F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Mangalhit

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

GPR -A wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 14:49
Big Mangalhit wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 14:40
Why are you using ham C2 lap and not Leclerc 1m17.253s C2 lap?
I took the best time available, on whichever compound was used by either driver. Besides, Leclerc did one single flying lap on C2 (unless I have missed something), whereas Hamilton did 9 laps on the stint. I am not saying Leclerc was on fumes and neither am I saying, Mercedes was full to the brink.

https://i.screenshot.net/vmy0xim
Not sure I am following you. Is it not the best time on the C2 compound the Lec lap? Or because he made a faster lap on C5 you don't use his?? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

However you second part of the argument holds a lot of validity he had (almost for sure) new tyres. Fuel levels we don't know since 9 laps of fuel are also not very meaningful (in an almost 1s faster lap).

One could also argue that after that LeC lap he was making personal bests on 1st and 2nd sectors before entering the pits so it is clear that we was not on quali mode. In quali mode you start with full battery and finish with depleted battery but in his case he was in sustain mode to be able to do an even faster 2/3 of the next lap. Witch to me is the most impressive. Hamilton on the other hand was doing a fast/slow lap which doesn't say anything about the state of power use he was using (it might be using all power and then recharge next lap).
OFC that merc still has much to show i'm sure, still not impressed yet, but also not fooled.

turbof1

Big Mangalhit wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 15:02
GPR -A wrote:
Big Mangalhit wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 14:40
Why are you using ham C2 lap and not Leclerc 1m17.253s C2 lap?
I took the best time available, on whichever compound was used by either driver. Besides, Leclerc did one single flying lap on C2 (unless I have missed something), whereas Hamilton did 9 laps on the stint. I am not saying Leclerc was on fumes and neither am I saying, Mercedes was full to the brink.

Not sure I am following you. Is it not the best time on the C2 compound the Lec lap? Or because he made a faster lap on C5 you don't use his?? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

However you second part of the argument holds a lot of validity he had (almost for sure) new tyres. Fuel levels we don't know since 9 laps of fuel are also not very meaningful (in an almost 1s faster lap).

One could also argue that after that LeC lap he was making personal bests on 1st and 2nd sectors before entering the pits so it is clear that we was not on quali mode. In quali mode you start with full battery and finish with depleted battery but in his case he was in sustain mode to be able to do an even faster 2/3 of the next lap. Witch to me is the most impressive. Hamilton on the other hand was doing a fast/slow lap which doesn't say anything about the state of power use he was using (it might be using all power and then recharge next lap).
OFC that merc still has much to show i'm sure, still not impressed yet, but also not fooled.
He took the best times irrespective from the tyre. I think that is quite ok. Even though we absolutely can't take definitive conclusions out of this all out fastest times, correcting for harder tyre one lap times is very difficult and open to conjecture. Of course that puts a lot of questions marks around Hamilton's time, because we don't know how much we need to adjust for.
#AeroFrodo

WaikeCU

turbof1 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 14:52
JPBD1990 wrote:
Everyone talking about Mercedes running multiple concepts this year are deluded! Anything will do in order to apply a veneer of superiority to Mercedes over anyone and everyone else.
Let's just not excagerate here. People speculate. I have not read anywhere that the story with multiple concepts is proof for some sort of Mercedes superiority. Let's not dramatize conjecture.
Imagine if it's different concept.

Isn't this like back in the days with Lotus Renault when Kimi and Romain were teammates (2013 I think). I remember they had a longer and shorter wheelbase version of the car.

Isn't this similar? I don't think it's rocket science what Merc is doing right now. It's just a bit different.

Godius

Ferrari practice start sound:

motobaleno

turbof1 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 15:05
Big Mangalhit wrote:
GPR -A wrote:

He took the best times irrespective from the tyre. I think that is quite ok. Even though we absolutely can't take definitive conclusions out of this all out fastest times, correcting for harder tyre one lap times is very difficult and open to conjecture. Of course that puts a lot of questions marks around Hamilton's time, because we don't know how much we need to adjust for.
I think that is quite ok either if you take the best time irrespective form the tyre and you don't correct anything or if you correct than you take the best time AFTER correction not BEFORE correction.

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

Godius wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 15:16
Ferrari practice start sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqvbHjiNl40
Sounds like a coffee maker while the engine is in the starting mode.
Still prefer the Merc's brutal sound over the Ferraris.

Big Mangalhit

turbof1 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 15:05
Big Mangalhit wrote:
GPR -A wrote:

But if you are assuming that C5 is 1.9s faster than C2 then the faster Leclerc lap is the one he did on C2 and not the one on C5.

GPR-A

Big Mangalhit wrote:
One could also argue that after that LeC lap he was making personal bests on 1st and 2nd sectors before entering the pits so it is clear that we was not on quali mode.
I only read "personal best second sector" there and it doesn't talk about 1st sector. I am not arguing about the quali mode as I am guessing neither Ferrari nor Mercedes are using it.

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

GPR -A wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 15:26
Big Mangalhit wrote:
One could also argue that after that LeC lap he was making personal bests on 1st and 2nd sectors before entering the pits so it is clear that we was not on quali mode.
I only read "personal best second sector" there and it doesn't talk about 1st sector. I am not arguing about the quali mode as I am guessing neither Ferrari nor Mercedes are using it.
Well, ferrari is using a higher engine mode for sure. Based on the speedtraps of the given sector.
For example Hamilton was 13kph slower in the middle compared to Leclerc, and by far the slowest of everybody.

turbof1

Jozsusz wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 15:30
GPR -A wrote:
Big Mangalhit wrote:
Well, ferrari is using a higher engine mode for sure.
That's still speculation. We can't take that as a fact. Mercedes for instance has been playing around with extreme rear wing angles, so then you are getting a case of horsepower vs drag level.
#AeroFrodo

Sevach
Sevach

the EDGE
the EDGE

Could this not be done when the track is closed?

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/11 ... 33888?s=20

Big Mangalhit

GPR -A wrote:
Big Mangalhit wrote:
You are right, I read it wrong. It was only personal second best. Still my point stands you can't make a personal best at Barcelona without any battery power. Ofc he could've made a very slow first sector to recharge but I think if that was the case people in autosport wouldn't get excited for that second lap. It must've been a fast lap. Still it's a shame you were pedantic about a detail and didn't address any of my other real points :(

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

Valtteri is on a race simulation.

Capharol
Capharol

Ricciardo (C2) #RS19
OUT
1: 20.070
1: 43.729
1: 19.759
1: 49.269
1: 21.611
1: 21.881
1: 21.701
1: 21.632
1: 21.436
IN #F1testing #Day7 #F1
@RenaultF1Team

not sure but didn't do Mercedes did a 1.20.0 aswell?