Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Red Bull RB15

roon wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 22:06
Shows well how the bar/cover/hoop over the s-duct opening should be acting as a venturi.
Exactly. This venturi then sucks air out of the s-duct helping to pull air from under the nose and thus help the front wing (and the turning vanes below the chassis, presumably). A venturi pump. Similar to the aspirators used to inflate aircraft escape slides.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

Whilst at the same time attaching the flow to the top of the bodywork, then down the side and via that slope that only RBR has (and McLaren now also a bit) curls back under the tail and the exits on top of the diffusor, Hopefully improving below Floor suction as well.

Flying JPS Lotus

They're running the struts again today. Only it's black this time.

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4347238401

"Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!"

#AeroUruk-Hai

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

paddyf1
paddyf1

The struts at the back of the red bull, they are to strengthen the floor, during testing i have seen the corners of the diffuser vibrate.

nacho
nacho

Struts have threads for adjustement, though the upper nuts are marked with loctite.

paddyf1
paddyf1

nacho wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 13:24
Struts have threads for adjustement, though the upper nuts are marked with loctite.
"Red Bull continues with its suspenders in the background to maintain stiffness and evaluate different heights". "Playing with aerodynamic structural elasticity as it is called".

Tzk
Tzk

Maybe they reverted to an older floor (just like the bardgeboards) and this old floor simply flexes too much?

Sieper

I think they produced one reinforced floor over the weekend (by adding extra patching to an existing floor, ad hoc) and that that floor has been crashed into oblivion by Pierre yesterday so now we are back at the old floor (with reinforcing struts to stop the buffeting / vibrating like spotted by PaddyF1.

In Australia a better floor will be ready.

ME4ME

Also note the reflective squares on the diffuser vanes. There might be some kind of camera / optical sensor installed beneith the rear crash structure.

Newey actually confirmed at the end of last year that they had found a diffuser issue mid-2018, re-designed it and been much happier ever since. No doubt they would like to start this season with an aero optimal and also structurally-verified diffuser concept. This will make sure that they know what's going on with the rear end of the car, so that all the data from the first view races is valid and usable as a base for development of future upgrades.
Last edited by ME4ME on 01 Mar 2019, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

roon
roon

A piece of CF branches off the RW support and goes into engine bay. That should be a shroud for the DRS hydraulics. Last year this was integrated into the upper spine of the engine cover. This year the engine cover is higher.

RB14:

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Sieper wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 15:39
I think they produced one reinforced floor over the weekend (by adding extra patching to an existing floor, ad hoc) and that that floor has been crashed into oblivion by Pierre yesterday so now we are back at the old floor (with reinforcing struts to stop the buffeting / vibrating like spotted by PaddyF1.

In Australia a better floor will be ready.
that, or, as said above with elasticity, to change the degree in which the floor angles just minimally. just so that it doesn't break, but mimics/imitates a more curved (or less curved) angle.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

roon
roon

RB don't use diagonal structural links between the gearbox and the diffuser. Merc, Ferrari and others do. Apparently this imposes some challenges.

Sieper

Wow, Roon, I never spotted that, or took any notice of it is perhaps better said.

It even looks like those rods could be put under extra or less tension at Ferrari especially with it disappearing into the housing and all those couplings. Ofcourse moveable aero is out of the question. Merc also seems to have moveable couplings. In Any case, Yes they all have struts. And they all have double rearwingbsupports and RBR has neither in the chase to loose drag.

Zynerji

Sieper wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 23:56
Wow, Roon, I never spotted that, or took any notice of it is perhaps better said.

It even looks like those rods could be put under extra or less tension at Ferrari especially with it disappearing into the housing and all those couplings. Ofcourse moveable aero is out of the question. Merc also seems to have moveable couplings. In Any case, Yes they all have struts. And they all have double rearwingbsupports and RBR has neither in the chase to loose drag.
I must say, the Ferrari setup definitely looks as if it could easily hide a mechanism to hydraulically twist the floor/ diffuser to enhance mid corner stability...

Not saying they are, but the hidden end of the strut definitely makes the imagination go wild. It could also be something as simple as anchoring the hidden end to the right part of the A-arm flexture or pushrod bell crank to get similar results...