F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LM10
LM10

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

dans79 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 22:07
LM10 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:34
Schuttelberg wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 20:56
Followed the test extensively. The sandbags on the Mercedes are humongous.
Teams are able to analyze everything per GPS anyway, aren’t they? So, what’s the benefit in sandbagging? You’ll just minimize your potential programme. Teams just look (or should look) at themselves.
I was asleep during the morning session, but from what I could tell from Hamilton's afternoon runs it looks Mercedes where doing heavy fuel testing, and tire temperature range testing.
Yes, they definitely were doing heavy fuel testing. But that’s not called sandbagging. That’s my point. I don’t see a benefit of sandbagging. Do you? Maybe someone can explain me the possible benefits. :) Sandbagging or not shouldn’t have an effect on other teams as they have their own programme and their own goals. Am I wrong?

Sierra117

I'mma say it now, Williams trolling everyone with a super 'rokit' that's gonna wipe em all out and this whole parts late thing is just a red herring while they perfect the monster 😎😎
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

F1Krof

Schuttelberg wrote:
I personally don't believe so. They're somehow too 'conventional' if I may say. The front wing looks rudimentary compared to most of them.

Ferrari looking very strong though.
Wroom wroom

dans79

LM10 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 22:26
That’s my point. I don’t see a benefit of sandbagging. Do you? Maybe someone can explain me the possible benefits. :) Sandbagging or not shouldn’t have an effect on other teams as they have their own programme and their own goals. Am I wrong?
If/when a team is sandbagging, it's usually done to prevent other teams from looking to closely at them.

If you have something on the car that gives you a big advantage but isn't easily recognizable as an advantage, then hiding it has a benefit. Mainly you delay when your opponents start looking into the concept so they can copy it (think 2009).

Sandbagging can take many forms, running way more fuel than needed for the given test run, not using the full extent of the track, running in lower power modes, not using DRS, etc etc.
201 105 104 9 9 7

zibby43
zibby43

F1Krof wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 22:53
Schuttelberg wrote:
I personally don't believe so. They're somehow too 'conventional' if I may say. The front wing looks rudimentary compared to most of them.

Ferrari looking very strong though.
I think Schuttelberg is dead-on, but I don't agree with the term "sand-bagging."

Merc are just running their own program, and couldn't care less about turning out the occasional quick lap. I can't argue with their approach, considering what it has helped them achieve the past 5 years.

What are you basing your contradictory opinion on? It can't be just the front wing, which I think is actually fascinating (partially because of the end plate design) and beautifully constructed. The FW appears to be fine, especially considering Mercedes previously had the most complicated front wing in the entirety of F1 with their beautifully sculpted outwash tunnels.

Mercedes and Ferrari both had a reasonable start from a reliability perspective. It's been 1 day. In terms of pace? We have no serious long run times to analyze yet.

James Allison after testing today:

"We managed to squeeze quite a lot in to this first day of running, finding out both how the 2019 tyres are working and also learning about the way the car responds to set-up changes. Today was not about absolute pace and we’re reasonably pleased with the handling of the car and the way it is behaving."

And as a reminder, last year, after 2 weeks of testing, Hamilton was 8th fastest in terms of single lap pace.
Last edited by zibby43 on 18 Feb 2019, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

dans79 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 22:55
LM10 wrote:
That’s my point. I don’t see a benefit of sandbagging. Do you? Maybe someone can explain me the possible benefits. :) Sandbagging or not shouldn’t have an effect on other teams as they have their own programme and their own goals. Am I wrong?
If/when a team is sandbagging, it's usually done to prevent other teams from looking to closely at them.

If you have something on the car that gives you a big advantage but isn't easily recognizable as an advantage, then hiding it has a benefit. Mainly you delay when your opponents start looking into the concept so they can copy it (think 2009).

Sandbagging can take many forms, running way more fuel than needed for the given test run, not using the full extent of the track, running in lower power modes, not using DRS, etc etc.
I think that with the recent car building pedigree of Mercedes, everyone will be analysing every aspect of their car anyway. As they would Ferrari and Red Bull.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

zibby43
zibby43

LM10 wrote:
they have their own programme and their own goals. Am I wrong?
That's a very good way of putting it.

All that being said, teams still do play little games to hide true pace.

Back in 2017, I believe it was, Seb would lift after the final corner on his fast flying laps during testing (adding a bit of time). No reason to do that other than hide potential.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Midfield is going to be tighter then ever.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 22:07
LM10 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:34
Schuttelberg wrote:
Teams are able to analyze everything per GPS anyway, aren’t they? So, what’s the benefit in sandbagging? You’ll just minimize your potential programme. Teams just look (or should look) at themselves.
They can use GPS, and audio processing, but they need known good data points to base that off of, and they won't get that till a few races into the season.

I was asleep during the morning session, but from what I could tell from Hamilton's afternoon runs it looks Mercedes where doing heavy fuel testing, and tire temperature range testing.
According to the forum front page article, Mercedes were doing tyre/aero checks with Bottas, reaction to set up changes with Hamilton.

Driving to a delta makes sense with both of these scenarios. Drive a delta, see what the car does, make a change, do the delta, see what changes happen in e.g. tyre temps.

Others, going faster, may have been doing reliability runs putting the systems under realistic stresses to see what breaks / doesn't break etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Tzk
Tzk

F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Well, pushing and lifting on the last corner is one of the most obvious ways... if you want to hide potential, you just run more drag, more fuel or less power. Or you just keep yourself away from glory runs and just stick to your program like the mercs do...

Regarding the midfield: yes, itll be very interesting. Especially toro rosse vs. Alfa vs. Haas. Also mclaren progress and probsbly the williams fail.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Ferrari gonna be the team to beat.
Mercedes and RedBull fight for P2, and both will improve during the season and seriously fight for P1 with eachother and Ferrari.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

LM10
LM10

dans79 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 22:55

Yea, that makes sense.

zibby43 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 23:08
That's a very good way of putting it.

All that being said, teams still do play little games to hide true pace.

Back in 2017, I believe it was, Seb would lift after the final corner on his fast flying laps during testing (adding a bit of time). No reason to do that other than hide potential.
You're right. I remember 2017 as well.

nevill3

Hulkenberg said in a post test interview that the braking distances this year are very short and he wondered if that would reduce the opportunities for "putting your nose in" at the apex for a pass. So maybe less overtaking on the brakes this year?
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Manoah2u wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 23:19
Ferrari gonna be the team to beat.
Mercedes and RedBull fight for P2, and both will improve during the season and seriously fight for P1 with eachother and Ferrari.
Based on the first day of testing?!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djos

r101 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:29
Jambier wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 20:42
marmer wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 20:06
Surprised to see both Renault's bottom of the list
Yep :cry:

It will be a very hard battle again to finish P4, with Alfa, Haas, Racing point and McLaren to beat at least
No really what the objective is supposed to be

But I think Renault still got many updates in the pocket
I was looking at the live stream and wondered why Renault drivers never opened their DRS. Then I saw 15-20kph difference on all 3 top speed measurement points between Sainz and both Renault drivers. They are still not full on it.
Both Renault drivers spent the day on the second hardest compound and never used DRS so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. Besides it's testing and they were likely validating the new engine rather than doing glory runs.
"In downforce we trust"