2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Talisman
Talisman

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

I doubt Honda would gamble with an unready spec given they are clearly aiming to show they can do the season on three units theoretically. It’s a shame the PU was damaged beyond repair today and it’s a pity the regulations have no leeway for accidental damage unlike with gearboxes.

I’ve defended Hartley before but he seems to be trying too hard and making too many mistakes as a result. Time for him to back off a little I think, and time for STR to look for a replacement in the meantime if he doesn’t improve.

Zynerji

I bet Williams would release Kubica if asked. Wouldn't mess with the young driver program either.

Singabule
Singabule

With half the resources of the bulls, STR lagging so much behind in data crunching capability, let alone the improvement. So much things to do in first in season testing, and PU testing as well. I think they need test the PU in hartley car, since points is not possible anyway, and they can set the PU in the most conservative setting as they firstly need to understand New PU characteristic. If honda could introduce New PU every 2 races in MCL days, i think 5 races would be enough to introduce the updated one in hartley car

ronanharris09
ronanharris09

Singabule wrote:
13 May 2018, 03:44
They can set the PU in the most conservative setting as they firstly need to understand New PU characteristic.
Tanabe-san doesn't seem to be someone that loves to gamble. If it was Hasegawa-san, that'll be a tricky guess. . . he loves to mention the version number of the PU's too. I missed him . . .
Singabule wrote:
13 May 2018, 03:44
If honda could introduce New PU every 2 races in MCL days, i think 5 races would be enough to introduce the updated one in hartley car
If it wasn't because of reliability issues.

Zynerji

I'd roll the dice as penalties are almost assured now. Get some race mileage on the unit so you know better what to test.

etusch

Talisman wrote:
13 May 2018, 01:16

I’ve defended Hartley before but he seems to be trying too hard and making too many mistakes as a result. Time for him to back off a little I think, and time for STR to look for a replacement in the meantime if he doesn’t improve.
I was expecting much from him based on nothing ( :P ). It seems I am wrong. But I think he still deserve to wait at least until the end of first half

McMika98
McMika98

They dont get points for using 3 PU for the season . infact they will suffer more due to the engine mileage and power drop. There is more to gain by strategically using more PU to attack on power tracks with fresh issues. Anyways its near impossible for them to finia2h the season with 3 PU, so heck with it.

etusch

McMika98 wrote:
13 May 2018, 08:02
They dont get points for using 3 PU for the season . infact they will suffer more due to the engine mileage and power drop. There is more to gain by strategically using more PU to attack on power tracks with fresh issues. Anyways its near impossible for them to finia2h the season with 3 PU, so heck with it.
When we look what they did until now they could finish season as how everyone finished. They are planning strategic penalties as we know, but at first, they have to see how long it survive. This is true for everyone and everyone will push harder after second engines. I think Honda will use more aggressive settings by calculating engine life based on tested life of engine

Singabule
Singabule

Damn, another weekend wasted. Gasly run out luck

Sayeman

What a rubbish start of the race. Gasly made a terrible start and partly to blame.
Never Give up.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Sayeman wrote:
13 May 2018, 15:24
What a rubbish start of the race. Gasly made a terrible start and partly to blame.
How was he partly to blame??? :shock:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Sayeman

Ground Effect wrote:
13 May 2018, 16:35
Sayeman wrote:
13 May 2018, 15:24
How was he partly to blame??? :shock:
He had a terrible start off the line if you noticed. The crash wasn't his fault but he shouldn't have been that further back.
Never Give up.

Sayeman

Hartley comeon, make a move man.Don't be satisfied with being a backmarker.
Never Give up.

McMika98
McMika98

Expected a bad start due to tyre warm up problems. Hartley is just so frustrating, had hopes of him doing well in race but he has really been poor. Lost out to the worst car in Williams early on and cannot understand how he went from being few seconds behind Vandoorne to 12 seconds once the VSC kicked in.

Alonso Fan

McMika98 wrote:
13 May 2018, 16:51
Expected a bad start due to tyre warm up problems. Hartley is just so frustrating, had hopes of him doing well in race but he has really been poor. Lost out to the worst car in Williams early on and cannot understand how he went from being few seconds behind Vandoorne to 12 seconds once the VSC kicked in.
VSC gap is easy to explain. Everyone is going slower so it takes longer for cars to theoretically catch up to each other if the one in front suddenly stops
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa