F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

bauc wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:16
Big Tea wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:15
just refresh my (failing) memory please guys, do todays engines count to the years allowance?
nope, its free for all in testing, use as much as you want
Thanks
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

I guess asking about Williams lap times might sound particularly cruel. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Marti_EF3

Few videos with some track action I recorded this afternoon =P~

Big Tea

GrandAxe wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:18
I guess asking about Williams lap times might sound particularly cruel. :twisted: :mrgreen:
They have been...consistent through out
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Big Tea wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:22
GrandAxe wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:18
They have been...consistent through out
"Alarmingly" consistent.

PhillipM
PhillipM

To be fair, their long run tyre wear is amazing.

CriXus
CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

DiogoBrand

Shrieker wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:08
Merc's front wing looks noticeably higher from the ground than other cars, due to (lack off) .. rake, probably ? I mean teams like Renault and Red Bull have their front wing edges almost scraping the ground, quite clearly visible from side shots - especially in high speed corners, but not limited to them. Also their front wings come very close to the ground under braking too.

Will this not offer these teams an advantage since their front wings take advantage of the ground effect better ? Are merc missing out here ?
As with everythin in Formula One, it's a matter of compromise. Back when Red bull, McLaren and Ferrari used to run really high rake angles, Mercedes usually ran a much shallower angle. A higher angle will make the floor, as well as the front wing produce more downforce, but will also compromise the suspension setup, make it more difficult to seal the floor and make for an overall more sensitive car in terms of aerodynamics.

The same goes for the higher front wing. It will make you lose downforce, but probably will also let you run softer suspension to get some mechanical grip back, and will likely make the downforce more consistent and less sensitive to ride height.

DrDejan
DrDejan

Based on the lap count and past years experience, Ferrari and Mercedes are in a league of their own. Red Bull are doing too many installation laps, reminds me of McLaren-Honda days.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

bauc wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:16
Big Tea wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:15
just refresh my (failing) memory please guys, do todays engines count to the years allowance?
nope, its free for all in testing, use as much as you want
McLaren would have started a couple of the last few Australian Grand Prix at the back of the grid if the engines counted from testing.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Shrieker wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:08
Merc's front wing looks noticeably higher from the ground than other cars, due to (lack off) .. rake, probably ? I mean teams like Renault and Red Bull have their front wing edges almost scraping the ground, quite clearly visible from side shots - especially in high speed corners, but not limited to them. Also their front wings come very close to the ground under braking too.

Will this not offer these teams an advantage since their front wings take advantage of the ground effect better ? Are merc missing out here ?
It's a compromise. Running the wing closer to the ground can get you more downforce but if you get too close, the wing can stall and you lose some/all of the downforce until the wing lifts and unstalls. This can lead to porpoising. It can also lead to the situation where the driver isn't quite sure what he's going to get from the front wing at any particular moment. Driver confidence is the single biggest factor in extracting lap time from the car as it's his confidence that allows him to push out those last tenths that make the difference.

Running slightly higher means you don't get quite the same amount of change. You can easily add a bit of flap angle / overall camber to give the same total downforce peak as the low wing without too much issue, so long as you've designed your overall package with that in mind.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It will be interesting to see whether the Ferrari/Alfa solution works better/worse than the Mercedes (and RedBull) solution when it comes to running close to other cars. That alone might make a given solution worth pursuing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

201 105 104 9 9 7

MtthsMlw

dans79 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:59
Now this is some BS.

https://twitter.com/Vetteleclerc/status ... 5087333376
Ahh yes, the good old body language #-o