2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KingHamilton01

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Given McLaren haven't had a smooth winter's testing for a number of Pre-season's now I think that is there number 1 target right now, it's clear that they need a good baseline in terms of reliability with a chassis that is a solid foundation to build on during season. Key I am sure will want to pursue a number of his own idea's with the aero side, so hopefully once testing has started he will have officially started working for the team and able to start designing an update package for the car in Melbourne?
McLaren Mercedes

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

KingHamilton01 wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 18:12
Given McLaren haven't had a smooth winter's testing for a number of Pre-season's now I think that is there number 1 target right now, it's clear that they need a good baseline in terms of reliability with a chassis that is a solid foundation to build on during season. Key I am sure will want to pursue a number of his own idea's with the aero side, so hopefully once testing has started he will have officially started working for the team and able to start designing an update package for the car in Melbourne?
I very much doubt he'd have an influence on the car that starts the season in Melbourne, he would have to be there by now. They'd be fortunate to have him there to work on the Barcelona upgrade, maybe after the winter break?
They definitely need a solid pre season, because it's likely this car will be more revolution than evolution. So they'll be learning and validating quite literally per lap.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

KingHamilton01

Yeah I agree with you after there turbulent pre-season last year it would be a confidence boost for the team if they manage to get serious mileage under there belt. Hopefully Seidl will also be a positive influence on the team and can bring some idea's of his own to improve McLaren? with regards to Key I think it will probably be later that he is able to start working officially but we haven't been told yet so I believe there will be a small chance that he could have already started with the team.
McLaren Mercedes

ScottR267
ScottR267

Just seen that JCB are no longer a sponsor for Williams, therefore could they be joining McLaren as one of the two new sponsors Zak has confirmed they’re announcing this month?

Appreciate the link is almost a year old, however could this be the sponsor Claire was alluding too with McLaren trying to ‘poach’

https://www.planetf1.com/news/williams- ... -sponsors/

ME4ME

Williams lost them too!? Ouch.

Chicane
Chicane

Mclaren are starting from a clean sheet of paper. Zak has spoken positively about car development and also about Renault PU making good gains. The main task for Mclaren in preseason is to do plenty of running in order to leave no stone unturned as far as verifying every data on track. 2019 will be a season where Mclaren not only have an all new lineup but also have a new technical structure, new working philosophy, new simulation and analysis methods and an all new car which will most likely be a huge departure from what they had in the last three years.

They are basically going to have new cooling setup, totally different suspension geometry, pickup points, a different rake concept and most likely a low drag aero concept which they plan to develop and add efficient downforce as they go through the season. The 2019 cars will be heavier, draggier because of bigger, taller and wider front and rear wings with all the cascade elements removed from front wing and horizontal gills removed from rear wing end plates. The fuel capacity will be higher at 110kg. Mclaren will have Renault as a way to measure themselves on account of sharing the same power unit. If Mclaren manage to be close to Renault by the start of 2019 season it will have been a really fruitful winter. I expect them to come with a base package for 1st preseason test, add a few bits in second test but the whole package with all the bells and whistles will only be seen in Melbourne imho.
Quickshifter

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Chicane wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 21:19
Mclaren are starting from a clean sheet of paper. Zak has spoken positively about car development and also about Renault PU making good gains. The main task for Mclaren in preseason is to do plenty of running in order to leave no stone unturned as far as verifying every data on track. 2019 will be a season where Mclaren not only have an all new lineup but also have a new technical structure, new working philosophy, new simulation and analysis methods and an all new car which will most likely be a huge departure from what they had in the last three years.

They are basically going to have new cooling setup, totally different suspension geometry, pickup points, a different rake concept and most likely a low drag aero concept which they plan to develop and add efficient downforce as they go through the season. The 2019 cars will be heavier, draggier because of bigger, taller and wider front and rear wings with all the cascade elements removed from front wing and horizontal gills removed from rear wing end plates. The fuel capacity will be higher at 110kg. Mclaren will have Renault as a way to measure themselves on account of sharing the same power unit. If Mclaren manage to be close to Renault by the start of 2019 season it will have been a really fruitful winter. I expect them to come with a base package for 1st preseason rest, add a few bits in second test but the whole package with all the bells and whistles will only be seen in Melbourne imho.
That was one heck of a Mclaren season preview, nice post.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 15:37
godlameroso wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 15:09
Mileage from the opening practice session. All 8 days of testing with at least 100 laps each, then just keep pushing the design of the car until Melbourne.

They had plenty of time to rework the chassis to not only address its shortcomings, but to be as prepared as possible for the new regs. They are getting a massively upgraded Renault power unit.

I honestly think 2019 Mclaren will be over a second per lap faster than it was in 2018. Will that be enough, considering the deficit was 1.7 seconds, and if the new regulations slow the cars down a few tenths relative to 2018. They may be competitive enough to have a season long scrap with Renault for 4th best.
If Mclaren can start the season under a second from the top, that would be encouraging.
Under a second? That woud be amazing, highly unlikely though.

Jackles-UK

I think under one second is possible if Renault can make big strides over the winter. If they can reduce the power deficit they’ve had to the big boys significantly then I fully believe McLaren have the personnel and resources to build a chassis capable of that level of performance. Consistent points scores and regular Q3 appearances would represent a good jump forward in my eyes.

NathanOlder

The trouble is, You could end up 1 second off the pace, but have Merc, Ferrari, RedBull out front, Renault half a second away, then Sauber, Racing Point, Haas and even Toro Rosso all in and around the 1 second gap. So 1 second off the pace and be only score 5 points across 5 races!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Off topic, heard Fernando drove a blinding stint in the wet at the Rolex 24....

Mod edit: there is a thread on that: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27891

McG

proteus wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 11:45
Dont know what is wrong with orange and simple livery design. If we take a Ferrari as an example, they looked much better when they were simply red, now with all that random white color they look like cheap plastic ripoff toy cars.
It's probably the same people that called for the mid 2000's testing livery that are now saying they don't like this one!

The 2018 livery was lovely. I can't wait to see it on a successful car.

More decals and colours don't make a car any more beautiful. Just look at the decals all over the Force India. Fair anough that it means that they have more sponsors which says something, but I wouldn't be surprised if McLaren bring in more sponsor money with apparently less sponsors.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

McG

M840TR wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 16:45
Mclaren and Mercedes still aren't direct competitors. One sells mid-engined track focused supercars, the other mostly luxury sedans and family saloons. It had more to do with how Ron and Whitmarsh ran the team. in 8 years the factory Merc has won more than twice the championships they did with Mclaren in 16, and is dominating the sport since half a decade; these stats say it all really. Never mind the spygate saga.
That's an over simplification of the past 8 years.
Won't go into it too much, but from the very beginning of the McLaren Mercedes partnership, Mercedes wasn't always tje most reliable engine, whereas the McLaren chassis was amazing.
Mercrdes has had it very easy since their return, especially in the hybrid era.
Last edited by McG on 28 Jan 2019, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

ScottR267
ScottR267

McG wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 21:57
proteus wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 11:45
Dont know what is wrong with orange and simple livery design. If we take a Ferrari as an example, they looked much better when they were simply red, now with all that random white color they look like cheap plastic ripoff toy cars.
It's probably the same people that called for the mid 2000's testing livery that are now saying they don't like this one!

The 2018 livery was lovely. I can't wait to see it on a successful car.

More decals and colours don't make a car any more beautiful. Just look at the decals all over the Force India. Fair anough that it means that they have more sponsors which says something, but I wouldn't be surprised if McLaren bring in more sponsor money with apparently less sponsors.
I agree the 2018 livery was very nice. My only problem with it was the amount of orange which can be attributed to the lack of sponsors or lack of apetite to enlarge and maximise the sponsors they had. Hopefully with some new and bigger sponsors this will not be the case for the 19 season.

Was also a fan of the 17 livery I thought the black complimented the orange well, however from opinions online it seems I may have been one of a few.

GoranF1
GoranF1

McG wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 22:22
M840TR wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 16:45
Mclaren and Mercedes still aren't direct competitors. One sells mid-engined track focused supercars, the other mostly luxury sedans and family saloons. It had more to do with how Ron and Whitmarsh ran the team. in 8 years the factory Merc has won more than twice the championships they did with Mclaren in 16, and is dominating the sport since half a decade; these stats say it all really. Never mind the spygate saga.
That's an over simplification of the past 8 years.
Won't go into it too much, but from the very beginning of the McLaren Mercedes partnership, Mercedes wasn't always tje most reliable engine, whereas the McLaren chassis was amazing.
Mercrdes has had it very easy since their return, especially in the hybrid era.
As soon as Mercedes looses domination they will start to complain like Honda, Toyota, BMW and co. and leave F1.
Mclaren will stay.
Mclaren is legend, Mercedes is ---.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."