F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Capharol
Capharol

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Hamerhaai wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:14
No need for SpeeDemon as it is all done for you here:
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... stest-laps

And if you could add 0.7sec to each compound, the sequence would be as follows (after three days, top driver of each team):
Ferrari
Red Bull
Renault
Haas
Toro Rosso
Alfa Romeo
McLaren
Mercedes
RacingPoint
Williams
which isn't accurate aswell because Mercedes definetly isn't slower as McLaren, Toro Rosso, Haas or Renault.
Again don't get hungup on those laptimes during testing (at least not this week), teams are trying out and not interested in any laptimes for now

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

Capharol wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:37
TimmTurbo wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:27
F1TV Quote: Johnny Herbert "bumped" into another bloke in the bathroom (whatever this means). He reportedly told him that RB sees themselves in front of Merc and slightly behind Ferrari.
this wasn't some bloke in the bathroom, it was Horner himself saying "he sees a fight between Ferrari v Red Bull and not Ferrari v Mercedes.

I even postet an article here from AMuS where it is writen
viewtopic.php?p=814440#p814440
Okay even if he ran into Horner. I have seen neither RB nor Ferrari ahead of Merc on their race sims so far.

nevill3

SpeeDemon wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:01
I just calculated the top mileage racking teams :

Merc : 495 Laps
Ferrari : 460
Renault : 375
Alfa : 353
STR : 346
RB: 329
Mclaren : 313

I have just done a quick calculation for last years Aus GP and teams did about 156 laps over the entire weekend and about 160 laps over the Spanish weekend so Mercedes and Ferrari have covered about three race weekends so far.

If they are using just the one power unit then to simulate it's expected season long life span they would need to do the whole of winter testing on the one power unit. If they manage this they should be have more confidence in their power units.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Phil

TimmTurbo wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:43
Capharol wrote:
TimmTurbo wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:27
F1TV Quote: Johnny Herbert "bumped" into another bloke in the bathroom (whatever this means). He reportedly told him that RB sees themselves in front of Merc and slightly behind Ferrari.
this wasn't some bloke in the bathroom, it was Horner himself saying "he sees a fight between Ferrari v Red Bull and not Ferrari v Mercedes.

Okay even if he ran into Horner. I have seen neither RB nor Ferrari ahead of Merc on their race sims so far.
You are aware though that the teams know way more than we do, right?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

nevill3

Why would Toto be heading back to the Factory because they are half a second behind their rivals, he is not a designer or engineer responsible for this "concept" so surely a phone call or internet link would be enough for him to get the ball rolling to address any supposed shortcoming
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Hamerhaai
Hamerhaai

Capharol wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:42
Hamerhaai wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:14
No need for SpeeDemon as it is all done for you here:
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... stest-laps

And if you could add 0.7sec to each compound, the sequence would be as follows (after three days, top driver of each team):
Ferrari
Red Bull
Renault
Haas
Toro Rosso
Alfa Romeo
McLaren
Mercedes
RacingPoint
Williams
which isn't accurate aswell because Mercedes definetly isn't slower as McLaren, Toro Rosso, Haas or Renault.
Again don't get hungup on those laptimes during testing (at least not this week), teams are trying out and not interested in any laptimes for now
I know, however, if you’d put Mercedes up due sandbagging it would make sense. Just an extra view :)

Besides, don’t know if the 0.7 is accurate. Might as well be C3 <0.8> C4 <0.5> C5. Just speculative.

Artur Craft

Bill_Kar wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 10:39
Artur Craft wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 00:59
On this specific point I think Merc, and RB, opted for the better solution. I still think this Ferrari/Alfa solution is not the right solution
Why Do you think so?
I don't think they(Ferrari/Alfa) are generating enough outwash to make it worthwhile
Tzk wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 12:38
FrukostScones wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 12:34
1.18.800 HUL without DRS C4....
Yep, considering that DRS gives you about half a second laptime...
DRS probably gives around double of that, imo. But the C4 tyre makes the time not that much impressive

Phil

nevill3 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:52
Why would Toto be heading back to the Factory because they are half a second behind their rivals, he is not a designer or engineer responsible for this "concept" so surely a phone call or internet link would be enough for him to get the ball rolling to address any supposed shortcoming
Assuming the info that he left is accurate, why else would he have left? Holiday?

Also, why would this stuff be made up? Is it that hard to consider the possibility that maybe Mercedes got it wrong?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Capharol
Capharol

Phil wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:57
nevill3 wrote:
Assuming the info that he left is accurate, why else would he have left? Holiday?

Also, why would this stuff be made up? Is it that hard to consider the possibility that maybe Mercedes got it wrong?
or maybe it's something personal?

F1Krof

Phil wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:57
nevill3 wrote:

Definitely they've got it wrong this time.

Toto is going back to hold an emergency meeting. They have a picture, and it's ugly. They want to go and decide what to do next, push and play catch up? Or change the concept and hope for 2020. Either way they really seem they're in bad shape (relatively speaking). And yes, word around is that Red Bull is faster than Merc, and slower than Ferrari on straights, equal in high speed corners and faster on low speed corners.

All this based on track-side gossip and speculation, with a degree of truthiness relying on on-track observation.
Wroom wroom

Phil

Still, why would someone make it up? Because mighty Mercedes is beyond failure? I am a huge Mercedes/Hamilton fan, but i am not taking their success for granted. Especially with such a regulation change and seeing that they and their most direct competitors have gone different route might suggest that maybe they are behind indeed. I dont get the logic in dismissing these possibilities entirely.

If anything, i’m assuming Toto to be a man to take any slight chance of them being behind very serious. So serious that i wouldnt put it behind him for a second not to leave and go back to the factory for a personal hands on take.
#Team44 supporter

Schuttelberg

Phil wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:50
TimmTurbo wrote:
Capharol wrote:

Yes, last year the same Red Bull team was saying it's between them and Mercedes.

It's just testing. Lewis and Sebastian's comments are the most balanced and positive.

I wouldn't trust a word that comes out of the mouth of that snake Toto or Helmut Marko.

Watching this sport since 1994 and all I can say is, it looks like it'll be much like 2017 & 2018. It's Merc/Ferrari/RBR. One of those three will win the title. Williams, RP and Haas look like a struggle. The remainder will haggle over the middle spots.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

Phil wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:50
TimmTurbo wrote:
Capharol wrote:

Oh yes I am aware of that, but im also aware that those in the teams allowed to talk to the media know exactly how to deal with them even while taking a whizz. Team principals especially :lol:
Last edited by TimmTurbo on 20 Feb 2019, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

Schuttelberg

Phil wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 23:08
Still, why would someone make it up? Because mighty Mercedes is beyond failure? I am a huge Mercedes/Hamilton fan, but i am not taking their success for granted. Especially with such a regulation change and seeing that they and their most direct competitors have gone different route might suggest that maybe they are behind indeed. I dont get the logic in dismissing these possibilities entirely.

If anything, i’m assuming Toto to be a man to take any slight chance of them being behind very serious. So serious that i wouldnt put it behind him for a second not to leave and go back to the factory for a personal hands on take.
Yes, this same guy was telling us how close Ferrari and RBR are from 2014-16. It's okay to be cautious, quite another to troll hardcore motorsport fans who love the sport. If the Ferrari was faster and Toto was certain about it, he would be making daft insinuations about them being cheats, like he did mid 2018.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"