F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Juzh

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

11:58
Nearly into the final hour, and Leclerc records a new personal best of 1m 17.253s, the third quickest of the morning.

Will that have the Scuderia's rivals quaking in the their racing boots? Well yes actually, when you consider he was on the C2 tyres...
This seem to be the fastest lap on C2, yes?

I've quickly checked last years quali numbers, on his best run so far (1.16.9) he was about 5kph down on start/finish line and S1, then a few kph up on S2.

HPD

C5. Leclercs Run:
Outlap -
1: 16.6 -
1: 50.3 -
1: 17.3 -
Inlap.
Last edited by HPD on 28 Feb 2019, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

GrandAxe wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 13:35
Mercedes claim to have had balance problems in week one don't seem to add up when you consider that they were actually running two variations of front suspension - one normal height and having some rake, the other quite high and running the car parallel to the track.

This leaves a few questions such as; on which of the suspension types they had balance issues, on which corners the problems occurred and so on. Clearly, both those suspension configurations wouldn't have behaved the same.

All the while, Mercedes also had the opposite car concept to the one they were running quietly getting a tan in an autoclave somewhere in England. The car from last week also ran a gamut of aero tests, not just tyre and suspension. Why, if it's carrying an aero concept they'd probably never need?
It would seem that from the onset, they deliberately set out to test both car concepts and last weeks car was far from a mule.

I'm going to make a bold bet. Mercedes is going to use at least three car concepts across this season in order to match the characteristics of the various tracks as much as possible. I'll wager that last weeks car and its high downforce wing will pop up on street circuits; in Monaco, Baku and Singapore. This weeks car might be used at lower downforce/ high speed circuits like spa and Monza. What d'you guys think?
I expect you are right here. Two versions would be my bet. They have always talked a lot about this compromised problem they have with some tracks. It is the ultimate solution as long as it doesn't break any rules. Also mind bendingly expensive but Merc have very deep pockets, no doubt.

SiLo

If Merc are going to run two concepts the others may as well pack up and go home. Unless they have managed to do it with similar cost to running one somehow.
Felipe Baby!

Wynters
Wynters

GrandAxe wrote:
I'm going to make a bold bet. Mercedes is going to use at least three car concepts across this season in order to match the characteristics of the various tracks as much as possible. I'll wager that last weeks car and its high downforce wing will pop up on street circuits; in Monaco, Baku and Singapore. This weeks car might be used at lower downforce/ high speed circuits like spa and Monza. What d'you guys think?
Maybe I'm wrong (will neither be the first or last time), and this is a revolutionary idea, but the cars are constantly evolving and I just don't see how you can constantly evolve multiple cars without hindering the development of all of them.

Do you bring four cars to each weekend and halve the Practice time each will get, just so you can check that evolutionary developments work on each car? Which car do you prioritise for the finite wind tunnel usage? Or do you focus exclusively on your general concept and only put resources into the outlier concept on the relevant weekends? In which case, would anyone feel confident if their team turned up to Monaco with the car they used during the first test, months before? Or the car that's been evolving every minute since then? And bear in mind that all the other teams are making their main car faster whilst Mercedes are spending time on their outlier-spec. It just seems to have limited benefits compared to the costs required.

FrukostScones

LEC still sandbagging probably :mrgreen:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

Sandbagging disussion again [-o<

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Alexgtt wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 13:42
GrandAxe wrote:
Mercedes claim to have had balance problems in week one don't seem to add up when you consider that they were actually running two variations of front suspension - one normal height and having some rake, the other quite high and running the car parallel to the track.

This leaves a few questions such as; on which of the suspension types they had balance issues, on which corners the problems occurred and so on. Clearly, both those suspension configurations wouldn't have behaved the same.

All the while, Mercedes also had the opposite car concept to the one they were running quietly getting a tan in an autoclave somewhere in England. The car from last week also ran a gamut of aero tests, not just tyre and suspension. Why, if it's carrying an aero concept they'd probably never need?
It would seem that from the onset, they deliberately set out to test both car concepts and last weeks car was far from a mule.

I expect you are right here. Two versions would be my bet. They have always talked a lot about this compromised problem they have with some tracks. It is the ultimate solution as long as it doesn't break any rules. Also mind bendingly expensive but Merc have very deep pockets, no doubt.
When you consider the travails of Williams this season, the gap between the lower and top teams seems quite vulgar. Williams couldn't even get just their single aero concept finished in time for the first days of the test.

RZS10

Funny that at the same time as Will Buxton's tweet started the "Merc will run x different car concepts this season" discussion, claiming this suspicion came from "a competitor" AMuS is running an article which claims the car is unpredictable and that according to calculations "made by competitors" the first week's car would be just good enough for the midfield of the pack .............. looks like the silly season hasn't quite ended yet

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Wynters wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 13:45
GrandAxe wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong (will neither be the first or last time), and this is a revolutionary idea, but the cars are constantly evolving and I just don't see how you can constantly evolve multiple cars without hindering the development of all of them.

Do you bring four cars to each weekend and halve the Practice time each will get, just so you can check that evolutionary developments work on each car? Which car do you prioritise for the finite wind tunnel usage? Or do you focus exclusively on your general concept and only put resources into the outlier concept on the relevant weekends? In which case, would anyone feel confident if their team turned up to Monaco with the car they used during the first test, months before? Or the car that's been evolving every minute since then? And bear in mind that all the other teams are making their main car faster whilst Mercedes are spending time on their outlier-spec. It just seems to have limited benefits compared to the costs required.
No, they will know very well which version of the car to bring to which track. Two concept development programmes.

turbof1

That's not going to happen. No matter how big Mercedes is, the regulatory allocation of CFD and windtunnel time is way too limited to support 4 concepts. Mercedes is trying things out, the point of testing, before committing one way or the other.
#AeroFrodo

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Wynters wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:

True, it would be more difficult to maintain 2+ concepts. But it is telling that they have successfully produced two aero and two suspension concepts in the same period as the other top teams (Ferrari and Red Bull, as well as others with deep pockets e.g. McLaren) have been able to produce just one of each.

Vasconia

turbof1 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 13:58
That's not going to happen. No matter how big Mercedes is, the regulatory allocation of CFD and windtunnel time is way too limited to support 4 concepts. Mercedes is trying things out, the point of testing, before committing one way or the other.
Its not only that it is extremely costly to develope several different concepts but that you need to develop them. This is way too much even for Mercedes.

My bet is that if the rumors about balance problems are true they are just trying now some different configurations to find one which is the best one, and start the development race through the season from it.

dren

Didn't Mercedes say their Melbourne car is what's on the car now?
Honda!

turbof1

GrandAxe wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 14:00
Wynters wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:

True, it would be more difficult to maintain 2+ concepts. But it is telling that they have successfully produced two aero and two suspension concepts in the same period as the other top teams (Ferrari and Red Bull, as well as others with deep pockets e.g. McLaren) have been able to produce just one of each.
Which could have come at the expense of refining one concept or the other. Maybe they also kept developing while they already produced one set of parts to get the car going on track while they could develop further. It could very well be is that the current car is nothing more than a further developed version of last week's.
#AeroFrodo