2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Not to be pedantic but it was BAR in 2005 with the extra fuel tank. The team wasn't controlled by Honda until Sept 2005 so I'm not sure how much they had to do with the chassis/fuel tank.

That said, if a team or PU manufacturer isn't trying to exploit the loopholes/grey areas they aren't doing their job and will quickly find they are surpassed. I'm guessing the ask for more specific/clearer rules is so they don't spend time/money chasing a solution that ends up banned/deemed illegal.

HPD

Adrian Newey: "You have to decide between the two wing concepts. There is no interim solution. We could swing over to the Ferrari wing without major modifications, if necessary ".

Christian Horner: "Our simulations showed in comparison that we are better positioned with our wing type".

"We focused on this concept right from the beginning," Beat Zehnder reveals. "Our engineers were really surprised when they saw the classic wings at Mercedes and Red Bull. We believed in a fake when we saw the presentation cars of them."

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ste-woche/

TNTHead

Interesting article. Although, I suspect that Auto motor und sport is playing along with the narrative that Mercedes is (far) behind. That's all psychological warfare. Which FW concept is superior and which team has the upper hand at season start is still to be seen. I still expect Mercedes to be close or ahead. We just have too little information to draw any conclusion. Although it's nice to speculate and imagine your favourite team ahead ;)

godlameroso

We won't know what the Bull can really do until Australia. The lap times are still all over the place, next week the first two days will be more of the same, it's only until the last days of testing that you see a proper race sim.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

Red Bull sieht sich als ersten Verfolger. „Auf Ferrari fehlen uns zwei Zehntelsekunden", sagt Red Bulls Motorsportchef Helmut Marko. „Mercedes liegt hinter uns."
„Die zwei Zehntel, die uns auf Ferrari fehlen, müssen wir auf der Chassis-Seite finden."
„Spätestens bis Melbourne ist er weg", sagt Marko. Red Bull verspricht Änderungen an allen Ecken des Autos. Aerodynamische wie mechanische.
Red Bull sees themself as the first pursuers. "On Ferrari we are missing two tenths of a second," says Red Bull Motorsport Director Helmut Marko. "Mercedes is behind us."
"The two tenths that we miss on Ferrari, we have to find on the chassis side."
"At the latest to Melbourne, it is gone," says Marko Red Bull promises changes in all corners of the car - both aerodynamic and mechanical.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... testwoche/
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

As mentioned before, if that calculation is true, if there is only 2/10 gap between them, Redbull can be faster or same speed at some tracks. And if Ferrari can not up its inseason development it can be good for Redbull Honda.

Capharol
Capharol

Wouter wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 14:21
Red Bull sieht sich als ersten Verfolger. „Auf Ferrari fehlen uns zwei Zehntelsekunden", sagt Red Bulls Motorsportchef Helmut Marko. „Mercedes liegt hinter uns."
„Die zwei Zehntel, die uns auf Ferrari fehlen, müssen wir auf der Chassis-Seite finden."
„Spätestens bis Melbourne ist er weg", sagt Marko. Red Bull verspricht Änderungen an allen Ecken des Autos. Aerodynamische wie mechanische.
Red Bull sees themself as the first pursuers. "On Ferrari we are missing two tenths of a second," says Red Bull Motorsport Director Helmut Marko. "Mercedes is behind us."
"At the latest to Melbourne, it is gone," says Marko Red Bull promises changes in all corners of the car - both aerodynamic and mechanical.
somehow i can't believe it (even though, i would like it) but 2/10 behind Ferrari and infront of Merc with an Engine that had load of troubles, and suddenly they found the solution? .... well lets see how they do in Melbourne

Wouter

Capharol wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 16:33
Wouter wrote:
somehow i can't believe it (even though, i would like it) but 2/10 behind Ferrari and infront of Merc
with an Engine that had load of troubles, and suddenly they found the solution?
.... well lets see how they do in Melbourne
When did they have that " load of troubles"?! That is more than a year and a half ago !! Do you have any idea how much Kw progression they have made last year?! They continue at the same pace.

" ....and suddenly they found the solution?"
No, not suddenly, during the last one and a half years.
The Power of Dreams!

Capharol
Capharol

Wouter wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 16:43
Capharol wrote:
somehow i can't believe it (even though, i would like it) but 2/10 behind Ferrari and infront of Merc
When did they have that " load of troubles"?! That is more than a year and a half ago !! Do you have any idea how much Kw progression they have made last year?! They continue at the same pace.

even during the start with TR they had problems and you know that exactly

Bill
Bill

Perhaps you can't believe because Mclaren had feed you garbage,you eat it all no question asked.think for yourself critically

Wouter

Capharol wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 16:46
Wouter wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 16:43
Capharol wrote:

even during the start with TR they had problems and you know that exactly
You mean that one time problem with the MGU-H Gasly had in Melbourne? That is a " load of troubles" ?? #-o
What does that have to do with the enormous progression of the Kw that they have made in the past year?
You were talking about " ....and suddenly they found the solution?" and I answered that.
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

Capharol, I have also been eagle-eyedly-following STRs every move last year and indeed we only had one Honda PU fail, in Melbourne on that very bumpy track they had a breakage and that particular weakness was found and resolved. All other engine changes were due to collision damage, testing purposes (of which they did a lot). Gasly having to park his car in the last race was also not an engine failure (that is why he kept going and remarking over the radio nothing wrong) but an oil tank leakage.

You might say they did that to camouflage the fact that they had poor reliability, and yes, that might be true. We cannot know that with certainty but what we DO know for absoluty certain is just one engine blow in the whole season.

And also now the first week of winter testing was trouble free. Netx week will already be a better indicator and then the season starts. I expect to see a reliable Honda.

HPD

Capharol wrote:
somehow i can't believe it (even though, i would like it) but 2/10 behind Ferrari and infront of Merc with an Engine that had load of troubles, and suddenly they found the solution? .... well lets see how they do in Melbourne
I think you have to differentiate well, a reliability problem or a PU design problem.

maguetox
maguetox

Wouter wrote:
Is really difficult to read Marko comments, to my understanding, Marko comments have to different interpretations, one interpretation is that the Honda PU is on par with the Ferrari one (very difficult) or the Honda PU is at the moment at the max of their HP gains and that´s why they need to find more speed on their chassis, basically the same situation that RBR was with Renault in previous years.

Wouter

maguetox wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 17:48
Wouter wrote:
Is really difficult to read Marko comments, to my understanding, Marko comments have to different interpretations, one interpretation is that the Honda PU is on par with the Ferrari one (very difficult) or the Honda PU is at the moment at the max of their HP gains and that´s why they need to find more speed on their chassis, basically the same situation that RBR was with Renault in previous years.
What Helmut Marko says is that at the moment the Honda engine is 0.2 seconds slower than the Ferrari engine.
They will compensate that this week with their chassis / car with upgrades.
That is not the same situation as with Renault, because then there was a gap of +/- 0.7 sec, which they could not compensate with the car.
The Power of Dreams!