is not full on war.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

TwanV
TwanV

Totally irrelevant, I could post the same fragments of Hamilton shannanigans throughout his career. Sorry to tell you tag, this was a non-DRS pass that's the only difference. max had his wheels in front of Hamilton before the apex. The rule book is quite clear on those situations.

ClarkBT11

It's logical that Vettel conserved his PU/tyre performance to defend against Bottas in the final couple of laps. I think it's over critical on Bottas. Vettel's strategy is always to keep his powder dry until the death, making it very difficult to overtake him in the final laps.
The only grounds to penalise Ferrari is for a unsafe release in the pits, but that would be from a biased opinion. From a neutral point of view Ferrari have lost a car and destroyed their mechanics leg into a set square.

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

delete

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

GPR-A wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:47
Chene_Mostert wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:41
ripper wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:34

This could be a solution, also some errors like Haas double retirement could be avoided in this way.
lets not go too far down the standerdization slope, variables needs to be part of the sport one accident in how many pitstops over the last 20 races? lets not over react :)
Unlike the drivers and footballers in football, the mechanics and the pit crews doesn't either command the remuneration or the opportunity. An accident like today's would most likely end that guy's career. Racing should happen on the track, between the drivers who get paid in millions and get opportunities to come back, not endangering the mechanics and pit crew.
What's needed is a system that tracks the sequence of a wheel being loosened and re-tightened. When all 4 wheels have been through this sequence, the system alerts the driver and jacks men to get going. Pressure sensors between the spindle flanges and the wheel faces can do this.
Now it takes some of the drama out the sport but pit stop injuries and potential for flying wheels aren't where the show should be.
The governing body needs to
1. limit the damn number of front wing elements
2. Increase diffuser size and volume
3. Reduce rear wing width...i.e. inward-canted rear wing pillars from the diffuser
4. Bigger tire surface..tires are wide enough...maybe it's time for diameter increases
5. Remove DRS
Last edited by rifrafs2kees on 08 Apr 2018, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

Edax
Edax

TwanV wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 20:11
TAG wrote:
Great race. Bottas should have won that one. He’s simply not good enough, the race was his to lose. Fantastic defending from Vettel, love seeing those kinds of performances. This win was NOT a gift and he earned this win, you can tell he relished it.

The Hamilton comment on Verstappen in the greenroom, still rolling over on that one. Verstappen will eventually learn that you can't win races on the first lap.
Really? It was verstappen's pass but I don't think Hamilton was very solid there. both could've given more space but in essence it was Hamilton hitting verstappen not the other way around. It wasnt a divebomb or anyhing, pure racing incident at the very least nothing to warrant a comment like that. But it's Hamilton so flame on.
Agree the pass was solid. And to quote the wisdom of a certain lewis Hamilton: It makes no sense keeping your front wing in when you have already lost the corner ( speaking about Rosberg cutting his rear tire in Spa).

Anyway fair play to him he drove an outstanding race. I do have the feeling that there could be more to it if Merc just let their drivers loose. I think they are overstrategising at this point. Perhaps it is right and they are the only ones really going for the three engines.

But what a drive from Gasly, I have no idea where that came from. But I think this is a tremendous boost for TR-Honda. I had the feeling that the TR-Honda relation might work. But I did not think TR had the drivers to show its potential. Well I stand corrected.

ClarkBT11

TwanV wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 20:50
Totally irrelevant, I could post the same fragments of Hamilton shannanigans throughout his career. Sorry to tell you tag, this was a non-DRS pass that's the only difference. max had his wheels in front of Hamilton before the apex. The rule book is quite clear on those situations.
Verstappen completed the pass. The majority of opinions presented are that Verstappen was too aggressive or spatially unaware on how much space to leave another driver. The problem is it was a racing incident that was unnecessary.

etusch

Juzh wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 20:06
Bottas vs Vettel last 2 laps onboard

https://streamable.com/4zllt
I like very much that Haas's name sticker inside of Halo. All team must do that.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Edax wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 20:58
TwanV wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 20:11
TAG wrote:

Agree the pass was solid. And to quote the wisdom of a certain lewis Hamilton: It makes no sense keeping your front wing in when you have already lost the corner ( speaking about Rosberg cutting his rear tire in Spa).

Anyway fair play to him he drove an outstanding race. I do have the feeling that there could be more to it if Merc just let their drivers loose. I think they are overstrategising at this point. Perhaps it is right and they are the only ones really going for the three engines.

But what a drive from Gasly, I have no idea where that came from. But I think this is a tremendous boost for TR-Honda. I had the feeling that the TR-Honda relation might work. But I did not think TR had the drivers to show its potential. Well I stand corrected.
Looks like the "trying to only use 3 engines" is the fake news of this discussion...by next week it will probably be a" fact"...
When did Ferrai say they were willing to take engine penalties?