2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

NL_Fer wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 11:19
A crap chassis does not end in point finishes for oth drivers in both races. They are bad qualifiers at the moment and it with it was percieved that this car would come alive with a powerfull engine. This years Renault is not underpowered, but the car still is kinda slow.
If you're talking about having the best chassis, they should have been at least the 4th team. They can't even keep the Force India's behind them, while those cars are built with wooden tools. It's a joke and McLaren simply has done a terrible job, late or not.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I think the thing that is hardest to take is not the lack of results or performance, but the non-stop bragging and over-promising and under-delivering. Through out the off season, they were talking and talking, Zak, Eric, Fernando etc. The alluded to being competition for Red Bull and disturbing the order, they talked of podiums etc. Meanwhile, they were behind schedule, though they claimed they had caught up after the late switch.
They should keep their heads down, talk less and face the job. Maybe it's for the sake of sponsors, but still, they talk way too much. One minute Eric is saying they were too ambitious, the next they were not ambitious enough. One minute Fernando is saying they should forget about the midfield, the next he's asking people to be realistic, saying what did people except?
I guess they now appreciate the exceptional work Red Bull must be doing to have such a fast car.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Alonso Fan

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 17:59
I think the thing that is hardest to take is not the lack of results or performance, but the non-stop bragging and over-promising and under-delivering. Through out the off season, they were talking and talking, Zak, Eric, Fernando etc. The alluded to being competition for Red Bull and disturbing the order, they talked of podiums etc. Meanwhile, they were behind schedule, though they claimed they had caught up after the late switch.
They should keep their heads down, talk less and face the job. Maybe it's for the sake of sponsors, but still, they talk way too much. One minute Eric is saying they were too ambitious, the next they were not ambitious enough. One minute Fernando is saying they should forget about the midfield, the next he's asking people to be realistic, saying what did people except?
I guess they now appreciate the exceptional work Red Bull must be doing to have such a fast car.
You are right but they didn't get delayed because of the switch they got delayed because of the reliability issues in testing
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

rogazilla
rogazilla

Eb has to go. In testing they say the trouble is because they are too aggressive and they want to be competitive. Now their target is too low and they have already met their target for 2018?

Alonso Fan

rogazilla wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 18:03
Eb has to go. In testing they say the trouble is because they are too aggressive and they want to be competitive. Now their target is too low and they have already met their target for 2018?
Well to be fair in testing they didn't know where they ranked amongst other teams. So they thought they'd over done it. Turns out they aren't fast enough and need to bring more in terms of aero
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Alonso Fan wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 18:01
Ground Effect wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 17:59
You are right but they didn't get delayed because of the switch they got delayed because of the reliability issues in testing
Possibly, but I doubt the reliability issues caused the delay of the new nose all the way till May, for Barcelona. The nose should have been there for the presence season test, After all, it has to pass the mandatory FIA crash test, so ideally it should be part of the person season car.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

redmaxver
redmaxver

zac510 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 17:20
Exactly who would you replace him with?
I'm not a big fan of the football sack-the-manager-3-times-a-year style of running the team. In my opinion there are a lot of contributing factors to poor performance of a sports team, too many to simply put the blame on one man.
I agree with you, overseeing a late in the day engine change and trying not to lose too much ground on the midfield. That's a tall order. You could say the same for TR, but the Renault is a much bigger, heavier engine than the Honda so the task for McLaren will have been a bigger challenge.

I think he needs to pull it together, but we're only two races in... it'll come.

diffuser

rogazilla wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 18:03
I don't disagree with you but I don't agree either. You want to fire EB cause of what he said? In my opinion a lot of what is said you can't believe, its politically motivated.

Like to hear why we should fire EB and how that makes us better.
Last edited by diffuser on 15 Apr 2018, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

I think the problem is higher up than Eric. He says what he is told, he has no control over how the new car was designed and built, he is an admin man with some racing knowledge.
For no real good reason, I think Brown is trying to mold the team to his personal model, and I do not think he has enough knowledge either. There is still a vacuum where Ron Dennis used to be and things are falling into that crack and getting lost.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McMika98
McMika98

Its not just EB, its the whole rotten lot with a sense of entitlement because they are Mclaren. When i have been critical of Matt Morris and PeterP, i got slated here. Its clear these guys have no clue on how to improve the car. They have gone down this philosophy for the last 4years and by now should have reached the summit. U cant teach old dog new tricks and these guys have only explored one aero philosophy which has backfired fully. Even if they implement new ideas, it will take years to fully materialize, even sauber will be better then.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Big Tea wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 18:44
I think the problem is higher up than Eric. He says what he is told, he has no control over how the new car was designed and built, he is an admin man with some racing knowledge.
For no real good reason, I think Brown is trying to mold the team to his personal model, and I do not think he has enough knowledge either. There is still a vacuum where Ron Dennis used to be and things are falling into that crack and getting lost.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Big Tea wrote:
Ron Dennis came back under the assurance of bringing in sponsorship/investors, and he failed. in the last couple of seasons he was there, they lost Hugo Boss, Tag Heuer, Mobil. These are sponsors who had been with Mclaren for decades. He also didn't help much by vetoing any possible sign up of a second team by Honda. Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Sauber, Manor, were all possibilities for 2016. Like I've said, Ron Dennis has a great legacy in Mclaren and F1 as a whole, that can never be forgotten or understated, but in the end, he had lost it.

BrunoH
BrunoH

I think they should scout someone top from Force India to replace Eric, and someone from the mechanical / technical department also from there... they do very well for the cash they spend, and they dont seem to have technical or mechanical issues that much....

FW17

Eric is not paid just to talk, he is to be aware of where the team is heading. He is incharge of new hiring, creating a structure that evolves with time. Has this guy done any of that.

Was Bob Bell chased after, was James Allison chased after, has anyone from the top rung joined McLaren?

He was on the chopping block when the VW guy Capito came in, somehow he got lucky when Ron left and so did Capito.

Big Tea

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 19:05
Big Tea wrote:
Ron Dennis came back under the assurance of bringing in sponsorship/investors, and he failed. in the last couple of seasons he was there, they lost Hugo Boss, Tag Heuer, Mobil. These are sponsors who had been with Mclaren for decades. He also didn't help much by vetoing any possible sign up of a second team by Honda. Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Sauber, Manor, were all possibilities for 2016. Like I've said, Ron Dennis has a great legacy in Mclaren and F1 as a whole, that can never be forgotten or understated, but in the end, he had lost it.
But he was still doing the job. He may not have done it well, but he was where the gap is now.
Someone with vision and a realistic sense of who needs to do what and where they go.
I hate to admit it, but Dennis is yesterdays man (love him, but he is gone now) and no one is driving Mclaren on.
You can not run a race team by committee, look at Williams.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.