2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

I'll say it again for those who don't seem to grasp the concept. Max's #1 problem at this point in his career is that he is just like his dad! by that I mean he drives like a bull (ironic) in a china shop. If he used his brain a little more, he would score 30 or 40 points more a season.
201 105 104 9 9 7

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

George-Jung wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 16:14
TAG wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 16:02
George-Jung wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 15:58
Why? In both situations you push the ‘other guy’ off track.

But perhaps ‘we all’ can agree to disagree.. it is not bringing the topic any further.
You wouldn't be here if it was anyone else on the grid and we can all agree on that. :mrgreen:
I do love Hamilton’s racing craft, and I admit that he is one of the best.. that’s why it makes it even more special when he does get passed.

IMHO it was a beautiful move by Verstappen, that Hamilton couldn’t ‘swallow’..
Oh please, at that moment Ham couldn't have done anything. Vestappen intentionally drove wider than usual just to "complete" the pass in his "way" which backfired spectacularly so KARMA is goooood.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

LM10 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:27
foxmulder_ms wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 20:05

Looking forward to China! Expect Mercedes 1-2 there. And really curious what will Honda do there.
What makes you think that Bottas will manage to end the race at P2 at least?
I think Mercedes car is that good.

ripper
ripper

TAG wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 16:50
ripper wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 16:21
Yesterday VET overtook him, but the german was on fresh tyres vs end of stint tyres
Why do people from the EU make it a habit of noting someone's nationality when describing them in writing? It's not a "thing" I've noted people from other parts of the globe, do. It's almost as if it's the de facto adjective.

I know, not a race topic question, but I'm genuinely curious to know if there's a consensus explanation behind it.
It can be a "wrong translation" from italian (my language) to english. In italian we can use the adjective as a pronoun in order to avoid repeating the same word (in this case Vettel).

So i chose to write "german" instead of "german driver" because i'm lazy and one less word is a lot less effort :P

maxxer
maxxer

TAG wrote:
ripper wrote:
Yesterday VET overtook him, but the german was on fresh tyres vs end of stint tyres
Why do people from the EU make it a habit of noting someone's nationality when describing them in writing? It's not a "thing" I've noted people from other parts of the globe, do. It's almost as if it's the de facto adjective.

I know, not a race topic question, but I'm genuinely curious to know if there's a consensus explanation behind it.
Offtopic , when andy murray wins a tournament in tennis he is called a Brit , when he loses he suddenly is a scot. :D

NathanOlder

maxxer wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:29
TAG wrote:
ripper wrote:

Offtopic , when andy murray wins a tournament in tennis he is called a Brit , when he loses he suddenly is a scot. :D
He's forever a Scot now then.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

ripper wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:06
It can be a "wrong translation" from italian (my language) to english. In italian we can use the adjective as a pronoun in order to avoid repeating the same word (in this case Vettel).

So i chose to write "german" instead of "german driver" because i'm lazy and one less word is a lot less effort :P
Might want to be careful with that in some circles. In a lot of circumstances mentioning someones nationality or assumed nationality is considered a backhanded way of insulting the individual or the nationality.
201 105 104 9 9 7

ripper
ripper

dans79 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:41
Might want to be careful with that in some circles. In a lot of circumstances mentioning someones nationality or assumed nationality is considered a backhanded way of insulting the individual or the nationality.
I didn't know it, thanks a lot! I'll pay attention!

TAG

ripper wrote:
TAG wrote:
ripper wrote:

Nothing against your being lazy or anything like that, I'm trying to know if there's nationalism or something that makes one write the country of origin to begin with. You could have said the blonde, or the leader or the Ferrari driver. So apologies, not singling you out.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Jolle
Jolle

dans79 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:41
ripper wrote:

There are harmless ways to name drivers or teams: The German, The Dutchman, The Italians, The red cars, the silver arrows, The (flying) Finns, etc etc and there are the wrong ones: The Black one, the drunk, etc etc.

There is a line between chauvinistic and nationalistic as well. Supporting your fellow Dutch/German/English/French driver is more then ok, believing he's better because he is from a certain country isn't.

dans79

Jolle wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:53
There are harmless ways to name drivers or teams: The German, The Dutchman, The Italians, The red cars, the silver arrows, The (flying) Finns, etc etc and there are the wrong ones: The Black one, the drunk, etc etc.
If you come to Austin I'd advise you not walk around referring to Perez as "The Mexican". Here referring to "Mexican" is used a lot in a derogatorily manor and a lot of people don't take kindly to it.
201 105 104 9 9 7

TAG

Jolle wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:53

There is a line between chauvinistic and nationalistic as well. Supporting your fellow Dutch/German/English/French driver is more then ok, believing he's better because he is from a certain country isn't.
In this case he's Italian referencing a German driver, so it's none of that. I'm asking specifically about why folks from European countries mention someone's nationality as an adjective. It's not something that's done elsewhere commonly. Does it only apply to F1 since it's so international? Do you hear commentators or writers saying a person's county of birth as an adjective in other sports or professional footbal leagues?

It may be customary and harmless, I'm trying to figure out the reason or the anthropology behind it since I find it peculiar, not a western hemisphere thing in international sports.

Mods feel free to move this to another thread if you deem it appropriate.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

aral
aral

A number of off topic posts have been removed as they had nothing to do with the Bahrain GP. Instead they were into calling drivers by derogatory names and even straying into soccer. Probably more posts should be removed, but please can we get back to discussing the race?

NathanOlder

Sure.
Just to clear 1 thing up, Vettel will always be German, Like Hamilton will always be English. Ferrari Italian, Bottas a Fin ect ect .There's nothing derogatory about that.

Back on topic,

Where do you think Kimi would have ended up if he made it out the pits ? Could it have had a negative effect for Ferrari in that both Merc's could have upped their pace earlier to keep Kimi at bay, and in turn catch Vettel with laps to spare ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

nevill3

Perez and Hartly given time penalties after the race that sens them to the bottom of the results for Perez passing Hartley on the way to the starting grid. Hartly also penalized for not passing Perez on the formation lap!! He also got 2 penalty points!!!
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978