2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
makecry
makecry

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Bisonas wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 22:04
PhillipM wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 21:51
Bisonas wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 20:26
lol, its almost like as they where on different engine modes on those runs. Its really weird.
To be honest it looks like most of their issue was just front tyre temps.
If they had a tyre temp problem, IMO it was on the rears, cause Bahrain its a rear-limited track.
They did having serious issues with traction and braking. Issues with traction can be attributed to tire heating issues, yes. In Motorsport Italy
or F1AT there was an article in which it they said it was because of something to do with rear tire wall on supersofts. I am not sure but.

Xero

I think it was front and rears. The back end would squiggle under heavy traction zones, and understeer into slow speed corners. This is simply down to a lack of knowledge with limited miles during testing. They'll catch though, and pretty soon.

ollandos
ollandos

Nuvolari wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 19:23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWPFxgP2SVE

I looked at this lap, and Alonso was around 0.35s behind Hulk upto T10 apex in Bahrain. He suddenly dropped half a second in the run to T11, lost another tenth in turns 12, 13 & 14. The remaining time loss happened between T14 apex to finish line. I'm not sure where he improved in his next lap in Q2 (where he found a couple of tenths). Were they overheating the tyres towards the end of the lap? Seemed to take a hammering in the braking zones after T10.
mclaren run with very different gear ratio ..use higher revs and one gear up from renault transmision set up ..and look like its slower ...renault make less gear changes ...and have same speed with lower gear and lower revs ...

Xero

ollandos wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 22:24
mclaren run with very different gear ratio ..use higher revs and one gear up from renault transmision set up ..and look like its slower ...renault make less gear changes ...and have same speed with lower gear and lower revs ...
Could pay dividends when Renault bring their performance updates through the season?

How many times can you change gear ratios again? Was it once a season?

Bisonas

ollandos wrote:
Nuvolari wrote:

I looked at this lap, and Alonso was around 0.35s behind Hulk upto T10 apex in Bahrain. He suddenly dropped half a second in the run to T11, lost another tenth in turns 12, 13 & 14. The remaining time loss happened between T14 apex to finish line. I'm not sure where he improved in his next lap in Q2 (where he found a couple of tenths). Were they overheating the tyres towards the end of the lap? Seemed to take a hammering in the braking zones after T10.
Gearbox ratios are fixed for the whole season. They cant change it when ever they want. Now engine mode, yes its possible.
But for me it is just Mclaren having more wheelspin accelerating out of slow corners. Thus it revs faster and change gear sooner but at lower speed. And if that is true, which we don't know for sure, that is happening because the rears are not on optimal temp.

Edit: Watching it again i saw that on start finish line, Mclaren also revs higher in did. On other straights though they reach the same revs before upshifts. I guess regardless if there is wheelspin or not, the engine mode and map can not be exactly the same.

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

ALO's best lap was on lap 47, on 8 lap old tyres (mediums at that time?). He made 11 consecutive laps on 34, even low 34 and he was one of the fastest in that moment of the race. As you all said, whatever is happening is Quali related and gets substantially better on race trim and worn tyres, which leads me thinking they may actually have a shot at 4th team and not so far from 3rd come Europe. Well, maybe by mid European season. Or the end of it. Or Mexico...;-)

And both Alonso and Stoff were pretty close to VET for best time in sector 2
Last edited by dr_cooke on 12 Apr 2018, 00:45, edited 2 times in total.

makecry
makecry

dr_cooke wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 00:37
ALO's best lap was on lap 47, on 8 lap old tyres (mediums at that time?). He made 11 consecutive laps on 34, even low 34 and he was one of the fastest in that moment of the race. As you all said, whatever is happening is Quali related and gets substantially better on race trim and worn tyres, which leads me thinking they may actually have a shot to 4th team and not so far from 3rd come Europe. Well, maybe by mid European season. Or the end of it. Or Mexico...;-)
It was super softs! 8 lap old supersofts.

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

makecry wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 00:39
dr_cooke wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 00:37
ALO's best lap was on lap 47, on 8 lap old tyres (mediums at that time?). He made 11 consecutive laps on 34, even low 34 and he was one of the fastest in that moment of the race. As you all said, whatever is happening is Quali related and gets substantially better on race trim and worn tyres, which leads me thinking they may actually have a shot to 4th team and not so far from 3rd come Europe. Well, maybe by mid European season. Or the end of it. Or Mexico...;-)
It was super softs! 8 lap old supersofts.
Correct, I was just now checking. Thanks, mate

diffuser

ollandos wrote:
Nuvolari wrote:

It has nothing to do with gear ratio and on the quali lap alonzo's speed was 1 KPH faster down the main straight than Hulk.

diffuser

makecry wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 21:40
mwillems wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 21:34
Bisonas wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 20:26

lol, its almost like as they where on different engine modes on those runs. Its really weird.
Just observe the speed of its car on each up shift on the straights. Mclaren is going through the gears faster, but the upshifts are happening on a much lower speed than the Renault.
That is quite interesting. There has been the suggestion of the car being draggy and hence a lower top speed than the other renault cars.... But I wonder what gearing seutp Mclaren went for and could this be the reason for the lower top speed?
McLaren does seem to have shorter gears. You should compare Vettel's onboard lap with Fernando's and you will see it .
I agree with Bisonas....
Just after T10 there is a white line. Alo is at 134KPH when he hits that white line, Hulk is at 140 and more importantly Hulk is already at full throttle, Alo is not. So the Speed GAP is still increasing(at the white line). Checked the speed in the corner and it's about the same. So the problem was definitely traction coming out of that corner.

mclaren111

MCL33:
techman wrote:

i have to say mclaren is a good looking car with that orange.

Agree

This is the best Mclaren has looked since Marlboro days !! =D> :D :D =D>

RonDennis
RonDennis

mclaren111 wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 14:56
MCL33:
techman wrote:

i have to say mclaren is a good looking car with that orange.

Agree

This is the best Mclaren has looked since Marlboro days !! =D> :D :D =D>
Looks great, although I still love that chrome McLaren.

diffuser

WOW I must be blocking techman entries cause I only see the replies to his entry.

Alonso Fan

diffuser wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 15:12
WOW I must be blocking techman entries cause I only see the replies to his entry.
You're fine. He posted in the chassis thread and mclaren111 just quoted him here. Nothing to worry about :)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Renault releasing more power. I wonder if this will have an impact on qualifying or the race, or both.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... e-1025524/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.