2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marti_EF3

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Wouter

Capharol wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 17:09
@wouter
"After discussing the result of the joint test of Barcelona, ​​we will talk about the opening game.
I think they are going to discuss before the Melbourne race if they are going to use 3 or 5 engines this season.
If they start using 5, they can continue to develop and upgrade more often. That is the way I read the article.
They will start with this spec in Melbourne, with a small adjustment.
The Power of Dreams!

Capharol
Capharol

Wouter wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 18:03
Capharol wrote:
@wouter
"After discussing the result of the joint test of Barcelona, ​​we will talk about the opening game.
I think they are going to discuss before the Melbourne race if they are going to use 3 or 5 engines this season.
If they start using 5, they can continue to develop and upgrade more often. That is the way I read the article.
this will be discussed AFTER Barcelona, meaning go agressive or conservative, Honda would like to go conservative=realibillty (as i read it) and RB wants to go agressive (power)

Juzh

PhillipM wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 00:06
The rear wings are more efficient than last year, so if they run the same downforce they'd do it with less drag on the wing, if they're running more RW downforce they can still mitigate it with the larger DRS openings.
how so? Because they're higher up? Lots of drag reducing elements on the RW got banned this year.

PhillipM
PhillipM

And wider.

muramasa
muramasa

Capharol wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 18:11
Wouter wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 18:03
Capharol wrote:
@wouter

this will be discussed AFTER Barcelona, meaning go agressive or conservative, Honda would like to go conservative=realibillty (as i read it) and RB wants to go agressive (power)
It's not simple and clear left or right or black or white like 3 or 5 or aggressive or conservative. And this "If they start using 5, they can continue to develop and upgrade more often. That is the way I read the article." is just so wrong, nowhere in the article and quote can be interpreted in such way at all. What Tanabe and Yamamoto have been saying is that you cannot know how the PU behaves in real environment, whether going aggressive yield more power or not, extent of trade-off between power/performance and reliability etc until and unless you actually run it on track so testing is about exploring limits, see where the limit is etc so cannot know/tell anything at all until testing is over and analyzing is done, as it always is. Honda is prepared to and actually likes to go aggressive but it depends on the outcome of test. Meanwhile teams should not tolerate if PU breaks too often and hinders running. So it's about this subtle balance and calculation/strategy.

muramasa
muramasa

Yesterday (3rd day of the test, Wednesday)

- They originally planned to use single PU for all 4 days in order to conduct durability validation but changed to new unit for Wed due to the crash on Tuesday
- PU on Red Bull had minor issues in the morning which is the reason for less run in the morning session but fixed for the rest of the day
- Have plan for later days to use PU on performance side, to run it at max power, but for the moment there are just so many things to check/verify/validate
- (on STR's fastest time) (Tanabe) heard from the team that that time was not squeezed forcibly like going light on fuel etc, but set spontaneously in the series of process. So maybe we can be pleased about it.

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/454549?all
https://www.as-web.jp/f1/454161?all

Marti_EF3

What the hell is this thing??? :shock:

Some discussion about it in the RB15 thread. I read something that suggested it was to help stabilize the RW mount. That seems like another plausible idea.

etusch

ispano6

Marti_EF3 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 19:29
What the hell is this thing??? :shock:
Those are overalls for RB15s lederhosen.

Marti_EF3

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Is this about right?

4 x the amount of data for Honda in 2019 testing 1 as compared to last year?

godlameroso

You can see the difference there isn't in chassis or one lap pace rather the Honda falls flat as the laps wear on, where Leclerc takes one lap to recharge the batteries and has steady pace, Gasly's car has a dip in power before leveling out. Of course this is just testing, and that's just 1 run among many, so just speculation on my part.
Saishū kōnā

Capharol
Capharol

godlameroso wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 01:51
You can see the difference there isn't in chassis or one lap pace rather the Honda falls flat as the laps wear on, where Leclerc takes one lap to recharge the batteries and has steady pace, Gasly's car has a dip in power before leveling out. Of course this is just testing, and that's just 1 run among many, so just speculation on my part.
sorry but those numbers aren't really mean anything, we don't know the Programm they run, we don't know the fuel load.
We just see numbers and start speculating ….. the only fact in this are the laptimes which are useless as long as we don't know a crucial 2nd fact