F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jambier

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Ferrari keep dominating. I hope for a fight in the championship between the two drivers at least

Renault keep having awful winter testing. So now it will be very complicating for the rest of testing

dans79

Neither, it's just boring.
F1Krof wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:53
dans79 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:51
It's like watching paint dry.
F1Krof wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:41

Why?
I still don't understand?

Do you mean like they're sandbagging and not showing their hand? Or do you feel they are slower this year and you don't like it?
201 105 104 9 9 7

Giblet
Giblet

Jambier wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:41
Ferrari keep dominating. I hope for a fight in the championship between the two drivers at least

Renault keep having awful winter testing. So now it will be very complicating for the rest of testing
Ferrari are not "dominating" just because they are choosing to do laps at a quicker pace right now.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Morteza

From AMuS
Yesterday there have been problems with the GPS. Today it works. Teams say, it is extremly difficult to read laptimes, because everybody is on a different program.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Phil

Quote by Karun on the Autosport livefeed;
Karun Chandhok wrote: I've been out watching all the way from Turn 1 to Turn 9 this morning.

The Ferrari looks very good and stable in the change of direction and the rear end in particular seems planted.

The Mercedes still seems better on the kerbs, at T7 for example and their traction is still excellent. Lewis also seems the most comfortable to have just a tiny lift through the ultra fast T9 despite carrying a decent fuel load.

The Honda’s gearshifts and engine note seem audibly much smoother than last year and I’m sure Gasly’s on a decent fuel load as he’s just pounding round and round with the Red Bull looking very consistent and balanced. That traditional strong front end in the medium/slow speed corners continues to be a characteristic and you can see how deep Gasly can go on the brakes into T1 and T4.

Of the midfield cars, the Alfa continues to impress as a consistently balanced car and looks particularly good in the medium speed corners.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ironrose
ironrose

Charles Leclerc's latest stint: 1:18.2, 1:18.2, 1:18.6, 1:19.3, 1:19.6, 1:20.9, 1:22.7, 1:32.2, 1:43.6

Jambier

Giblet wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:48
Jambier wrote:

Ferrari are not "dominating" just because they are choosing to do laps at a quicker pace right now.
It's not about the pace, it's more than even them are surprised with it. Better than in simulation, with big smiles in all the team.

But indeed that do not mean that Mercedes may be at same pace, but for now Ferrari shows the best form

Giblet
Giblet

Jambier wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:54
Giblet wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:48
Jambier wrote:

It's not about the pace, it's more than even them are surprised with it. Better than in simulation, with big smiles in all the team.

But indeed that do not mean that Mercedes may be at same pace, but for now Ferrari shows the best form
Again, it doesn't mean they are dominating and we do not have enough race sims to make a call yet.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

SiLo

Phil wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:53
Karun Chandhok wrote: I've been out watching all the way from Turn 1 to Turn 9 this morning.

The Ferrari looks very good and stable in the change of direction and the rear end in particular seems planted.

The Mercedes still seems better on the kerbs, at T7 for example and their traction is still excellent. Lewis also seems the most comfortable to have just a tiny lift through the ultra fast T9 despite carrying a decent fuel load.

The Honda’s gearshifts and engine note seem audibly much smoother than last year and I’m sure Gasly’s on a decent fuel load as he’s just pounding round and round with the Red Bull looking very consistent and balanced. That traditional strong front end in the medium/slow speed corners continues to be a characteristic and you can see how deep Gasly can go on the brakes into T1 and T4.

Of the midfield cars, the Alfa continues to impress as a consistently balanced car and looks particularly good in the medium speed corners.
Finally some proper observations! Thanks for posting :)
Felipe Baby!

Vasconia

Phil wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:53

These notes are the most interesting ones. Still I want to read his impressions about the McLaren.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Jambier wrote:
You don't win any points for dominating testing. It's how the Ferrari performs in qualifying and race trim against the Mercedes that counts. It's not that often that testing shows a truly dominate car before the season starts.
It's better to have a DRS failure like that during testing so they can discover what the fault is, and fix it
before the season starts.

godlameroso

e30ernest wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 07:02
godlameroso wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 04:31
We need to wait for long runs, a race sim, or something along those lines. The pace of the cars can vary as much as 6 seconds from slowest race pace to fastest quali run. In the race sims they will gain 3 seconds as the car burns fuel. So if you know the cars are filled to the brim, you take the lap time and subtract 6 seconds and you get roughly what the car is capable of at full tilt. Alternately you can find a short run, maybe 5 laps with low fuel, and you'll know that the ultimate pace is more or less around 3 seconds faster. The tricky thing is that they can fuel anywhere in between, and no team shows their real hand in testing, even in the qualifying sims, they'll use a harder tire to qualify on, or lift somewhere in the lap to mask their pace.

Right now most teams are checking that the real aero is matching their virtual numbers, systems checks, trying things out. We won't see any work on performance until tomorrow.
I don't think you can judge their real pace through their lap times even then. There's no telling what suspension/aero setup they have going at any single time.
In the race sims you can because the fuel level is given.
Saishū kōnā

dans79

Not as much this year, Merc for example all but said they will be running les fuel. Thus they could run heavy on purpose just to throw others off.
godlameroso wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 04:31
n the race sims you can because the fuel level is given.
201 105 104 9 9 7

ironrose
ironrose

LEC latest stint with lap numbers

OUT - 49
1:18:4 - 50
1:31.4 - 51
1:18:3 - 52 (purple- sector 2)
1:18:9 - 53
1:19:3 - 54
1:20:5 - 55
1:21:0 - 56
1:21:6 - 57
1:28:5 - 58
1:36:4 - 59
IN

illario
illario

LM10 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:50
illario wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:46
With all the respect i dont want to offend anyones intellect. Speaking from my gut, it seems that Ferrari has less gravitational pull in the corners, I’m thinking this is because its cleaner and lighter on the top. I also had this counterintuitive feeling which i cant explain, I’m thinking with DRS open it will gain more than others.
What exactly do you mean by gravitational pull in the corners?
I was thinking less roll in the corners