2018 French Grand Prix, Le Castellet, June 22-24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
z.topoln
z.topoln

Re: 2018 French Grand Prix, Le Castellet, June 22-24

I hope they get rid of chicane for next year. With a measured drs it could mean side by side with 360 kmh onto a 320kmh corner.

Thats some pinneacle of motorsport.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

LionKing
LionKing

TAG wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 23:41
Mercedes stated that Hamilton hit a bird in his first attempt during Q3 which lodged debris in the brake duct which they didn't catch, causing the lock up issues at the hair pin. The race Sunday he was lucky to finish due to overheating. Lewis doesn't have off weekends in Canada. But a lot can happen during a race weekend.
Lewis locked up in his Q2 lap as well...

f1316
f1316

I’d like to hope that what we’re going to see at the front is a mix of strategies:

- Ferrari, perhaps gaining some places off the line, doing a US-SS-US
- Mercedes and Red Bull doing a SS-S one stopper

This could mean some real tyre offsets at certain points, with the Ferraris on US trying to use the extra grip to get past the one-stoppers who are on two steps harder tyres but have track position.

That’s probably all wishful thinking, but it’s weird for Ferrari to go US for the start if they don’t think they’ll do something different (unless they’re that confident in their ability to manage the tyres).

MtthsMlw

f1316 wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 13:35
I’d like to hope that what we’re going to see at the front is a mix of strategies:

This could mean some real tyre offsets at certain points, with the Ferraris on US trying to use the extra grip to get past the one-stoppers who are on two steps harder tyres but have track position.

That’s probably all wishful thinking, but it’s weird for Ferrari to go US for the start if they don’t think they’ll do something different (unless they’re that confident in their ability to manage the tyres).
I think Ferrari on US doesn't change much. Bit more grip at the start and a possibility for Vettel to try undercutting Bottas while risking to be overcut by Verstappen. In Canada Red Bull starting on HS didn't make much of a difference, too.

search

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 13:43
f1316 wrote:

I think Ferrari on US doesn't change much. Bit more grip at the start and a possibility for Vettel to try undercutting Bottas while risking to be overcut by Verstappen. In Canada Red Bull starting on HS didn't make much of a difference, too.
not much probably, no, a one stopper (on S for the 2nd part) with Ferrari dictating the time of the stop looks most likely, as Hamilton has to follow not to risk the undercut.

It could open a small chance for Bottas or a Red Bull though to stay out longer and wait for the rain

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

f1316 wrote:

Ferrari also has no new sets of US left - so it’s going to be a standard 1 stopper (if dry). The only question is if they’ll go to S or SS. I think as others have said, main difference will be that Vettel is likely to put first so can potentially undercut a car ahead, or be overcut by a car behind. Same ol same ol

MtthsMlw

JPBD1990 wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 14:12
f1316 wrote:

Ferrari also has no new sets of US left - so it’s going to be a standard 1 stopper (if dry). The only question is if they’ll go to S or SS. I think as others have said, main difference will be that Vettel is likely to put first so can potentially undercut a car ahead, or be overcut by a car behind. Same ol same ol
Vettel did quite an extensive long run on SS, I think he will go US-SS since he said they were very pleased with the tyre degradation they were seeing.

LM10
LM10

Was the second run Ferrari has done in Q2 on fresh US or on the ones they had done the first run?

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

LM10 wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 14:28
Was the second run Ferrari has done in Q2 on fresh US or on the ones they had done the first run?
Fresh. They went back out, because they did their fastest lap on the first run on the second hot lap (if that makes sense)

In other words, they start on tyres that have done 3 laps... standard

AnthonyG

Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

godlameroso

Yep gonna rain about an hour into the race. ~5pm local time.
Saishū kōnā

atanatizante

Which are the best places for overtaking? Turn 6, before the chicane and the last corner, turn 15, when we saw in F2 with a bold manoeuvre could cut into inside line?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

RZS10

Probably towards turn1 at the start ... lol ... wonder whether Max will do a Verstappen there

komninosm
komninosm

LionKing wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 13:10
TAG wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 23:41
Mercedes stated that Hamilton hit a bird in his first attempt during Q3 which lodged debris in the brake duct which they didn't catch, causing the lock up issues at the hair pin. The race Sunday he was lucky to finish due to overheating. Lewis doesn't have off weekends in Canada. But a lot can happen during a race weekend.
Lewis locked up in his Q2 lap as well...
I'm pretty sure they said they smelled the BBQ strange smell in Q1 from Hamilton's car.

komninosm
komninosm

Brenton wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 19:36
Super close between Ferrari and Mercedes it looks like!
GrandAxe wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 17:45
I don't blame Kimi for his so-so performances. He is doing just fine.
Any driver that has to compromise so many of their races "for the team" (as he does) would have both motivation and confidence deficits.
What I don't understand about the Kimi apologists who say that he's doing a good job, is what would they consider to be an unsatisfactory performance? Finishing behind a Renault? Miss Q3 on a regular basis?
Ferrari has ruined many drivers before, including Raikonnen again.
I guess Irvine and some others had really bad performances. RAI is doing fine all things considered in a team like Ferrari and with some bad luck.