2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Yes, to save a lap, why would you not when the engines and gearboxes are so critical on milage this year?
Wasn't to set the fastest lap at all (how could it be, he had to slow right down to let Vettel past) - the overdrive bit was about him having another go at overtaking Hulkenburg.

Alonso Fan

I seriously thought it was for fuel usage. What's one lap going to do for wear when they saved a whole lot of laps by missing out on q3? He used too much fuel when chasing hulk. It's not the first time he's done it either

Actually I just remembered mclaren confirmed it was for fuel usage
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Andres125sx

Bisonas wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 21:02
I am not biased at all. And if i am at some extend, trust me when i say that i am in favor of Mclaren.
Your previous replies didn´t show that
Bisonas wrote:
If i am disappointing with something, looking at the standings won't make me feel any better. that isn't working for me any more. It may be still working for you. Your perspective may be different.
My perspective is to look at track perfomance, but also at the standing table, since that´s the reason they´re a racing team, beating their rivals in the table and also what finally provide money to them.

IMHO looking only to the track is as biased as it is looking only to the table
Bisonas wrote:
as a fan i will be harsh with Mclaren this year.
We know

Basically my point of view is: first two races with Renault, the worst races this season as they (McLaren) said theirselves, and they´ve scored points with both cars in both GPs and are 3rd in the table, to me that is GREAT, and I´m not going to let Gasly awesome race to shadow McLaren perfomance, your perspective may be different tough :wink:

Vasconia

Results are excellent for McLaren so far, though there is a great room to improve. Let´s see how the car behaves after the first updates but if the development rate is as good as it usually is in McLaren we should see a very competitive second half of the season.

Another important point is to know when is going Renault to release more power from the PU.

zeph
zeph

I think the results and standings flatter reality. But in both races they have made the most of the situation, so props to them for that. I’m still not convinced the team is firing on all cylinders, though, and I don’t know what sort of upgrades could make this car challenge RBR. If you talk about in-season development, those guys are better than everybody else.

Andres125sx

I agree, if Im moderately happy with current situation thats after assuming the team is not firing on all cylinders (liked the analogy :))

About RBR I agree it will be difficult to improve their development rate, but thats what all this is about, beating the best so if we still assume this is a top team, thats a fair target wich puts lots of pressure on the team, but it was their decision to use same pu wich is using the best aero team so we'lk see how they perform once the pu is perfectly integrated

mclaren111

Joe Saward:

Elsewhere there are whispers that Renault's F1's Chief Technical Officer Bob Bell may soon be moving on, with his role being taken by new recruit Marcin Budkowski. Renault continues to strengthen its staff and facilities as it builds up to mount a stronger challenge in F1 in the years ahead and this would not be a surprise.

Would be a great addition for Mclaren.

Good replacement for Boullier ??

dren

zeph wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 10:52
I think the results and standings flatter reality. But in both races they have made the most of the situation, so props to them for that. I’m still not convinced the team is firing on all cylinders, though, and I don’t know what sort of upgrades could make this car challenge RBR. If you talk about in-season development, those guys are better than everybody else.
That used to be the case when Mclaren would seemingly develop their way out of a hole, but I don't know if it still is. Mercedes and Red Bull are extremely good at developing a car over the season. Both made significant strides last year. Mclaren not only has to keep up with them, but close a significant gap, too. The real benchmark is Red Bull since they are both running the same PU. Renault is throwing resources at its team now, so they'll be no slouch.
Honda!

Macklaren
Macklaren

mclaren111 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 12:54
Joe Saward:

Elsewhere there are whispers that Renault's F1's Chief Technical Officer Bob Bell may soon be moving on, with his role being taken by new recruit Marcin Budkowski. Renault continues to strengthen its staff and facilities as it builds up to mount a stronger challenge in F1 in the years ahead and this would not be a surprise.

He’s a CTO. Can’t run team ops.

I don’t get all these calls for EB’s head. Mclaren are one of the few teams that have not had an operational hiccup so far (in fact they did three <3sec stops in Bahrain) and their testing issues have not recurred (like he had promised). Yes, they didn’t get their setup right in Bahrain but many teams (incl. Mercedes) went backward and I don’t even know if that’s EB’s responsibility.
Last edited by Macklaren on 10 Apr 2018, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

dren

People can change roles if deemed capable.
Honda!

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

dren wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 13:01
zeph wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 10:52
That used to be the case when Mclaren would seemingly develop their way out of a hole, but I don't know if it still is. Mercedes and Red Bull are extremely good at developing a car over the season. Both made significant strides last year. Mclaren not only has to keep up with them, but close a significant gap, too. The real benchmark is Red Bull since they are both running the same PU. Renault is throwing resources at its team now, so they'll be no slouch.
IMO nice comparison will be at season end when we can compare MC diff to RB at AUS (or Bahrain/China) and at last or last few races of season.
McLaren is in "better" situation to show more just because they have more areas to develp car, and RB has already polished their package.

Postmoe

TheFluffy wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 02:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDqv4A8fim4&t=29s
Listen around 1:09. It seems that the team had a clear target of trying to beat Toro Rosso, maybe trying to show the board members that changing to Renault is good?

Also 2:04, why was he suggesting to be behind Vettel? Surely not to save one lap for the engine... Get DRS to set the fastest lap? His engineer say "Yes Fernando, I am thinking the same thing" What is their intention? It seems that they are trying to set the fastest lap as the next radio message seems to say something to tell Fernando not to overdrive the car.
This is a clinic of racing situational awareness.

If you see twisted intentions, think about getting to useless chatting and maquinations on the 47th lap of a long gp weekend. They are too old for this.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mclaren111 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 12:54
Joe Saward:

Replacement for Boullier? The don't have the same function. He's got the job function of Adrian Newey, James Allison etc. He'd fit in the position of Tim Goss.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

rogazilla
rogazilla

Renault's power level is what it is in the race. Stating they haven't turned it on is the same as the PU's power is not there yet. The worst logic kept being repeated.

loner

rogazilla wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 14:30
Renault's power level is what it is in the race. Stating they haven't turned it on is the same as the PU's power is not there yet. The worst logic kept being repeated.
i didn't want to participate in this topic again but the degree of denial and delusion are way OVER .. so ALO got lapped
to save the PU yeah because 21 races \ 3 PU = 7 laps , beside is Mclaren gonna be lapped for the entire 21 races :roll:
para bellum.