F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GPR-A

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

motobaleno wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:33
no one evidenced that bottas laptimes in the 3rd stint started to improve after having cooled down tyres (1.38 lap) .
With the temperatures being way less than optimum, it would be beneficial to be constantly running in optimum lap times, rather than slowing down as the temperatures will quickly go down and that would cause more graining and take life out of tyres.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14180 ... est-window
Bottas said Mercedes has suffered "quite a bit with graining" in the cooler conditions in the morning and late afternoon in testing.

While he believes other teams are encountering the same problem, he said it is "quite difficult to learn anything on the car" when that occurs.

"There's a very small window to get the tyres to work," Bottas added.

CreepierEnd
CreepierEnd

Jozsusz wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:38
CriXus wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:32
I do not know how Merc calculated 5s gap. The laps show something very different and much bigger.

https://i.imgur.com/Tps79Na.png
I think they have more data, than this table :)
It will all come down to the Qualifying modes. Once anyone is ahead it becomes tougher to overtake.

syntaxerror147
syntaxerror147

GPR -A wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:41
motobaleno wrote:
no one evidenced that bottas laptimes in the 3rd stint started to improve after having cooled down tyres (1.38 lap) .
With the temperatures being way less than optimum, it would be beneficial to be constantly running in optimum lap times, rather than slowing down as the temperatures will quickly go down and that would cause more graining and take life out of tyres.

Bottas said Mercedes has suffered "quite a bit with graining" in the cooler conditions in the morning and late afternoon in testing.

While he believes other teams are encountering the same problem, he said it is "quite difficult to learn anything on the car" when that occurs.

Then what's the reason for the teams to do a slow lap, followed by annother quick lap? As this cool down lap would ruin the tires, as you say. I think the slow lap from bottas was rather beneficial for his tires.

motobaleno

GPR -A wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:41
motobaleno wrote:

yours is an interpretation, mine is a fact.
BTW according to your interpretation bottas should have slowed down after cooling: so why happened the opposite?
sandbagging I guess...

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's not a fact, it's your interpretation of the fact that he had a slow lap behind someone. No different to his interpretation.

motobaleno

PhillipM wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:55
It's not a fact, it's your interpretation of the fact that he had a slow lap behind someone. No different to his interpretation.
nope, I did not give any interpretation in my original post (please read it). you are attributing to me an interpretation just because (FOR YOU) this interpretation is trivial (so maybe if it's trivial is also true?)

To be more explicit I have only evidenced laptimes evolution after a very slow lap and this is a fact.
You attribute to me the interpretation that this evolution is somewhat correlated with the slow lap...but I never said that...maybe you say that because it's trivial uh? so again any suspect that if it's trivial it could be likely true?
Last edited by motobaleno on 28 Feb 2019, 20:05, edited 2 times in total.

PhillipM
PhillipM

All that happened was his times improved, you infered that was from cooled down tyres - that's an interpretation.

Reality is they might have just picked the pace up slightly to get them back on the same wear/fuel use or any other reason.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

matt_s wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:19
selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:14

I don't think so. if you look at the video from formula1.com, there is a fire coming out from backside of the car. May engine failure, due to that he lost the power and control of the care.
It sparked as it bottomed-out on the kerb.
Interesting that it bottomed out just as he turned in. I'm not convinced it was necessarily a "driver error" just that the car was a bit lower than the kerb would allow. Looking at the edge of the track there, lots of people take the same line.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

KiLLu12258
KiLLu12258

Gasly said that they cant do that 16,2 from leclerc with that tyres. They tryed it but they cant just do it at the moment.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

zibby43 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:29
It’s just so tough to tell. Ferrari’s long run pace looked way off Merc’s in testing of ‘18 and after Melbourne, Ferrari was consistently faster than Mercedes over the first several races of the season.
People say this a lot, but it's not entirely true, especially if we're comparing long run pace. Everybody seems to remember qualifying order, but Mercedes were a match or better for Ferrari on Sundays for most of the season with a pretty noticeable tire usage advantage. The Sundays that Ferrari were actually clearly faster than Mercedes were few and far between.

I'd say Merc were clear faster than Ferrari on Sunday for both Australia and Bahrain. Merc looked very good in China as well, though that race was a bit crazier. And in Baku, Merc were every bit as fast as Ferrari in the race(if not better in the hands of Bottas). Spain, Merc again had a faster car on Sunday. Wasn't til Monaco, Race 6, where we had an example of Ferrari actually having a car that could pull away from the Merc on a Sunday.

Shrieker

FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:13
No rollover for Gasly. He hit the grass a little, car oversteered and he hit the tire barrier with back side of the car.

https://streamable.com/c7kvu
That wasn't even a flying lap.. Looks like he was going ~%75 gas.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Formula Wrong

FittingMechanics wrote:
No rollover for Gasly. He hit the grass a little, car oversteered and he hit the tire barrier with back side of the car.

The way the rear wing gets shoved onto the cockpit looks a bit weird, I don't think I've seen something like that before. And I didn't know he's still driving for Toro Rosso :mrgreen:
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

MtthsMlw

KiLLu12258 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 20:08
Gasly said that they cant do that 16,2 from leclerc with that tyres. They tryed it but they cant just do it at the moment.
That's not good. I expect Ferrari to be able to do low 1:15s in a proper quali run.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Shrieker wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 20:14
FittingMechanics wrote:

That wasn't even a flying lap.. Looks like he was going ~%75 gas.
He was on a race sim. That's why it's even more surprising.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Anyone watched Vettels crash yesterday? I do not see a foreign object, quite strange, looks like the rim gave way in the corner. Any ideas?

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... lrEuv.html