2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Revs84
Revs84

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Looks like it wasn't fuel related after all:

"After the chequered flag, Brendon pulled over immediately as we spotted an anomaly on the telemetry, but it's nothing serious."

https://scuderiatororosso.redbull.com/e ... sh-gp-race

PhillipM
PhillipM

Maybe the anomoly was the fuel sensor reading '0' :D

etusch

When I saw the damaged car is Gasly's, that time race over for me. Hope he will do good race at Monaco. When we look the races, almost every race there are strange incidents. Monaca can be a race point for all finishers.

Marti_EF3

Revs84 wrote:
13 May 2018, 19:45
Looks like it wasn't fuel related after all:

"After the chequered flag, Brendon pulled over immediately as we spotted an anomaly on the telemetry, but it's nothing serious."

https://scuderiatororosso.redbull.com/e ... sh-gp-race
The engine started to sound like no fuel left just in front where I was. They can tell an anomaly, but the sound was what it was... So I think it's fuel related, maybe fuel pump... The engine was misfiring like when not enough fuel goes to the engine

Talisman
Talisman

Marti_EF3 wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:14
PhillipM wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:02
Revs84 wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:34
Still no official confirmation on what happened to Hartley. In the last few laps he seemed to be lapping quite respectably - quicker than the 2 - 3 in front. Is it possible that he did indeed run out of fuel?
Yes, someone at the track said it started spluttering and ran dry, they didn't/couldn't save enough fuel even with the safety cars/vsc's, too thirsty.
Sainz was having problems with fuel too. I think Hartley was pushing for the last 15 laps hard to overtake Ericsson, and they didn't calculated the amount of fuel left... He was lapping on Alonso times every lap since lap 50+-... Anyway, they didn't have anything to loose...
Even Bottas was being told to save more fuel during the race.

Shame about the first lap incident, I think a point or two was on the cards today. Not bad for a car that wasn't updated unlike most other cars.

It was interesting to see other engines having serious issues as well, Merc had one engine go, I assume Kimi's was the same (two engines in one weekend...), Vandoorne getting a new battery pack. Honda record doesn't look too bad so far with the one MGUH failure and Hartley's engine being smashed into pieces through an accident.

Sayeman

Talisman wrote:
13 May 2018, 22:34
Marti_EF3 wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:02

Yes, someone at the track said it started spluttering and ran dry, they didn't/couldn't save enough fuel even with the safety cars/vsc's, too thirsty.
Sainz was having problems with fuel too. I think Hartley was pushing for the last 15 laps hard to overtake Ericsson, and they didn't calculated the amount of fuel left... He was lapping on Alonso times every lap since lap 50+-... Anyway, they didn't have anything to loose...

Shame about the first lap incident, I think a point or two was on the cards today. Not bad for a car that wasn't updated unlike most other cars.

It was interesting to see other engines having serious issues as well, Merc had one engine go, I assume Kimi's was the same (two engines in one weekend...), Vandoorne getting a new battery pack. Honda record doesn't look too bad so far with the one MGUH failure and Hartley's engine being smashed into pieces through an accident.
How much are they compromising the chassis to ensure that reliability though? Car doesnt look good in corners in my opinion. Monaco will probably be painful.
Never Give up.

Big Tea

It is no going to matter much to them if the car starts 16th or last. I think as engine upgrades are available, bring them in.
There will come a point where it is worth hanging on, but it seems to be a way off yet. Concentrate on finishing the race in the best possible position, irrespective of starting position.

I can see how Honda would be touchy about reliability, bit once they are scoring good points on a regular basis, that will be forgotten.
Also, the better performance they produce, the more likely they are to get some boost from Red Bull.

Hartley is not going to make it, so cut the losses now and bring in a Honda backed driver to allow them some maneuvering room in the boardroom.

Unfortunate this week as I think Gastley could have had 2 or more points.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Talisman
Talisman

Sayeman wrote:
13 May 2018, 23:27
Talisman wrote:
Marti_EF3 wrote:

How much are they compromising the chassis to ensure that reliability though? Car doesnt look good in corners in my opinion. Monaco will probably be painful.
I think the chassis is compromised significantly by the lack of budget and other team resources. Also I think they've gone the opposite of McLaren by compensating for the lack of power by reducing downforce to maintain straight line speed.

Monaco might not be painful because its the least engine sensitive track IIRC, or one of the least. Having said that driver inexperience might count for a lot especially if Hartley is looking to push hard to redeem himself. Monaco won't tolerate any driver errors.

GhostF1
GhostF1

Sayeman wrote:
13 May 2018, 23:27
Talisman wrote:
Marti_EF3 wrote:

Can't be compromising too much as they have shown good pace with Gasly, even this GP he was at the same level as Vandoorne, but some tracks they lose overall balance. Hardly just a PU issue.
All we know, hard facts wise, is Tost mentoned that they are trying to understand the chassis still and Tanabe knows the PU is down on power, but only slightly.

McLaren and TR are having the same sort of issues. They are both hindered by the late PU swap so the cars aren't fully integrated. They both consistently qualify near each other.

Although the inconsistent pace is frustrating, there are positives in that the Honda looks equally reliable to the rest of field at the moment and the drivers say it isn't difficult to drive. They're doing well.
James Key also mentioned this car is compromised and he was more excited for what they could do with next year's car with the Honda PU. So maybe that's what we are seeing, band-aid fixes and pretty much a test platform year.

Marti_EF3

Monaco maybe will not be bad at all. On Barcelona I think they got some good traction at S3, which is the slowest... They were suffering a lot with S1... So we will see...

McMika98
McMika98

People need to stop making a correlation between engine performance and bad results. The biggest factor for the slump is rookie drivers, inability to optimise tyres temps and the chassis is no way compromised. Evolution from last year with more front wing so how is that a compromise. In terms of competitiveness they are on similar level to Mclaren which is much better than expected.
They will prolly struggle with tyre range in Monaco and the youngsters driving into the wall.

Bill
Bill

Str was built around the Renault engine,to say it was comprised to gain top speed is a lie ,they nothing in James key interviews that give that impression

maguetox
maguetox

McMika98 wrote:
14 May 2018, 07:18
People need to stop making a correlation between engine performance and bad results. The biggest factor for the slump is rookie drivers, inability to optimise tyres temps and the chassis is no way compromised. Evolution from last year with more front wing so how is that a compromise. In terms of competitiveness they are on similar level to Mclaren which is much better than expected.
They will prolly struggle with tyre range in Monaco and the youngsters driving into the wall.
And in this race McLaren present a lot of new parts, a new fuel and of course they have one of the best drivers of the grid, meanwhile TRS almost 0 upgades this weekend, since saturday only one car completly operational and the obvious, 2 rocky drivers.

Revs84
Revs84

From the latest pictures posted by STR, Moriyama San and Yamamoto San were both at Barcelona for the race. Something tells me that talks with Red Bull are indeed advancing, and I wouldn't be surprised if Honda were to 'debut' their new spec during this testing session.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HondaRacingF ... 8588525568

Marti_EF3

Live streaming tomorrow and wednesday from the Circuit at the afternoon. I will post the link here too 😎