F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
_cerber1

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Is there information on maximum speed?

syntaxerror147
syntaxerror147

JPBD1990 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 09:21
The merc is ending race sims into the 1:19’s, where the Ferrari is ending in the 1:21’s.

I think this is too large a discrepancy to be raw pace (fancy that) but it certainly demonstrates that mercedes is waaayyyyy more in this than the media, and Toto, are reporting.
Sorry to say, but you're wrong. The 1:19s are the times of 2018. Thats what the caption says.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

All this talk of Ferrari being ahead, on what basis? For the first two days they did not do race sims like Mercedes is doing so their times are not comparable. Yesterday they did a race sim and their times are not as good as Mercedes. To be honest, I'd say Mercedes is ahead of Ferrari at least in race pace.

Vasconia

According to this article Williams could be 2 seconds slower than its competitors, I do hope this is totally false.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ycfAe0FwPU

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 09:32
All this talk of Ferrari being ahead, on what basis? For the first two days they did not do race sims like Mercedes is doing so their times are not comparable. Yesterday they did a race sim and their times are not as good as Mercedes. To be honest, I'd say Mercedes is ahead of Ferrari at least in race pace.
I don`t get it either. Media and Teammember statements get worse from year to year......

Tzk
Tzk

AMuS is reporting that Toto actually admitted that Ferrari may be in front:
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... f-ferrari/

Let's see if that's just him playing down the mercs (or not) :D

German:
Die offizielle Sprachregelung im Team schiebt Ferrari die klare Favoritenrolle zu: „Das Bild baut sich langsam auf. Ferrari ist schneller auf eine Runde, konstanter und unglaublich zuverlässig. Das stellt uns vor eine große Herausforderung. Wir müssen uns zurückkämpfen. Das allein wird die Motivation im Team hoch halten.“ Der neue Ferrari-Teamchef Mattia Binotto warnt: „Mercedes ist gut im Lösen von Problemen. Sollten sie Rückstand haben, holen sie sicher schnell auf.“
English:
Toto: "Slowly we get an idea of what's going on. Ferrari is faster over a single lap, laptimes are somewhat constant, reliability is great. This is a huge task and we gotta fight back. This will hopefully keep the motivtion on the team high." Binotto says: „The Mercs are great solvers of problems and issues. If we're ahead, they'll probably catch us fast.“
Toto also suggested that they to an aero package ready for next week and he assumes Ferrari does too. Also Marko suggested that the RB isn't looking like it will in Melbourne. So we can expect a full Aero package of all three teams till the season starts.

syntaxerror147
syntaxerror147

Tzk wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 09:45

German:
Die offizielle Sprachregelung im Team schiebt Ferrari die klare Favoritenrolle zu: „Das Bild baut sich langsam auf. Ferrari ist schneller auf eine Runde, konstanter und unglaublich zuverlässig. Das stellt uns vor eine große Herausforderung. Wir müssen uns zurückkämpfen. Das allein wird die Motivation im Team hoch halten.“ Der neue Ferrari-Teamchef Mattia Binotto warnt: „Mercedes ist gut im Lösen von Problemen. Sollten sie Rückstand haben, holen sie sicher schnell auf.“
English:
Toto: "Slowly we get an idea of what's going on. Ferrari is faster over a single lap, laptimes are somewhat constant, reliability is great. This is a huge task and we gotta fight back. This will hopefully keep the motivtion on the team high." Binotto says: „The Mercs are great solvers of problems and issues. If we're ahead, they'll probably catch us fast.“
I don't think that is anything new for Toto. So even if he said that, you shouldn't take this to seriously. At the point of constant laptimes he had me laughing :D Their laptimes were super constant, they did 2 race distances. What is that guy talking about :oops:

Vasconia

Tzk wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 09:45

German:
English:
Toto also suggested that they to an aero package ready for next week and he assumes Ferrari does too. Also Marko suggested that the RB isn't looking like it will in Melbourne. So we can expect a full Aero package of all three teams till the season starts.
Updated aeropackages are something usual as it is this statement from Toto. I don´t believe a Word of what he says.

Tzk
Tzk

I feel the same. Just didn't want to mix this up with my (biased) view... I also call this rubbish talk. The mercs were also "slow" in last years testing while ferrari went faster. We already know how it ended up...

ferkan
ferkan

JPBD1990 wrote:
The merc is ending race sims into the 1:19’s, where the Ferrari is ending in the 1:21’s.

I think this is too large a discrepancy to be raw pace (fancy that) but it certainly demonstrates that mercedes is waaayyyyy more in this than the media, and Toto, are reporting.
These are 2018 times.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Toto also said, before a wheel was turned that every team, including Williams was a threat. He can be a bit dramatic, which everybody should be used to by now. At this stage, the only indication of whether a team is in trouble or not is with reliability. Both look solid, so....
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

ferkan wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 10:02
JPBD1990 wrote:

These are 2018 times.
Thanks! What a dumb moment haha.
Does anyone know how they stack up to 2019? I can see Mercedes is slower in race trim than ‘18, is that consistent across cars?

Fede90
Fede90

DiogoBrand wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 02:18
Chuckjr wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 02:13
Cannot believe the looking into lap times. This is incredible the work being put into fantasy.

Let me make it easy--nobody is showing their hand. Nobody. Nobody is pushing the car in full engine settings. It's just not happening. No team knows their car well enough yet to be able to pull out of the car what it has, so even if they wanted to, they couldn't. So nothing is even close to being done or revealed. Not to mention the parts to come.

Team owners are lying to the press. It's standard. They do it every year. The press is making up stories from fantasy times that they make into some kind of story. It's all BS. It's the same every year.

We are seeing what we want to see. Reliability from the power units and cars that are not losing pieces down the straight. This is what we are learning right now as observers and it's great.

So don't worry...Ferrari, Marc, Red Bull....they all will be at the sharp end this year.

Finally, I hope Perez gives Stroll an absolute beat down every single race.
It's okay to see uninformed people on the internet talking crap, but when you see someone that gets paid to talk about F1 say "Ferrari are clear favorites" or "Mercedes has lost its magic" it just makes me mad about how people can get paid to insult everyone's intelligence.
Oh god, finally...i think the same thing. Is just an insult read every pre-season the same empy words of teams (most of Mercedes) about who is faster, who will be the favourite, etc.

Big Mangalhit

"the mercedes car this year is performing much worse than expected. It is at best the third best car and much slower than Ferrari and the Red Bull" - Toto Wolf probably ( every year between 2015-2019)

SiLo

JPBD1990 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 10:07
ferkan wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 10:02
JPBD1990 wrote:

These are 2018 times.
Thanks! What a dumb moment haha.
Does anyone know how they stack up to 2019? I can see Mercedes is slower in race trim than ‘18, is that consistent across cars?
If you look at the race sims Mercedes are again seemingly faster Ferrari. Notice Toto mentioned that they are "faster over one lap".
Felipe Baby!