F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TAG

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

f1316 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:39
(FYI I was massively surprised by that stat - feels like Lewis is much better at this than virtually anyone else, and that Seb struggled a bit with that last year, but not according to the article.)
Stringing together the three fastest sectors doesn't mean it's the fastest possible lap. In the end the only thing you can look at it lap time. Many tracts in the calendar force a driver to set up the car in a compromising way to achieve that total lap time.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Phil

Wynters wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 15:17
Phil wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:54
I think it's intriguing, especially given the differences in aero philosophies that Ferrari (and more so Sauber/Alfa) has gone in a very different direction than Mercedes and somewhat RedBull has. The big question here is, if Mercedes have got it wrong and missed a beat or not. If they have (or Ferrari have), it won't be as easy to change.
Anderson seems to be pretty certain that the times Mercedes were posting yesterday are a very accurate representation of the best the drivers could get out of it.

"The car is where the car is and the driver's can't make up for much."

I assume he's trolling. They may well not have the fastest car, but I suspect it's unlikely that Bottas and Hamilton were ringing the neck of the car on Day 1.
Of course they were pushing. The question is with how much engine power (mapping) and how much fuel. Then there are also tires and set-up to take into account. They could have been pushing relative to a longer stint (aka race stint) or a QF sim (doubtful given the weight). I assume Anderson was reporting on what looks like drivers being on the limit within what the current package allows (fuel, setup, tires etc).

From what I gather, the front-wing philosophy could also have a larger impact on tire wear. If what AMuS is reporting is true, it seems the Sauber and less extreme Ferrari philosophy could mean that their front-wing generates less downforce but have a clean airflow to the back. This might mean their car is less draggy. Mercedes's concept is somewhat opposite with more downforce at the front, which causes more turbulent air around the front tires that needs to be cleaned up. This results in overall more drag. More downforce could also mean that it could be better for the tires. The big question mark is, if the Sauber/Ferrari concept wing works and if they found a way to get more downforce despite that front-wing.

In the AMuS article, an engineer speculates that due to the higher rakes, it allows them to have the front-wing closer to the ground which is how they might be solving it.

At the end of the day, I'm still expecting quite a big gap between the top 3 and the rest. The big question simply is, if the two different aero concepts offer a huge advantage over one another or if at the end of the day, they remain similar with different pros and cons...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

f1316
f1316

Wynters wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 15:17
Phil wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:54
I think it's intriguing, especially given the differences in aero philosophies that Ferrari (and more so Sauber/Alfa) has gone in a very different direction than Mercedes and somewhat RedBull has. The big question here is, if Mercedes have got it wrong and missed a beat or not. If they have (or Ferrari have), it won't be as easy to change.
Anderson seems to be pretty certain that the times Mercedes were posting yesterday are a very accurate representation of the best the drivers could get out of it.

"The car is where the car is and the driver's can't make up for much."

I assume he's trolling. They may well not have the fastest car, but I suspect it's unlikely that Bottas and Hamilton were ringing the neck of the car on Day 1.
All you have to do is start a sentence with “Anderson says/thinks etc.” and we know how much faith to put in it. Another person who thought last year’s Ferrari wasn’t fast btw.

But the actual fw philosophy question is an interesting one. The narrative at the moment seems to be around how the Alfa/Ferrari fw can make enough front downforce whilst sacrificing so much wing span to turning the air; feels like a complete red herring to me since front downforce was already being massively sacrificed for the tunnels etc. towards the end plates anyway. I don’t remember any car finding it hard to add enough front downforce since the much shorter fw’s of 2008 and before.

Likewise, if they needed to, surely they could also create a more full width, rounder nose to create some downforce (I.e. exactly what Rory Byrne said he did in 2001 or so). There’s surely lots they can do to add some cheap df at the front but the game is - and has been for the last ten years - to get enough airflow to the back, no?

f1316
f1316

TAG wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 15:46
f1316 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:39
(FYI I was massively surprised by that stat - feels like Lewis is much better at this than virtually anyone else, and that Seb struggled a bit with that last year, but not according to the article.)
Stringing together the three fastest sectors doesn't mean it's the fastest possible lap. In the end the only thing you can look at it lap time. Many tracts in the calendar force a driver to set up the car in a compromising way to achieve that total lap time.
I know it doesn’t mean fastest possible but it means peaking at the right moment, maximising what he is capable of; it’s not my impression that Seb did that last year as he final runs were often not an improvement, but the stats suggest that he didn’t throw away a lot of good laps with fast first sectors, for example.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

People have made a big deal of Mercedes testing program, but personally I don’t understand ferrari’s. I can’t percieve of any possible benefit of just coming straight out and spanking lap times so early. Also different to their 2018 strategy (from memory).

Can anyone speculate? Wouldn’t they just want to get a baseline of the cars aero performance first and foremost? How could introducing a whole lot of different fuel loads so early... help?

Ps I’m a Ferrari fan so don’t attack me as if I’m saying it’s wrong... just trying to learn.

Sierra117

Aaaaaaand we are back with the strange "standardising parts" "conversation" on Sky. News flash guys, we already have it! It's called F2.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Sierra117

JPBD1990 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 16:00
People have made a big deal of Mercedes testing program, but personally I don’t understand ferrari’s. I can’t percieve of any possible benefit of just coming straight out and spanking lap times so early. Also different to their 2018 strategy (from memory).

Can anyone speculate? Wouldn’t they just want to get a baseline of the cars aero performance first and foremost? How could introducing a whole lot of different fuel loads so early... help?

Ps I’m a Ferrari fan so don’t attack me as if I’m saying it’s wrong... just trying to learn.
Maybe they're aiming to perfect their qualifying and max-attack abilities? Could be they have a good idea of fuel loads from internal testing at Maranello or wherever. Or maybe they're doing everything in reverse.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

ferkan
ferkan

You would think Ferrari is team with least amount of laps, and not most. Ferrari seems to be able to put fast laps + tons of laps, which means they are probably really fast and not under-fueled. I noticed last few years, when teams where getting tons of attention for their speed, in alot of cases they didn't make alot of laps as they had to refill their tanks.

munudeges
munudeges

We'll have to see if this pattern is repeated through this and the next test. If it is then we can say Ferrari and probably Alfa have something.

nevill3

Maybe Ferrari are just doing the same as Mercedes but the car is just that bit quicker, we will find out in Australia
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

This was posted on BBC's live testing thread! Quite funny :P
https://twitter.com/i/status/1097857178688475137
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

KiLLu12258
KiLLu12258

Renault is starting Racesim with 24,8

gastonmazzacane

JPBD1990 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 16:00

Years ago, when BrawnGP was dominating pre-season testings, everyone said they ran light because it was for them to get attention for possible sponsors. But later it was clear they were just fast...
Not saying there's any correlation in this two cases, but I do hope this Ferrari is fast :D

Wynters
Wynters

Phil wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 15:47
Of course they were pushing. The question is with how much engine power (mapping) and how much fuel. Then there are also tires and set-up to take into account. They could have been pushing relative to a longer stint (aka race stint) or a QF sim (doubtful given the weight). I assume Anderson was reporting on what looks like drivers being on the limit within what the current package allows (fuel, setup, tires etc).
If I were doing part comparisons and testing various aspects of a new design, I don't think I'd be pushing super hard all the time (or, at all on the first day) because then the driver becomes a significant factor. If the drivers are both driving within themselves, to a Delta perhaps, then their performance is pretty much removed from that comparison, no? That would seem to be better for establishing a starting baseline of actual car performance, wouldn't it?

I'm also not entirely certain that the difference in raw speed between Bottas and Hamilton is 8/1000ths of a second, which seemed to be the foundation of his view that the Mercedes was on the limit of it's maximum performance.

I've been wrong before though.

dans79

From Autosport.
08:00 Long run snippets: We saw Leclerc's first run of the afternoon start in the 1m23s on C2s before drifting way out to the 1m27s before he made a mistake and came in. Bottas put in a very interesting run that was consistently in the 1m21s on the softer C3s - but crucially we don't know how their fuel loads compared. We've also heard from Daniel Ricciardo that he was happy in the morning with the Renault being able to lap around the low 1m23s and high 1m22s. Meanwhile, right now we have Norris circulating very consistently in the 1m26s, using C2 tyres on the McLaren. It seems unlikely all three of Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault would run lighter than McLaren, so is that bad news for the British team?
201 105 104 9 9 7