2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
johnny vee

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 09:58
Renault releasing more power. I wonder if this will have an impact on qualifying or the race, or both.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... e-1025524/
Nice!
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

dren

Fine for releasing Vandoorne with a loose wheel nut: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13537 ... stop-error
Honda!

f1rules
f1rules

amus

max_speed
max_speed

Not looking great for mclaren so far. I was expecting them to be bit better here. Lets hope they spring surprise in quali.anyone has info about mclaren race pace.

GhostF1
GhostF1

Not now that they'll inevitably turn the engine back down after Ricciardo's issue.

McLaren's reason for signing Renault "they've proved to be a podium producing engine"....

Yeah.. maybe with a top 3 team. I hope this isn't a disaster.

PhillipM
PhillipM

max_speed wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 06:12
Not looking great for mclaren so far. I was expecting them to be bit better here. Lets hope they spring surprise in quali.anyone has info about mclaren race pace.
They're struggling to get tyres up to temperature again so hopefully their race pace might be better.

max_speed
max_speed

it is clear. they have a draggy chassis , even with tow gets beaten down by Renault and force India.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Lucky 13?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

max_speed wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 08:44
it is clear. they have a draggy chassis , even with tow gets beaten down by Renault and force India.
It is clear that they are behind in development.

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

The car doesn't like cold as well.

DarkSurferZA
DarkSurferZA

Obviously not the best chassis on the grid...

With all the stick they gave the underperforming Honda last year, I am not in the game of showing them leniency for their underperformance.

Although I am sad to see a team with the heritage of McLaren as far back as they are, I wouldn't be sad to see them mugged in the media the way Honda was. Slower than red bull with the same engine, slower than Renault with the same engine, slower than Haas with "last year's Ferrari chassis"... Not the best chassis on the grid by far. "GP2 chassis!"

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

radosav
radosav

DarkSurferZA wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 08:57

With all the stick they gave the underperforming Honda last year, I am not in the game of showing them leniency for their underperformance.

Although I am sad to see a team with the heritage of McLaren as far back as they are, I wouldn't be sad to see them mugged in the media the way Honda was. Slower than red bull with the same engine, slower than Renault with the same engine, slower than Haas with "last year's Ferrari chassis"... Not the best chassis on the grid by far. "GP2 chassis!"

Well it is diferent engine than last year. Not same cog or weight. It affects chassis.

max_speed
max_speed

i will agree. it is a "GP2 chassis". i can not see they are so far from Renault. this year they are selling hopes on so called "mystery" updates.
i do not think they gonna come or when they come then they are not going to work. seriously starting to loose faith in their "capabilities" now.

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

The car has a pace hidden somewhere in there, conditions do affect their performance too much. I still believe in them for their updates and a stronger pace.

DarkSurferZA
DarkSurferZA

radosav wrote:
DarkSurferZA wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 08:57

Well it is diferent engine than last year. Not same cog or weight. It affects chassis.
The best chassis is the one that works, the one that's fastest, with the engine in it. It's not the one that's the best on the wall posters.

I am not as pessimistic about their ability to recover, but the dream was sold last year and again at the testing sessions. They we're not forgiving of Honda, they did not say "or size zero concept may have pushed Honda to...". Claims pointing every failure to Honda even when it turned out to be hydrolics.

"GP2 engine" claims were just asking for the microscope to come back to McLaren chassis