F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Schuttelberg

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Phil wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 00:03
Schuttelberg wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 23:13
Yes, this same guy was telling us how close Ferrari and RBR are from 2014-16. It's okay to be cautious, quite another to troll hardcore motorsport fans who love the sport. If the Ferrari was faster and Toto was certain about it, he would be making daft insinuations about them being cheats, like he did mid 2018.
But it hasn't been that same guy talking. This has been the 'gist' by other teams. Like it or not, many credible journalists who are actually at pre-testing right now talk to the teams. They have their contacts, they pick up on things. Some things more subtle than others, but nevertheless, a picture forms.

We know for a fact that these new front-wings have triggered a major change and rethink. What worked in 2017 and 2018 likely doesn't apply in 2019 anymore. That's a fact.

There are different philosophies at play here. For one, we have high-rake vs low-rake. There have been concerns that high-rake might be problematic because the new front-wing regs make it more difficult to seal the floor. In theory, this should have helped Mercedes. Yet, from the concepts we are seeing on the Ferrari and AlfaRomeo, it seems that they at least have found a way to make it work.

Mercedes have clearly gone the other way. They have retained the low-rake concept and their front-wing follows that concept. 2018 was extremely close between them, Ferrari and RedBull. It is only reasonable to expect that this year with closer engine parity, getting the aero right will be crucial.

Some might think Mercedes is just playing games. Maybe they are, and if true, then perhaps they are playing it brilliantly. But from where I am sitting, I do have my doubts. Ferrari looks very confident so far. I'm not taking it for granted that Mercedes will ace another year with their car. Every time there is such a regulation change, there's a chance that a team gets something right that everyone else gets wrong. Missing a tick so to speak. It's possible. And if true, as I said, I expect Toto to be the kind of man to take matters into his own hands and take such things very seriously. A championship is at stake.

The level of denial in this topic at the sheer possibility that Mercedes may have got something wrong [vs Ferrari or RedBull] to me shows that some fans are actually worried and therefore ready to downplay anything that hints at that at being comical, absurd or blatant spam. Think again. :oops:
Have you heard a story called 'the boy who cried WOLF?' Pun intended.

When you constantly insult the intelligence of pundits and fans alike, you kind of become untrustworthy. What you said in an elaborate post is possible, but when Toto says it, it sounds insincere and I am using this word because I can't swear.

As I said in an earlier post as well- It's going to come down to one of the top three teams and considering the rule change is not so massive, by the time we get to Europe they will be fighting for wins over details. If anything, I feel it will be Mercedes vs Ferrari with the Bulls playing catch up. If I had to choose one, I would choose the Merc because of the continuity, the absence of fear of winning, better operations and a Hamilton high on confidence compared to a pretty crestfallen Vettel of 2018. Ferrari have also had two major personnel changes while Mercedes are basically fine tuning stuff.

Anyone who believes anything else other than Mercedes being favourites to win the titles is trolling the public or running the same PR tirade that Wolff runs.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

motobaleno

10:15 Mercedes technical chief James Allison said last night the team would "focus a little bit more on performance"

The Engineer
The Engineer

I really love all the guesswork done on here and the speculation, but anyone who has developed anything knows that all you want initially is to know your theories are correct and understand what happens and when. Merc will have obtained their baselines now and data will be sent back to the factory and tweaks will be made for the next test once they know which direction to move in. The same with Ferrari and RB, they just set their baselines at a different point. You will also find it will be similar to last year or the year before, it's obtaining representative data, same fuel loads, same engine loads etc, it allows them to spot improvements or weaknesses when they overlay the data.

We may see some quicker times today, but i doubt we will see anything near the true pace of the cars until Melbourne, what they may do is run a high engine mode with high fuel and then a low mode with low fuel, this will allow the team to work out the pace with fuel removed. It will also allow the drivers to see how the car is on low fuel without giving away the true pace.

SiLo

The interesting bit here from Autosport:
09:33 Both the Mercedes and the Ferrari are on the white-marked C2 tyres, and Hamilton managed the fastest second sector of anyone on his outlap.
I reckon come Australia it will be super close between the top teams like it usually is.
Felipe Baby!

motobaleno

LECLERC C2
OUT
IN
after pitting he went out shortly after apparently without refueling but not sure of this.

Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

Graining in the cold looks serious.
https://twitter.com/RacecarEngineer/sta ... 7960175619
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

motobaleno

HAM: C3
OUT
IN

ferkan
ferkan

SiLo wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 11:46
09:33 Both the Mercedes and the Ferrari are on the white-marked C2 tyres, and Hamilton managed the fastest second sector of anyone on his outlap.
I reckon come Australia it will be super close between the top teams like it usually is.
I think this was a mistake from AS. His PB was still one from previous lap.

SiLo

ferkan wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 11:53
SiLo wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 11:46
I think this was a mistake from AS. His PB was still one from previous lap.
Thanks for pointing that out ferkan.
Felipe Baby!

matt_b
matt_b

Looking close between the big boys but surprised mercedes have picked the coldest day to start pushing.

dans79

What a difference a day makes!
201 105 104 9 9 7

dans79

matt_b wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 12:20
Looking close between the big boys but surprised mercedes have picked the coldest day to start pushing.
Might be testing their tire heating and cooling configs!
201 105 104 9 9 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

They're still not fast laps though compared to what has been done this week. I'd expect the "big boys" to be doing 16s, not mid 18s.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Lewis on it right now

Last edited by NathanOlder on 21 Feb 2019, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 12:23
They're still not fast laps though compared to what has been done this week. I'd expect the "big boys" to be doing 16s, not mid 18s.
Different day, different conditions!
201 105 104 9 9 7