2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mandrake
Mandrake

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

bonjon1979 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 21:56
ClarkBT11 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 21:10
TwanV wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 20:50
Totally irrelevant, I could post the same fragments of Hamilton shannanigans throughout his career. Sorry to tell you tag, this was a non-DRS pass that's the only difference. max had his wheels in front of Hamilton before the apex. The rule book is quite clear on those situations.
Verstappen completed the pass. The majority of opinions presented are that Verstappen was too aggressive or spatially unaware on how much space to leave another driver. The problem is it was a racing incident that was unnecessary.
Exactly. It was done, Verstappen had the corner, he then straightened the wheel and went even wider to the very confines of the track. Hamilton had nowhere to go, is he supposed to go onto the grass and risk spinning and taking them both out? Verstappen was far too aggressive, it’s bizarre that he says Hamilton had room when he literally drove straight to the edge of the track. A car may be ahead but that doesn’t mean the other car can disappear.
A couple of years ago Hamilton drove Rosberg off the track that way. Back then it was Rosberg's fault according to people here. So it seems it's always the not Hamilton driver at fault in such a situation :) Good the the bashing train against Verstappen has already left the station and is making good speed. Time to hop on!

Edax
Edax

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 21:57
Edax wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 21:46
Not having to watch 14 people increases the overview, and reduces the chance of mistakes like this. And it is a natural way to bring the pit stop times up.
I think the Ferrari system is automated based on the gun use. I don't think they have a man pressing the go button anymore.
I believe the final green is given when the jacks are dropped. Ferrari already had a system checking the pit lane in 2008, so I guess that is automated. The jackmen are in the best position to see wether the work on the car is completed. But I guess that is difficult with 20 people hanging over the car.

F1NAC

LionKing wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:31
RZS10 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:08
Speaking of Bottas, that was pathetic - Lewis closed more than 10s relative to Bottas after the stops iirc (he was 23.5s behind Vettel) - i don't know whether he just did not have the pace to keep up with Vettel or if it was another fluke by the Merc strategists who told him to drive to a delta completely ignoring the possibility of Vettel not stopping anymore but he should have done better given the pace Lewis extracted from that car
Bottas tires were 6 laps older than Lewis.

Also in the race, I think Merc still has the advantage in terms of engine. Bottas and Lewis were consistently taking 2-4 tenths from Vettel in the first sector.
That was probably and mainly because Vettel pretty much had dead tyres, and first sector has that stop n go part in first corner, also exit from last corner is tricky if your tyres are bad

Wass85
Wass85

Restomaniac wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:22
Wass85 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 21:50
Hamilton had a very bad start and first lap, from being way too cautious in the first corner and getting overtaken by Alonso and Verstappen he was very fortunate to get 3rd place.
TBH he had nowhere to go as he had a Haas right in front of him. He ended up right where he started after having to slam the brakes on.
Fair enough but then he was terrible for the remainder of the lap, opening the door and letting Alonso through down into turn 8 and then getting passed by Verstappen.

Big Tea

Edax wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:35
Just_a_fan wrote:
Edax wrote:
Not having to watch 14 people increases the overview, and reduces the chance of mistakes like this. And it is a natural way to bring the pit stop times up.
I think the Ferrari system is automated based on the gun use. I don't think they have a man pressing the go button anymore.
I believe the final green is given when the jacks are dropped. Ferrari already had a system checking the pit lane in 2008, so I guess that is automated. The jackmen are in the best position to see wether the work on the car is completed. But I guess that is difficult with 20 people hanging over the car.
I would assume that the jack man is only looking for 4 coloured gloves around the car, unless he is told someone is working on it. His attention is otherwise up the pitlane checking the gap.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

matt_b
matt_b

You tell 'em Seb 8)

Jolle
Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:42
Edax wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:35
Just_a_fan wrote:

I would assume that the jack man is only looking for 4 coloured gloves around the car, unless he is told someone is working on it. His attention is otherwise up the pitlane checking the gap.
The wheel guns have a "done" button I believe, then the jack man gets a go and the light goes to green when the spotter sees a clear track. The gloves are backup if the light fails (and at the front wheel, to aim for as a driver). The strange thing that the wheel didn't even came off, so there was some misunderstanding or the gun guy did pushed the 'done" button...

Big Tea

Well done Seb. Deflected at source and showing he has nothing against Lewis at the same time. Could this be common sense?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

DarkSurferZA
DarkSurferZA

matt_b wrote:You tell 'em Seb 8)
Press the applause button, press the applause button.

Also, Seb probably the most guilty for name calling, so maybe buying himself a free pass next time...

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

George-Jung
George-Jung

Mr.G wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:16
Just_a_fan wrote:
Edax wrote:
Even that, he doesn't remove the tyre, so the gun spun only to one side (unscrew) not back as the old tyre was still in place...
Perhaps that was the error for not getting the wheel off in the first place..?
The gun spinning the wrong way? (Screw) and so it gave the ‘all good’ signal?

LionKing
LionKing

F1NAC wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:39
LionKing wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:31
Also in the race, I think Merc still has the advantage in terms of engine. Bottas and Lewis were consistently taking 2-4 tenths from Vettel in the first sector.
That was probably and mainly because Vettel pretty much had dead tyres, and first sector has that stop n go part in first corner, also exit from last corner is tricky if your tyres are bad
I think it was the case in the first stint as well when both Vettel and Bottas had the same tires.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

matt_b wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:51
You tell 'em Seb 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99KYBcaKxuA
Blow me, huge respect for that.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Mandrake wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:32
bonjon1979 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 21:56
ClarkBT11 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 21:10

Verstappen completed the pass. The majority of opinions presented are that Verstappen was too aggressive or spatially unaware on how much space to leave another driver. The problem is it was a racing incident that was unnecessary.
Exactly. It was done, Verstappen had the corner, he then straightened the wheel and went even wider to the very confines of the track. Hamilton had nowhere to go, is he supposed to go onto the grass and risk spinning and taking them both out? Verstappen was far too aggressive, it’s bizarre that he says Hamilton had room when he literally drove straight to the edge of the track. A car may be ahead but that doesn’t mean the other car can disappear.
A couple of years ago Hamilton drove Rosberg off the track that way. Back then it was Rosberg's fault according to people here. So it seems it's always the not Hamilton driver at fault in such a situation :) Good the the bashing train against Verstappen has already left the station and is making good speed. Time to hop on!
I’d love to see the two side by side. I think you’d see that rosberg was hung out to dry much later on in the corner where as here Verstappen straightened the wheel much earlier. I could be wrong but I remember rosberg being the one over taking and staying with it much later on the outside of the corner. Here you have max overtaking on the inside and forcing someone wide. It’s a completely different scenario. Rosberg chose the outside as the overtaker. Here Hamilton didn’t have a choice. Plus, max had the corner it was won Hamilton was falling back, he destroyed his own race with a brainless move. 3 and counting for max so far this year...

Harvester
Harvester

George-Jung wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 23:06
Mr.G wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:16
Just_a_fan wrote:

Even that, he doesn't remove the tyre, so the gun spun only to one side (unscrew) not back as the old tyre was still in place...
Perhaps that was the error for not getting the wheel off in the first place..?
The gun spinning the wrong way? (Screw) and so it gave the ‘all good’ signal?
Yea it is very likely that it's what happened. I spent a lot of time thinking how this could happen that he got green light. You could make hell of a detective. Very good idea.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Wass85 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:39
Restomaniac wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:22
Wass85 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 21:50
Hamilton had a very bad start and first lap, from being way too cautious in the first corner and getting overtaken by Alonso and Verstappen he was very fortunate to get 3rd place.
TBH he had nowhere to go as he had a Haas right in front of him. He ended up right where he started after having to slam the brakes on.
Fair enough but then he was terrible for the remainder of the lap, opening the door and letting Alonso through down into turn 8 and then getting passed by Verstappen.
I agree on that. Looking during the race live a SKY camera shot showed him messing with his brake bias. He had already been in the radio talking to his team about his setup before the lights even went out.

My guess is that during the VSC he was able to sort it out.