Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dans79

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 18:52
Like this?
I mean this section!
201 105 104 9 9 7

Vanja #66

dans79 wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 20:21
I mean this section!
https://image.ibb.co/g8RdCJ/play.jpg
Yeah, my bad, I understood that but should have removed that arrow on Ferrari pic. :oops:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

dans79

Bottas's comments about the aero upgrades point to them being about making the care more stable. I tend to think this is so they can get more leeway with the suspension set up so they can work the softest tire compounds better.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13710 ... -stability
"The initial feeling is they really worked well," he said. "So the team has done a really good job on that.

"Especially the rear end of the car felt really stable. We still actually have some balance work to do to get the most out of it.

"It feels good. It always can be better, but it's a good start."

Asked if the changes would improve the tyre situation he said: "I think so. Last year I think in the race I had severe blistering in the left rear, so definitely Sunday it's going to be warmer, it could be an issue again, so at least today the rear felt good.

"There's still more lap time to be found with this configuration."
201 105 104 9 9 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I think it's fairly obvious that the devices around the sidepod leading edge are designed to improve flow to the rear end, especially the diffuser. If the diffuser is improved then that will give more downforce at the rear end, which should help the tyres, give more stability under braking etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sevach
Sevach

MtthsMlw

Also shorter/smaller sidepod deflectors?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The front-most deflector has to be shorter because they have shortened the forward projection of the floor below. No part above the step plane can be viewed from below which is why the cars have those silly slots cut in to various appendages.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godsire
godsire

Correct, the first deflector must be shorter to comply with the shadowing rule.

Furthermore, the addition of an extra delta wing (yellow arrow) means that the floor area below it has been significantly enlarged (+ a single slot since the delta wing has a cutout). There is no good picture showing this yet, unfortunately. Hence, this is a combination of downwash (pushing more air underneath the floor) + extra downforce from the larger floor bit (a lot of suction due to small ground proximity).

Mattchu

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 19:35
Mattchu wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 15:25
Vanja #66 wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 11:31
You can't develop a car as fast as you want if it's reaching it's development limit.
Couldn`t resist :P
Couldn't resist what, mate? :)
Just the fact that yourself maybe, me and probably quite a few others thought that the development of the car had plateaued and we`d only see small bits and pieces here on in. If this update works [as it looks to] you just have to say "wow", well played Mercedes...

Someone above stated that this upgrade could make the car more balanced and work better with the softer tyres. I suppose if you have the downforce spread more evenly [instead of just front and rear] the car will be more compliant.

Thanks to all for bringing us some great pictures and insight into what is going on =D>

GPR-A duplicate2

Mattchu wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 18:41
Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 19:35
Mattchu wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 15:25

Couldn`t resist :P
Couldn't resist what, mate? :)
Just the fact that yourself maybe, me and probably quite a few others thought that the development of the car had plateaued and we`d only see small bits and pieces here on in. If this update works [as it looks to] you just have to say "wow", well played Mercedes...
Since 2015, I have heard people here talk of "Laws of diminishing returns" with regards to the PU and the Chassis philosophies. I said this back then and I say it again, It depends upon the imagination of the engineers, which limits or extends the development of concepts.

5th year running and the Mercedes PU stays ahead of the competition, despite the oil ban which was considered as their PU's biggest strength. Their chassis continues to evolve and leads the field, despite the ban on FRIC and the other trick suspension that they had. The fact that they did not drop their low rake and longer wheel base philosophy, despite the early struggles of previous year, they continued their work to make it perfect tells the confidence of their design team.

ringo

IMO Ferrari power is ahead this year.
For Sure!!

MtthsMlw

ringo wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 19:30
Andy Cowell agrees with you.

Mattchu

ringo wrote:
You could well be right ringo, especially looking at how well the Ferrari supplied teams are doing when compared to the Mercedes ones. This maybe shows how good a job the chassis/aero teams are doing at Mercedes.

Zynerji

I agree as well.

They should freeze the engine at the end of the year. Not spec 3 engines, but the spec 4 that comes to the last test, and move to 6 units per car (saved dyno engines).

Then everyone can turn development of 2021 engines at the same time, and hopefully not have the spread from the last few years.

Sierra117

Mattchu wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 19:46
ringo wrote:
You could well be right ringo, especially looking at how well the Ferrari supplied teams are doing when compared to the Mercedes ones. This maybe shows how good a job the chassis/aero teams are doing at Mercedes.
Not sure about that. It more rightly shows how much better designed the Ferrari customer teams' chassis and aero are. Romain touched upon this too regarding how he had a great lap today, that their car behaves well on an aero track. What do we have for the Merc teams? Williams lost in the woods? Force India with a tiny budget? Haas has lots of experience in industry and racing before F1 and i bet that plays a huge part in quality aero.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir