F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TwanV
TwanV

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

LM10 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 16:20
The sim came to an end just after a short last stint because there probably were some issues. Liveticker reports strange noises were audible and when Verstappen was back in pits the mechanics checked the back of the car.
Thanks for the stint-times LM10, any word from RB about this? EDIT: VES indeed was in the gravel at some point. :wtf:
Last edited by TwanV on 27 Feb 2019, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

SiLo

Bottas did an 18.3 on the C2 last week I think.
Felipe Baby!

PhillipM
PhillipM

GPR -A wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 15:20
I already do, for the past 8 years! I guess the problem is with me, that I am getting more enlightened here, which is changing my perspective. :lol: Guess it's time to unsubscribe it.
I've been subbed to the magazine for decades and yet there's about the last 2-3 years worth, maybe more, just sat unopened on a shelf :lol:
Their F1 coverage quality is dire compared to what they used to be.

BassVirolla

Someone in the track has noticed the odd sound of the Williams when exiting some corners? I think it is the opening of the wastegates, but the car does it in strange locations / moments. And it sounds very different to MB and RP. It almost sounds like something broken. Looks like they are struggling to set the PU...

(Mods, feel free to move the post. Testing, Mercedes PU, Williams hardware...?)

TwanV
TwanV

Reports from dutch media: RB is having to replace either the engine or the gearbox, not entirely clear which (or both). RB will be out of testing for the next hour at least.

Godius

TwanV wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 16:34
LM10 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 16:20
The sim came to an end just after a short last stint because there probably were some issues. Liveticker reports strange noises were audible and when Verstappen was back in pits the mechanics checked the back of the car.
Thanks for the stint-times LM10, any word from RB about this? EDIT: VES indeed was in the gravel at some point. :wtf:
indeed, it happened on the C2 compound:

https://twitter.com/JunaidSamodien_/sta ... 5200441346

djones
djones

I find it quite strange how Hamilton and Bottas are always setting pretty much identical lap times.

It would be nice to say they were aiming for a set time. But could a driver even be that accurate?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

djones wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 17:16
I find it quite strange how Hamilton and Bottas are always setting pretty much identical lap times.

It would be nice to say they were aiming for a set time. But could a driver even be that accurate?
Yes. They regularly "drive to a delta", even in races. One of the differences between these guys and us is consistency: they are able to churn out laps that are as close to identical as makes no difference. They're driving robots, if you like. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

WaikeCU

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 17:20
djones wrote:

Yes. They regularly "drive to a delta", even in races. One of the differences between these guys and us is consistency: they are able to churn out laps that are as close to identical as makes no difference. They're driving robots, if you like. :lol:
It was the same with Nico and Lewis seasons ago.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Yep, if you ever want to see the difference between a goood driver and a great driver, ask them to drive to a set time at 7-8/10ths of flat out - that's harder than driving on the limit is.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
djones wrote:

Webber referred to Vettel as a computer after a qualifying session a few years ago iirc...

dans79

It also helps that they have a nice big screen right in front of them that can give them a continuous +- delta.
Just_a_fan wrote:
djones wrote:

201 105 104 9 9 7

TwanV
TwanV

RB replaced their gearbox only, expected to return on track any moment now acc. gptoday.net

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 17:25
It also helps that they have a nice big screen right in front of them that can give them a continuous +- delta.
Just_a_fan wrote:
djones wrote:

F1 drivers have been driving to lap times for years. The screen is an aide memoir, not a "without it you fail" tool.

Top drivers know how much is available to them - we hear it often that "there's half a second still to find" and lo, they find that half a second. Last season, Vettel was asked in one race how much faster he could go if released and then did just that.

I guess that if you've spent your entire life since your early years driving karts and then various cars, you develop an inherent feel for lap times.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jambier

TwanV wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 17:41
RB replaced their gearbox only, expected to return on track any moment now acc. gptoday.net
Last year gearbox causes many DNF for them.
Will it be the same this year?