2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Snorked
Snorked

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Gasly said not much has been improved as there's no point in introducing big updates before they understand current package and exploit its full potential. Switching the tyres on has been the biggest issue so far this season.

Will these Pirelli changes help them?

He also mentioned Monaco or Canada as the venue for introduction of next sizeable update.

If the PU update is still on track for Canada then that would make the most sense.

HPD

1 PU for every 5 GP. It's not ideal, but it's not bad either
Gasly looks good on FP1

Marti_EF3

HPD wrote:
11 May 2018, 13:28
1 PU for every 5 GP. It's not ideal, but it's not bad either
Gasly looks good on FP1
PU on Hartley car is the same since AUS GP, right? Instead of the ERS problems with the old spec, it seems that the PU can hold a lot more than last year unit.

Gasly looks good with Mediums... Let's see on FP2. I'm going to the circuit right now, so I will se how they go (i'm on the 3rd sector, I see all the turns)

This time they can't mess with the setup... It's a really known track...

restless
restless

2 HPD
Canada is 7th GP, not 5th, Gasly PU change was not planned and Hartley is still on 1st unit

nzjrs

Revs84 wrote:
11 May 2018, 07:36
HPD wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:51
Me, waiting for updates :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://blog.foto24.com/wp-content/uplo ... avolta.gif
Alas, looks like little to no upgrades for this GP, as I haven't read anything yet. :cry:
Harley confirmed in paddock pass they have no updates http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngSou94PmDw&t=13m58s

Sayeman

Looks like the team is in freefall, performance gets worse every week!

They might end up in F3/GP3 by the end of the year if this trend continues.

Also the PU looks super slow, not sure detuned or not. Gasly was doing something like 270 at La caixa while Bottas was doing 295.
Never Give up.

flexcon
flexcon

So my internet is hit and miss right now,

AFAIK - On the speed trap it showed Gastley as the fastest through the speed trap right? 328KPH or something near that.

I am nearly positive I saw that - sorry if I am wrong.

HPD

I just think that Hartley could have new PU in Monaco and Gasly in Canada.

This training session was very difficult for everyone, but yes, TR looks weak..

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Sayeman wrote:
11 May 2018, 16:51
Looks like the team is in freefall, performance gets worse every week!

They might end up in F3/GP3 by the end of the year if this trend continues.

Also the PU looks super slow, not sure detuned or not. Gasly was doing something like 270 at La caixa while Bottas was doing 295.
Don't you think you're being a tad melodramatic? Free fall?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

HPD

Singabule
Singabule

Too bad, they need more DF as soon as possible

Marti_EF3

They are struggling a lot on the 1st sector (fast corners), maybe too low DF?? On the other sectors they are on the middle (Gasly)

Marti_EF3

So, i'm positive if they have a few tenths more on quali, if they were running on traffic today 😁
Jonathan Eddolls (Chief Race Engineer):
"We had fairly tricky conditions today, which was the same for everyone, as you could see there was lots of cars going off the track. A lot was due to the wind which was quite variable and gusty, and this is a track where even a small amount of wind can have quite a big effect because the corners are high-speed and quite open. In the morning with Brendon, he went off track in the first 40-minutes. It didn't really damage the car but he got a lot of stones in the cockpit, so for safety you don't want stones getting under the brake pedal, this meant we couldn't get back out within the 40 minutes which was a shame. In FP1 we focussed on setup works and mechanical setup items and some further developments on things that we tried here in winter testing. It's a very smooth track - the smoothest of the year - so you can try different setups here that wouldn't work at many other circuits, which we explored this morning. It was a fairly straight forward session for Pierre in FP1, again, it was just going through the setup work to understand more going into this afternoon. The conditions were tricky again in the second practice session. For Pierre, he ran wide at Turn 9 and damaged the floor quite heavily so we had to put a complete new floor on his car. On Brendon's first run, there was some damage to his floor which we were able to repair in the session. The mechanics did a great job to get the cars prepared so quickly but the problem was, to do all the repairs and to change the floor as well, we were late out for our supersoft qualifying run, which meant we ran into other cars that had started their long runs. We were unable to do nice, clean qualifying simulations, so I think the timesheets aren't a fair reflection of where the car is. Having said that, we're still not 100% happy with the balance of the car so there's still quite a lot of work to do overnight for tomorrow. On the long runs, both cars completed slightly shorter simulations than we had of liked because of the issues we had, but we've gathered the information and the soft tyre looks like it's behaving pretty well, we just need to go through everything and choose the best strategy for Sunday."

Toyoharu Tanabe (Honda F1 Technical Director):
"In general, our overall package appears to be improving compared to the last two difficult races. We have learned from the data acquired at the previous couple of Grands Prix and applied those ideas here.
Although there was a slightly long stop in the afternoon for both cars, we ran without major issue and we went through the usual Friday programme. However, it was a shame that our qualifying simulation runs were spoilt by traffic, while gusty winds also made the session a bit more complicated.
In tomorrow's final practice, we will focus a bit more on engine settings suitable for quick single laps, because qualifying well is very important here, as overtaking is difficult on this track.

McMika98
McMika98

These guys needs an experienced race engineer amd driver to develop the car in the right direction. Hartley must be confusing the hell out of the engineers with his feedback. How can you try setups in F2 and go horribly wrong? If i was Honda i would push for Jenson to get his seat. Even if he moans he knows what he wants on the car to go fast.
Pace is better than Williams and thats not saying much.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McMika98 wrote:
11 May 2018, 19:17
These guys needs an experienced race engineer amd driver to develop the car in the right direction. Hartley must be confusing the hell out of the engineers with his feedback. How can you try setups in F2 and go horribly wrong? If i was Honda i would push for Jenson to get his seat. Even if he moans he knows what he wants on the car to go fast.
Pace is better than Williams and thats not saying much.
You can't push for someone who doesn't want to race in F1 anymore, you might as well say they should push for Nico Rosberg, let's be realistic. From all indications, even Sebastian Buemi, who is a test driver for Red Bull wouldn't be keen, definitely Jean Eric Vergne isn't. So it isn't as though there is an abundance of quality drivers who are available.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.