F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Looking at how much steering he has on, the front left tie rod might well have broken.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 21:19

The front wing didn't brake.
https://images.scribblelive.com/2019/2/ ... 93_800.jpg
I think it was established that image was on another part of the track?

jjn9128

FittingMechanics wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 21:22
jjn9128 wrote:

Where was that established?? Just flicked back through, no mention of that I can see?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Marti_EF3

Some media saying that the wheel nut failed??

DVB

Damn! Instead of someone says, or some media says that. Just post sources :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

Marti_EF3

DVB wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 21:34
Damn! Instead of someone says, or some media says that. Just post sources :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I heard it on a live YouTube review from SoyMotor they do every day at 18:05. And they said that about the wheel nut...

Here it is, but is in Spanish

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 21:25
FittingMechanics wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:

Where was that established?? Just flicked back through, no mention of that I can see?
Well, I am not an expert but people in the thread said that it doesn't look like turn 3. I tried to find proper images, and ended up with this.

If you look at it and compare with the alleged image of him sliding

you can tell that on the real image of the crash, on the right side there is green colored tarmac, on sliding image there is no green tarmac, also you can see that start of the kerb on the left side of the car on the sliding image, while on the real crash image there is no kerb on the left side of the car. On the real image, kerb is visible on the right side of the car while in the sliding image there is no kerb (only green colored tarmac). There are more discrepancies but I think even these few are enough.

I'd say it's likely that image is from before and not from the crash.

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

Manjhi wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 20:10
I think liberty has genuinely told all the top teams not to show actual qualy pace during test and to mid-field to show qualy pace to even out the time sheet.
This timesheet is simply confusing.
Like Merc said on Instagram, when they start giving points out for testing then they'll go all out.

Testing is about understanding the car and making sure the aero is doing what the wind tunnel and cfd say it is. They run the engines on the dyno to test how powerful it is and can simulate a whole weekend of running at any track.

Plus Merc, Ferrari and Honda have the more than one team to supply so they can run different engine programs. The smaller teams will most likely be running the qualy runs to find any issues with the engine turned up.

jjn9128

FittingMechanics wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 21:39
Well, I am not an expert but people in the thread said that it doesn't look like turn 3. I tried to find proper images, and ended up with this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0Z6AzgXQAAZhKH.jpg:large

you can tell that on the real image of the crash, on the right side there is green colored tarmac, on sliding image there is no green tarmac, also you can see that start of the kerb on the left side of the car on the sliding image, while on the real crash image there is no kerb on the left side of the car. On the real image, kerb is visible on the right side of the car while in the sliding image there is no kerb (only green colored tarmac). There are more discrepancies but I think even these few are enough.

I couldn't find that mentioned anywhere, but comparing those you're quite correct. It does look like the inside wall from T3 though.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 21:46
FittingMechanics wrote:

I couldn't find that mentioned anywhere, but comparing those you're quite correct. It does look like the inside wall from T3 though.
It's similar but there are differences. The wall in the crash image doesn't have a fence and the wall looks further away then in the sliding image.

Oh, I just realized, the shadows point in the opposite direction in the two images.

jaba.hut

FittingMechanics wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 21:25
FittingMechanics wrote:

To me it is obvious that below photo is not from Turn 3 because there are no red/white kerbs at outter edge of track at top photo but green painted tarmac. Below image is from last chicane I would say.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

I would have guessed last chicane from the surroundings, but all locked up into a slow corner like that? More likely to be two turns back into the left hander using the F1 route rather than pre-2002/MotoGP maybe?

NathanOlder

Surely its into Turn 10 ?? Just the front locked up but the smoke doing what the air is doing and sticking to the side of the car and past the rear wheel.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Mercedes is adamant not to show any real pace until qualifying.

NathanOlder

foxmulder_ms wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 23:31
Mercedes is adamant not to show any real pace until qualifying.
Yeah same as every year in recent times. And still the media are almost writing them off #-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC