F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
thestig84
thestig84

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

mantikos wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:19
Wynters wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 15:17
Phil wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:54
I think it's intriguing, especially given the differences in aero philosophies that Ferrari (and more so Sauber/Alfa) has gone in a very different direction than Mercedes and somewhat RedBull has. The big question here is, if Mercedes have got it wrong and missed a beat or not. If they have (or Ferrari have), it won't be as easy to change.
Anderson seems to be pretty certain that the times Mercedes were posting yesterday are a very accurate representation of the best the drivers could get out of it.

"The car is where the car is and the driver's can't make up for much."

I assume he's trolling. They may well not have the fastest car, but I suspect it's unlikely that Bottas and Hamilton were ringing the neck of the car on Day 1.
Anderson is also a moron - especially if he thinks all out Bottas and HAM can get the same out the car, then why aren't they rated the same and get paid the same? There are levels within drivers, for sure, and they can use the same equipment and get different times. If times are consistent between different drivers, AND significantly slower than others, then it only means they are driving to a delta to study the effects of a heavy full tank car on the new tires.
Totally agree. I cant believe people are still listening to Anderson. Utter rubbish, that is all he ever spouts!

HPD

santos
santos

matt_s wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:27
Anderson seems to be pretty certain that the times Mercedes were posting yesterday are a very accurate representation of the best the drivers could get out of it.
It they had the PU at 90%, maybe it was all they could get ouf the car.

They were also on harder tyres than everyone else did faster laps on.
Autosport says that their fastest time was set on C3 tyres. The same that HAAS and Ferrari used.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

JPBD1990 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 16:00
People have made a big deal of Mercedes testing program, but personally I don’t understand ferrari’s. I can’t percieve of any possible benefit of just coming straight out and spanking lap times so early. Also different to their 2018 strategy (from memory).

Can anyone speculate? Wouldn’t they just want to get a baseline of the cars aero performance first and foremost? How could introducing a whole lot of different fuel loads so early... help?

Ps I’m a Ferrari fan so don’t attack me as if I’m saying it’s wrong... just trying to learn.
Perhaps we are witnessing another Brawn moment? Brawn was out of sight in both testing and more than half the season. However Ferrari's long runs don't seem to bear this out.

It would seem like Ferrari and Alpha Romeo (Sauber) have gone for low downforce configurations. In which case they would be faster in quali, but use up tyres in the race; they would also spin more in the corners (witness Alpha Romeo and yesterdays red flag).

The way the cars go through the corners (and over kerbs) is the thing to observe at this time as F1 is mostly about cornering speed.

santos
santos

Well, it's testing days. So the mechanics will have work to do… that counts as practice also. :wink:

mantikos
mantikos

santos wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:36
matt_s wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:27
It they had the PU at 90%, maybe it was all they could get ouf the car.

They were also on harder tyres than everyone else did faster laps on.
Autosport says that their fastest time was set on C3 tyres. The same that HAAS and Ferrari used.
Sorry, but you are wrong - VET used a softer tire for his time yesterday. Merc was on the new Medium.

mantikos
mantikos

GrandAxe wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:40
JPBD1990 wrote:
People have made a big deal of Mercedes testing program, but personally I don’t understand ferrari’s. I can’t percieve of any possible benefit of just coming straight out and spanking lap times so early. Also different to their 2018 strategy (from memory).

Can anyone speculate? Wouldn’t they just want to get a baseline of the cars aero performance first and foremost? How could introducing a whole lot of different fuel loads so early... help?

Ps I’m a Ferrari fan so don’t attack me as if I’m saying it’s wrong... just trying to learn.
Perhaps we are witnessing another Brawn moment? Brawn was out of sight in both testing and more than half the season. However Ferrari's long runs don't seem to bear this out.

It would seem like Ferrari and Alpha Romeo (Sauber) have gone for low downforce configurations. In which case they would be faster in quali, but use up tyres in the race; they would also spin more in the corners (witness Alpha Romeo and yesterdays red flag).

The way the cars go through the corners (and over kerbs) is the thing to observe at this time as F1 is mostly about cornering speed.
Perhaps there's an echo in here...in here...in here...in h....

Mod edit: There was a double post, now removed. Echos? Not in my watch! Not in my watch!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

A lot of work to do there. The bodywork around the upper wishbone front leg is damaged suggesting the suspension or even gearbox are damaged too, as well as the rear wing etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

mantikos wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:43
GrandAxe wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:40
JPBD1990 wrote:

Perhaps there's an echo in here...in here...in here...in h....
Heheh! I'm as surprised at the double post as you. I think its a bug in the forum software, double posting shouldn't be possible.

siskue2005

WOW...people are wetting themselves with just 1 and half days of testing? and heralding the rebirth of the Messiah? :D
All Aboard :lol: :lol:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

thestig84 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:28
mantikos wrote:
Wynters wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 15:17

"The car is where the car is and the driver's can't make up for much."

I assume he's trolling. They may well not have the fastest car, but I suspect it's unlikely that Bottas and Hamilton were ringing the neck of the car on Day 1.
Anderson is also a moron - especially if he thinks all out Bottas and HAM can get the same out the car, then why aren't they rated the same and get paid the same? There are levels within drivers, for sure, and they can use the same equipment and get different times. If times are consistent between different drivers, AND significantly slower than others, then it only means they are driving to a delta to study the effects of a heavy full tank car on the new tires.
Totally agree. I cant believe people are still listening to Anderson. Utter rubbish, that is all he ever spouts!
Based on Anderson's logic, the McLaren is the car to take the fight to Ferrari this year. They're only 0.3s behind in testing so that must be what the car can do! :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

siskue2005

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:59
thestig84 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:28
mantikos wrote:

Based on Anderson's logic, the McLaren is the car to take the fight to Ferrari this year. They're only 0.3s behind in testing so that must be what the car can do! :lol:
This guy is utter crap....he even commentated in Starsports for few years and it was really funny to here him during the race.

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

GPR-A

Bottas' last stint on C3.

One aborted fast lap.
1m19.535
1m21.166
1m21.249
1m21.611
1m22.347
1m22.955
1m23.499
1m24.659
1m23.082
1m24.215
1m23.285
1m23.446

dren

I think Anderson is more for entertainment than anything. You'd think he would know what he is talking about based on his past experience in the sport.
Honda!