F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

MtthsMlw wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 18:59
Yep, Gasly's fault. Went on to the grass at corner entry.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0gdu2gWkAEkYUE.jpg:large
via Ziggo Sport
I don't think so. if you look at the video from formula1.com, there is a fire coming out from backside of the car. May engine failure, due to that he lost the power and control of the care.

MtthsMlw

FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:13
No rollover for Gasly. He hit the grass a little, car oversteered and he hit the tire barrier with back side of the car.

https://streamable.com/c7kvu
Awesome! Every angle is included. The rear facing one is brutal..

Phil

GPR -A wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 18:46
MtthsMlw wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 18:39
AMuS:
"The Mercedes team boss tells us that Leclerc is 5 seconds faster over the race distance than Bottas".
That is a staggering 0.075 of a second per lap!!! Well and truly, season over for Mercedes.
No one ever suggested Mercedes season is over, based on anything, so i really dont get your attitude here. I find it highly amusing though how the tune is slowly changing from “Mercedes is sandbagging” to “oh, maybe they are indeed behind” despite Mercedes showing up with a completely different car for the 2nd week.

Even so, assuming that opinion/take is accurate, race pace does not equal qualifying pace. One does not necessarily conclude the other.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

matt_s
matt_s

selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:14

I don't think so. if you look at the video from formula1.com, there is a fire coming out from backside of the car. May engine failure, due to that he lost the power and control of the care.
It sparked as it bottomed-out on the kerb.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MtthsMlw

Very similiar to Hartley last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCYhwCROfAk

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Mercedes will par with Ferrari on the performance or may be one step ahead. There is no point in showing there speed in testing. It was the story in 2018 but Mercedes won both the titles.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

matt_s wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:19
selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:14

It sparked as it bottomed-out on the kerb.
Okay.

Wynters
Wynters

selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:21
Mercedes will par with Ferrari on the performance or may be one step ahead. There is no point in showing there speed in testing. It was the story in 2018 but Mercedes won both the titles.
Speed in testing and the final points tally don't always tie up. Ferrari hit pre-season out of the park last year. I think if you'd asked any driver which car they'd like to be in after the opening rounds, most of them would've said 'Ferrari'. That they lost their way and allowed Mercedes to catch and pass them later in the season doesn't change that.

Whilst I'm skeptical about lap times, that Mercedes bought such a changed car to the second test either means they are a) well ahead of their rival or b) well behind. I strongly suspect the latter, although we won't know until the opening races are completed.

zibby43
zibby43

Phil wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:16
GPR -A wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
AMuS:
"The Mercedes team boss tells us that Leclerc is 5 seconds faster over the race distance than Bottas".
That is a staggering 0.075 of a second per lap!!! Well and truly, season over for Mercedes.
No one ever suggested Mercedes season is over, based on anything, so i really dont get your attitude here. I find it highly amusing though how the tune is slowly changing from “Mercedes is sandbagging” to “oh, maybe they are indeed behind” despite Mercedes showing up with a completely different car for the 2nd week.

Even so, assuming that opinion/take is accurate, race pace does not equal qualifying pace. One does not necessarily conclude the other.
It’s just so tough to tell. Ferrari’s long run pace looked way off Merc’s in testing of ‘18 and after Melbourne, Ferrari was consistently faster than Mercedes over the first several races of the season.

Mamba
Mamba

Phil wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:16
GPR -A wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
AMuS:

You don't get his sarcasm do you? This season is far, far from over! Only those delusional are suggesting it is. Looks like another proper fight. Hoping a relaxed and motivated Ferrari carries through.

MAMBA

Manfer
Manfer

Wynters wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:26
selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:21
Speed in testing and the final points tally don't always tie up. Ferrari hit pre-season out of the park last year. I think if you'd asked any driver which car they'd like to be in after the opening rounds, most of them would've said 'Ferrari'. That they lost their way and allowed Mercedes to catch and pass them later in the season doesn't change that.

Whilst I'm skeptical about lap times, that Mercedes bought such a changed car to the second test either means they are a) well ahead of their rival or b) well behind. I strongly suspect the latter, although we won't know until the opening races are completed.
Ferrari were sub-par last year during pre-season testing. They lucked into winning Australia, The changes to the car made at Bahrain, ie; the new floor is what pushed them level with Merc. All the "pundits" predicted a gap of atleast 0.5s to Merc last year. Mr Andreson famously even said Haas was on the same level as Ferrari.

CriXus
CriXus

I do not know how Merc calculated 5s gap. The laps show something very different and much bigger.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

motobaleno

no one evidenced that bottas laptimes in the 3rd stint started to improve after having cooled down tyres (1.38 lap) .

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

CriXus wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:32
I do not know how Merc calculated 5s gap. The laps show something very different and much bigger.

https://i.imgur.com/Tps79Na.png
I think they have more data, than this table :)