F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Marble
Marble

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Some stints posted there, including Hulk's race distance :

https://blog.autoplus.fr/moncet/2019/02 ... ernaux-j2/

KiLLu12258
KiLLu12258

Juzh wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 20:53
Artur Craft wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 20:29
Phil wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 13:18
Were they? As far as i remember, the conclusion was that Ferrari looked fast and that Haas was best of the rest. Turned out to be spot on, once you disregard that Melbourne is anything but a conclusive track.
last year everybody was saying(I guess including you. You just don't remember) that Merc was so much ahead of Ferrari(because of race sims), and Melbourne confirmed that but that was a different story on other tracks.
Ferrari had new floor for bahrain which was a major upgrade.
mercedes set those times with mediums, and with this tyres there were unbeatable. After Melbourne they had a lot of tyre problems which cost them a lot of pace.

DiogoBrand

I really don't get all the fuss about Ferrari. 3 tenths ahead of McLaren isn't anything to be impressed with when you're trying to beat a team that has won 10 out of 10 championships over the last five years.

To me Mercedes are still clear favourites, even if Ferrari built a beast of a car, unless Charles turns out to be the best driver on the grid, Mercedes still has the better driver. Not to mention that even though they may have had the better car at the start of last season, Lewis still finished the year 88 points ahead of Sebastian.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Mercedes long runs look better then Ferrari
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Unf

DiogoBrand wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 21:25
I really don't get all the fuss about Ferrari. 3 tenths ahead of McLaren isn't anything to be impressed with when you're trying to beat a team that has won 10 out of 10 championships over the last five years.
It shows how much pace Ferrari still have in the pocket if Mclaren is 3 tenths behind :)

LeClerc

DiogoBrand wrote:

To me Mercedes are still clear favourites, even if Ferrari built a beast of a car, unless Charles turns out to be the best driver on the grid, Mercedes still has the better driver. Not to mention that even though they may have had the better car at the start of last season, Lewis still finished the year 88 points ahead of Sebastian.
I think it's safe to say none of the heavy hitters have turned up the wick yet.

Maybe after Thursday we'll be a bit wiser.
It is I, LeClerc!

DiogoBrand

Unf wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 21:33
DiogoBrand wrote:
It shows how much pace Ferrari still have in the pocket if Mclaren is 3 tenths behind :)
Yes, and so does everyone else.

dans79

LeClerc wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 21:35

Today, Mercedes Indirectly said they won't do it till next week.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/913294/1/ ... econd-test
“The car was trouble-free all day and we added to the knowledge about the tyres and the car that we started to acquire yesterday,” Allison said. “This permits us to build a foundation for the second test where all the interesting running will take place.

“We’re just two days in, but already a quarter of the way through the precious days of winter testing. Today was another very useful day for us, accumulating a lot of miles, proving out a lot of components and testing with both drivers several set-up avenues.”
201 105 104 9 9 7

f1316
f1316

I really don’t think we should start trying to analyse these long runs as if they’re race sims.

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 21:39
LeClerc wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 21:35

Today, Mercedes Indirectly said they won't do it till next week.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/913294/1/ ... econd-test
“The car was trouble-free all day and we added to the knowledge about the tyres and the car that we started to acquire yesterday,” Allison said. “This permits us to build a foundation for the second test where all the interesting running will take place.

“We’re just two days in, but already a quarter of the way through the precious days of winter testing. Today was another very useful day for us, accumulating a lot of miles, proving out a lot of components and testing with both drivers several set-up avenues.”
That's exactly how I interpreted that as well.

Unf

DiogoBrand wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 21:37
Unf wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 21:33
Yes, and so does everyone else.
By the way - Mclaren's time has been done on C4 tyres - softer than Ferrari's C3.

Shrieker

Merc's front wing looks noticeably higher from the ground than other cars, due to (lack off) .. rake, probably ? I mean teams like Renault and Red Bull have their front wing edges almost scraping the ground, quite clearly visible from side shots - especially in high speed corners, but not limited to them. Also their front wings come very close to the ground under braking too.

Will this not offer these teams an advantage since their front wings take advantage of the ground effect better ? Are merc missing out here ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

mantikos
mantikos

Shrieker wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:08
Merc's front wing looks noticeably higher from the ground than other cars, due to (lack off) .. rake, probably ? I mean teams like Renault and Red Bull have their front wing edges almost scraping the ground, quite clearly visible from side shots - especially in high speed corners, but not limited to them. And also their front wings come very close to the ground under braking too.

Will this not offer these teams an advantage since their front wings take advantage of the ground effect better ? Are merc missing out here ?
I commented on the Ferrari car thread; going by a shot of both cars through the same corner it appears that the rear ride height is similar between both (and wheelbase comparable) - the Merc is just running more front ride height.

Big Tea

just refresh my (failing) memory please guys, do todays engines count to the years allowance?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

bauc

Big Tea wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:15
just refresh my (failing) memory please guys, do todays engines count to the years allowance?
nope, its free for all in testing, use as much as you want
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg