F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Replacing my Daniel troll post with this... Cause I don't know how to delete a post, if possible. Claire seems upbeat but must be feeling the pressure.
Last edited by Jester Maroc on 20 Feb 2019, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Sierra117

I mean I get you need to "fill in" during the commentary, a common requirement in commentary for any sport/event, but at least not say things that you know from your experience are clearly incorrect. Please someone bring back Di Resta and Anthony. At least they say clear disclaimers when speaking something that might be this or that.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

dans79

FMP wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:36
I have been thinking about it for a while. Even if you're not allowed to share data on parts that you must hold the intellectual property for, my feeling is that Ferrari aligned teams (Sauber/Haas) are not going to share data with Ferrari whereas Toro Rosso does that for Red Bull. And this is pure speculation from my side. I would like to throw this out there just so we could see if anyone found information confirming or denying it? Not just feelings but interviews etc.
sharing data would be against the sporting regulations I believe!
201 105 104 9 9 7

Sierra117

Tzk wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:39
GPR -A wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:34
Some of these old generations drivers like Martin Brundle and Johnny Herberet have been morphed into stupid show presenters and nothing more. When there is Anthony Davidson, Paul Di Resta and to some extent Karun Chandhok, you hear at least something interesting. People like Crofty, Ted et al, bore you to death.
I'd like to add Nico Rosberg and Timo Glock to that list. Those two are the experts on german tv (RTL). Both can give interesting insights on how and why things happen. The rest of the presenters are just like you expect them to be, they usually prefer the car with the prettiest colors :D

But still, this is also a matter of targeting the audience. On RTL they explain literally every race what an undercut is. Somepoint in 2018 they found out what an overcut is and thus, are now explaining both every damn race #-o
Don't worry, Sky explains undercut, overcut, tyres, compounds, drag, DRS and anything else every race :D which is fine, I am totally okay with it and it should be done. But the rest of the chat about standardising things in F1 and other absurdities gets old real quick.
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

Jester Maroc wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:43
Can someone confirm this? How is Dan so fast?
https://i.redd.it/xclc0yyo8qh21.jpg
Must have been a troll post..Sorry guys!
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

dans79

FMP wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:36
I have been thinking about it for a while. Even if you're not allowed to share data on parts that you must hold the intellectual property for, my feeling is that Ferrari aligned teams (Sauber/Haas) are not going to share data with Ferrari whereas Toro Rosso does that for Red Bull. And this is pure speculation from my side. I would like to throw this out there just so we could see if anyone found information confirming or denying it? Not just feelings but interviews etc.
Update it is definitely against the sporting regulations.
7.1 No competitor may use movement of personnel involved in the development, design or
testing of aerodynamic surfaces (whether employee, consultant, contractor, secondee or any
other type of permanent or temporary personnel) with another competitor, either directly or
via an external entity, for the purpose of circumventing the requirements of this Appendix. In
order that the FIA may be satisfied that any such movement of staff is compliant with this
Appendix, each competitor must inform the FIA of all relevant staff movements at the end of
each ATP using the template which may be found in the Appendix to these Regulation and
must demonstrate that they have implemented all reasonable measures to avoid the
disclosure of information, data or design between the involved competitors.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Mandrake
Mandrake

SiLo wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 13:51
Pretty sure GPS data is not enabled during testing so not sure what data they are using.
Even if they had GPS data....if Mercedes is taking it easy, of course it would look slower on GPS. So basing comments on GPS data of cars not going flat out is really stupid :D

Shrieker

McLaren adopting the strategy of dropping parts to reduce weight mid run :D
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Jambier

Mandrake wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:54
SiLo wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 13:51
Pretty sure GPS data is not enabled during testing so not sure what data they are using.
Even if they had GPS data....if Mercedes is taking it easy, of course it would look slower on GPS. So basing comments on GPS data of cars not going flat out is really stupid :D
That does not prevent Horner to declare:

- Merc is 0.5s behind Ferrari
- RB is in front of Merc, and will fight with Ferrari

The Engineer
The Engineer

Shrieker wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:56
McLaren adopting the strategy of dropping parts to reduce weight mid run :D
The barge boards look fragile! It has happened twice now from running over kerbs.

siskue2005

Noticed this on all cars....the tyre look Extra Shiny as Mirror when they are fitted....it was never like this before in Pirelli era.... Are they treating the tyre with some chemicals this year? I remember seeing this in Ferrari Bridgestone era?

Those are chemically treated to give...please correct me if i am wrong

F1NAC

siskue2005 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 16:03
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz2iep6X4AElYVh.jpg

Noticed this on all cars....the tyre look Extra Shiny as Mirror when they are fitted....it was never like this before in Pirelli era.... Are they treating the tyre with some chemicals this year? I remember seeing this in Ferrari Bridgestone era?

Pirelli is using chrome mould that gives this look. No effect on performance

Sierra117

I'm a bit surprised why Ferrari are using Merc-style rims when they haven't really had trouble with the rear end of the car. They have rake and generally a really planted, glued rear-end so ... dunno.
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

siskue2005

F1NAC wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 16:04
siskue2005 wrote:

damn i had hoped for some tyre war kind of innovations...lol
Is it new this year...what is its benefit?

Morteza

siskue2005 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 16:06
F1NAC wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 16:04
siskue2005 wrote:

damn i had hoped for some tyre war kind of innovations...lol
Is it new this year...what is its benefit?
It is new for this year, yes. And here's why
Mario Isola wrote:"The reason why we introduced this technology is because the hypersoft last year and the C4/C5 [softest 2019 compounds], are very sticky and, when you vulcanise and cook the tyre, it is difficult for the mould sometime.

"You see small imperfections on the tread because of this adhesion between the compound and the moulds. With the new moulds, they are a lot better.

"They look nicer, in terms of technology it is better but the specification is the same that we used in Abu Dhabi [test] last year."
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare