2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TAG

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

George-Jung wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 21:31
The way Hamilton overtook the three cars- with Hulkenberg being the last one..

He did it actually the same way as Verstappen, by moving to the outside after the hairpin.

It is only because Hulkenberg gave up the position that there wasn’t a collision.

It was Hamilton’s fault vs. Verstappen, he should have backed off, knowing he lost the position- the same way Hulkenberg did.
Except Hamilton gave enough room and was in control enough to make the corner while leaving enough room. Interstingly this is what Verstappen said about Rosberg when he got chopped in Hockenheim. Memories are short in F1. "He just doesn’t turn in or give space on the exit – and that’s not fair"

But when istn't it Hamilton's fault with you, even when he pulls off the overtake of the season and we're only at the 2nd race. Enjoy.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Restomaniac wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 23:22
Wass85 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:39
Restomaniac wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:22

TBH he had nowhere to go as he had a Haas right in front of him. He ended up right where he started after having to slam the brakes on.
Fair enough but then he was terrible for the remainder of the lap, opening the door and letting Alonso through down into turn 8 and then getting passed by Verstappen.
I agree on that. Looking during the race live a SKY camera shot showed him messing with his brake bias. He had already been in the radio talking to his team about his setup before the lights even went out.

My guess is that during the VSC he was able to sort it out.
He ended up third BECAUSE he was cautious. it’d be very easy to lose a wing in that melee. He was the only one racing for the championship, everyone else was just scrapping for points in this race. It’s a dangerous place to be...

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

matt_b wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:51
You tell 'em Seb 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99KYBcaKxuA
Brilliant. TBH it coming from Seb totally cut the press bod who was probably looking for a nice reaction off at the knees. Whatever Lewis had said would have been spun in a negative way. Seb killed that idea dead.

BTW I don't normally use first names for drivers but in this case it's the actual people behind the drivers we are talking about.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 08 Apr 2018, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

Wass85
Wass85

Restomaniac wrote:
Wass85 wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:22

TBH he had nowhere to go as he had a Haas right in front of him. He ended up right where he started after having to slam the brakes on.
Fair enough but then he was terrible for the remainder of the lap, opening the door and letting Alonso through down into turn 8 and then getting passed by Verstappen.
I agree on that. Looking during the race live a SKY camera shot showed him messing with his brake bias. He had already been in the radio talking to his team about his setup before the lights even went out.

Tbh he has generally been poor at starts and on the opening lap for a good few years now, it's like it takes him a few laps to get the tyres working which is strange for him.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

bonjon1979 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 23:27
Restomaniac wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

He ended up third BECAUSE he was cautious. it’d be very easy to lose a wing in that melee. He was the only one racing for the championship, everyone else was just scrapping for points in this race. It’s a dangerous place to be...
Oh certainly.
In fact I actually said to my son during the race when there was a wide shot of the first corner that it always amazes me how much spacial awareness the drivers all have. Some drivers were 3/4 abreast today.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Also the way Magnussen came back on and across track was lunacy today, so lucky there wasn’t an accident

Harvester
Harvester

I don't know why everybody praises what Seb told at the press conference regarding what Hamilton said about Max.First it was not adrenalin it happened after the race and this analogy that if you could hear what football players say is ridiculous.

Sevach
Sevach

Restomaniac wrote:

Maybe he's not used to a good first lap mayhem.
The VSC was perfect for him, it set him right behind Alonso and when Ocon-Sainz started fighting opportunity was there.

As for the Verstappen move, it's legal within the rules although i don't like it (i would prefer if the driver had to respect the guy outside).
Although legal, i think it's important to notice that Verstappen was full "elbows out" in a midfield battle on lap 2.

dans79

Harvester wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 23:40
I don't know why everybody praises what Seb told at the press conference regarding what Hamilton said about Max.First it was not adrenalin it happened after the race and this analogy that if you could hear what football players say is ridiculous.
It doesn't just switch off after the checkered flag. I can remember when i was a competitive athlete being amped up for hours after the race.
201 105 104 9 9 7

dans79

Sevach wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 23:41
Although legal, i think it's important to notice that Verstappen was full "elbows out" in a midfield battle on lap 2.
almost all of his issues happen in the first few laps. RBR should remote gimp his car till lap 5 or 6, he'd probably score an extra 30 to 40 points a season.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Harvester
Harvester

dans79 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 23:43
Harvester wrote:
It doesn't just switch off after the checkered flag. I can remember when i was a competitive athlete being amped up for hours after the race.
Ok I understand that. Far worse things happened but Seb's behaviour just looked silly to me. Attacking reporter for even asking this question is like we can talk what we want and you shouldn't even question it.

Big Tea

Harvester wrote:
Because the idiot jorno was there to report on a motor race.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Edax
Edax

Big Tea wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:42
Edax wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:35
Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 21:57

I think the Ferrari system is automated based on the gun use. I don't think they have a man pressing the go button anymore.
I believe the final green is given when the jacks are dropped. Ferrari already had a system checking the pit lane in 2008, so I guess that is automated. The jackmen are in the best position to see wether the work on the car is completed. But I guess that is difficult with 20 people hanging over the car.
I would assume that the jack man is only looking for 4 coloured gloves around the car, unless he is told someone is working on it. His attention is otherwise up the pitlane checking the gap.
I was more talking about the rear jackman, in the past the rear jackman would check the work on the rear tires. And in the description of the original ferrari system I found jacks down was a precondition for green.

But looking at the surprised face of the rear jackman when the car drops, before the wheel has even come off, it might well be that this release has now now been coupled to the wheel guns. I guess with 2 sec pit stops there is little room for redundancies.

Anyway Ferrari got 50k fine. I hope the FIA has the courtesy to mail it to the mechanics bank account. I’d say he deserves it.

Mr.G

Harvester wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 23:21
George-Jung wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 23:06
Mr.G wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:16

Even that, he doesn't remove the tyre, so the gun spun only to one side (unscrew) not back as the old tyre was still in place...
Perhaps that was the error for not getting the wheel off in the first place..?
The gun spinning the wrong way? (Screw) and so it gave the ‘all good’ signal?
Yea it is very likely that it's what happened. I spent a lot of time thinking how this could happen that he got green light. You could make hell of a detective. Very good idea.
I'm not sure if it's working this way - if they wanted to have it automatic they would be checking a sequence (like 1. gun on nut, 2. spin one direction, 3. gun of nut, 4. gun on ut, 5. spin other direction, 6. gun of nut then send the signal) and even they did it this way they need to incorporate gun failure and replacing the gun during pit stop (they have second gu ready)...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

F1NAC

are we going back to lollipops then? :D