2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

f1316 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 13:55
One thing I think is going slightly under the radar (perhaps rightly - not *that* spectacular) is Hulkenburg still outperforming Sainz.

Quali: only 4 hundredths up in Oz but 4 tenths up in Bahrain
Race: 7th vs. 10th in Oz; 6th vs 11th in Bahrain

It’s not always huge differences but - other than Austin where Hulk didn’t get to qualify - there’s been a clear trend that Hulk has still consistently held an advantage.

Ok, Hulk’s been in the team longer - although we’re not even talking a complete season - but seems like we’re starting to see real validation of him against someone else with whom there’s a clear benchmark (I.e. Sainz was strong against Max and Kyvatt).

In my opinion Hulk is a very fast driver. Shame he has never been on podium and strange that stronger teams have not wanted to get him. For example, I think that he would perform better than Bottas at Mercedes.

f1316
f1316

I agree. I also think the post 2017 regs/tyres have played to his strengths, whereas Perez was slightly flattered when they were teammates because he was gentle on tyres - a real bonus in that period.

nacho
nacho

I don't know how much the pace difference needed to be to pull a pass on this track.

Maybe Merc did a bit of a mistake with the mediums, taking only a one set for Bottas but running it in the race and not practice.

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 13:55
One thing I think is going slightly under the radar (perhaps rightly - not *that* spectacular) is Hulkenburg still outperforming Sainz.

Quali: only 4 hundredths up in Oz but 4 tenths up in Bahrain
Race: 7th vs. 10th in Oz; 6th vs 11th in Bahrain

It’s not always huge differences but - other than Austin where Hulk didn’t get to qualify - there’s been a clear trend that Hulk has still consistently held an advantage.

Ok, Hulk’s been in the team longer - although we’re not even talking a complete season - but seems like we’re starting to see real validation of him against someone else with whom there’s a clear benchmark (I.e. Sainz was strong against Max and Kyvatt).
Sainz was being constantly faster than Hulk in Australia but he failed to manage a good lap in Q3(his Q2 lap was amazing). In Bahrein he had problems with car balance and fuel consumption(+bad strategy). Hulk is a tough driver so he will need to put all the pieces together if he wants to beat him.

Mandrake
Mandrake

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 11:05
Starscreamer wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 09:56
marvin78 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 09:40
As I often said before: He should have done more time in Formula 3, GP2 etc. Than he would have learned these things early enough. Could be, that he does not learn them in F1 because he get's this hype and not the right support. He is a very fast driver but with this type of racing he will always loose Championchips.

Maybe Max was to aggressive but in my opinion Hamilton doesn't give him room.
Come on, watch it again from this point on.

https://youtu.be/DIm2cqy7-AI?t=1m11s

Mid corner they are completely side by side, so Max knows exactly where Lewis is. At the point of contact Max looks to be about 50cm from the white line. Its max who didnt give room, not the other way round. Max's onboard shows the contact when his car bumps in the air, as it was wheel to wheel contact which means Lewis had a large portion of his car alongside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgT02D3L5p8

Remember ROS vs HAM Spa? Similar placement of 2 cars, here everyone said ROS needs to get out of it. Why not Hamilton this time?

RZS10

Similar, but not identical, also a different ideal line through the corners (apex to apex, in Bahrain you go through the hairpin and then try to go further to the right in order to line up the left hander) and Rosberg had way more space to the left - you really cannot compare those two situations.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Mandrake wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 15:33
NathanOlder wrote:
Starscreamer wrote:

Mid corner they are completely side by side, so Max knows exactly where Lewis is. At the point of contact Max looks to be about 50cm from the white line. Its max who didnt give room, not the other way round. Max's onboard shows the contact when his car bumps in the air, as it was wheel to wheel contact which means Lewis had a large portion of his car alongside.

Remember ROS vs HAM Spa? Similar placement of 2 cars, here everyone said ROS needs to get out of it. Why not Hamilton this time?
Sorry what?

The person doing the overtaking is the man on the outside in that clip.
There is a world of difference between throwing one up the inside and pushing a driver off the track and sticking your car in an ever decreasing gap on the outside and causing contact because of it.

siskue2005

Mandrake wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Starscreamer wrote:

no it is not similar placement of car...Rosberg never came side by side of the car, whereas Lewis and Max were side by side mid corner...when Lewis started to back away, but Max decided to push him off anyways

siskue2005

Restomaniac wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 15:45
Mandrake wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Sorry what?

There is a world of difference between throwing one up the inside and pushing a driver off the track and sticking your car in an ever decreasing gap on the outside and causing contact because of it.
yes correct

George-Jung
George-Jung

Restomaniac wrote:
Mandrake wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Sorry what?

Why? In both situations you push the ‘other guy’ off track.

But perhaps ‘we all’ can agree to disagree.. it is not bringing the topic any further.

TwanV
TwanV

To quote Mark Hughes:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/repo ... rix-report
Into Turn 1 Verstappen made a bold move down the inside, sparks cascading into the night air from the Red Bull floor, Hamilton hanging on around the outside as they turned in. Verstappen, in order not to get boxed in by Alonso, moved across on Hamilton to make it even tighter. Essentially though, Verstappen had completed the move and was ahead of the Merc, but Lewis was stubbornly refusing to surrender it, they touched and the Red Bull’s left-rear was instantly punctured. Hamilton’s car was undamaged and he was later overheard commenting to Bottas in the green room that Max needed to show some respect.
end of story. In the meantime Hamilton is throwing mud around:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... s-1024180/

I understand people don't like Max Verstappen in general but this "maturity" thing is old news. For me the bottom line is Hamilton was just shocked at his own reaction in the corner which could've cost him all his points gathered yesterday and feels he needs to completely blame that on Max. IMO it looks like he's trying to maintain his current advantage in contract negotiations.
Last edited by TwanV on 09 Apr 2018, 16:05, edited 3 times in total.

TAG

George-Jung wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 15:58

But perhaps ‘we all’ can agree to disagree.. it is not bringing the topic any further.
You wouldn't be here if it was anyone else on the grid and we can all agree on that. :mrgreen:
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

George-Jung wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
Mandrake wrote:

Sorry what?

Creating a direct comparison between and inside and an outside overtake? Nope still makes no sense.

ripper
ripper

I was surprised that HAM'S front wing was undamaged, he was quite lucky because he could have lost more points if he had to pit to change it

George-Jung
George-Jung

Restomaniac wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 16:03
George-Jung wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

Sorry what?

Creating a direct comparison between and inside and an outside overtake? Nope still makes no sense.
So basically- if I understand it correctly- once you’re defending you are ‘allowed’ to do things, that you aren’t ‘allowed’ to do while attacking?

Is that a correct conclusion?