2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
matt_b
matt_b

Re: 2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

Beautiful tyre management from Lewis, interesting strategy by Mercedes but he delivered and even set purple sectors at the end.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Re: 2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

Oh man, I didn't expect to cry with the picture of all 3 great drivers together. I started watching in 2006, all I know about formula 1 is those 3 guys. Thank you...

NathanOlder

Great to see. All 3 doing doughnuts on the finish line.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

sjcp06

NathanOlder wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 17:01
Great to see. All 3 doing doughnuts on the finish line.
Pretty emotional moment.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

That was a beautiful send off for Fernando. My respect goes to Lewis and Vettel for giving Alonso a formation drive and doughnut party. Its not often you see three multiple champs driving abreast and enjoying doughnuts together.

Talent like Fernando doesn't come often.

Sierra117

Darn, no radio message from Will Smith 😂
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Sierra117

OK NOW it's finally undisputed - Lewis has won a race after winning BOTH championships.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 25 Nov 2018, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

subcritical71

GrandAxe wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 16:16
Roxi wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 15:50
Im all for the Halo but when you're up-side-down pinned into a barrier with a helmet on and somewhat in "shock" from crashing a multimillion dollar machine. You're prob gonna have some trouble getting out :shock:
The halo effectively halves the room for the driver to get out.

As we saw, it can actually trap a driver and cause a fatality. Today we had a driver trapped in an upside down car that was on fire. Imagine the car on fire with its nose embedded underneath a tyre wall or entangled in some way that marshals can't manually turn it the right way up and you have the halo becoming a prison.
I missed the part where somebody died :wtf: (I know that is not what you meant)

The Halo both creates and takes away a gap, since the car landed flat upside down I don’t believe hulk was getting out of the car in that position either way (halo or not). The gap would have still been much too small. I hope what the FIA does though is use the crashed car as test and put it upside down in the same position and see if a driver can get out without the halo and the to see what other designs could be considered to prevent this situation (besides having Grosjean retire :wtf: )

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

It was a crying finish and after finish lap for me. Lewis and Seb driving together with Fernando was a special moment for sure, showing great respect for each other.
Thank you again for everything Fernando. I will miss you, many will miss you. F1 will not be the same for me. Supporting a true legend will always be my pleasure.

For the race, Lewis with some nice tyre management to the finish and Verstappen's overtake on Bottas was clever. Bottas getting more disappointing btw.

Let's get a good 2019.
Last edited by TheGkbrk on 09 Dec 2018, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

MtthsMlw

What was wrong with Ricciardo? He should have been much faster in the end.

Morteza

MtthsMlw wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 17:25
Exactly! What was the point of keeping him out that long when he didn't put the new rubber to any good use?! :wtf:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

popovic94

Be prepared to see Ocon in second Mercedes seat next year by the Barcelona, if Bottas is performaning like this season.
"Whoever you are, no matter what social position you have, rich or poor, always show great strength and determination, and always do everything with much love and deep faith in God. One day you will reach your goal." Ayrton Senna

matt_b
matt_b

Morteza wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 17:28
MtthsMlw wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 17:25
Exactly! What was the point of keeping him out that long when he didn't put the new rubber to any good use?! :wtf:
Just like Lewis in Texas once you push the tyres hard for 5-6 laps and catch the next car you've taken the best out of them, then they overheat and you're done. Hopefully this changes next year but the main reason they stayed out was for the possibility of a SC VSC or Rain.

iotar__

Half of the grid should go to the wheel to wheel kindergarden.
- Hulkenberg - pushing off and cutting across the corner as a way of overtaking. Had loads of space to try anything but why bother? No skills, close your eyes stiff racing is awarded. Not this time.
- He 100% caused the accident so where is Whiting and a penalty? He fell on his head so he can't be penalised :D ?

- MV vs Ocon: foul - slide across, overtake through collision, Verstappen's trademark move.
- MV another collision against Bottas, Turining into the other car. Verstappen's trademark move.
- Leclerc - mild push cut combo at the start

Also:
- rubbish tyre combo awarding slow drivers by accident
- Bottas - moving chicane role :cry:
- Ricciardo's strategy =P~ , if you didn't know the outcome you don't know f1. Sky experts didn't.