Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Red Bull RB15

I think the FIA might have something to say about that :lol:

roon
roon

Zynerji wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 01:14
I must say, the Ferrari setup definitely looks as if it could easily hide a mechanism to hydraulically twist the floor/ diffuser to enhance mid corner stability...
Granted, that was a photo from '16 or prior. They still use a similar arrangement this year, though:

Same goes for Merc and Renault.

Zynerji

PhillipM wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 01:27
I think the FIA might have something to say about that :lol:
Sure, but only if directly asked for clarification.

PhillipM
PhillipM

What active aero and you don't think they'd pick up on it? :lol:

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

Will their affect RB's performance much? https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... l/4347008/

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Probably it's irrelevant. Current bodywork has room for alterations as it's not as tight as it could be. They made it safe for initial testing process. We could expect more aggressive package soon.

Marti_EF3

Minor tweaks for better cooling now that they will face more hot temperatures? As they said, there is free room to do it, so expect 0 performance loss

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

Marti_EF3 wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 14:01
Minor tweaks for better cooling now that they will face more hot temperatures? As they said, there is free room to do it, so expect 0 performance loss
I'd bet this is what they were saying around TR and RBR running slightly different engines. RBR probably had more compact packaging and if it proved that reliability was good then RBR could tighten up their body work even more, but I imagine that they didn't get enough running on a single engine (thanks to gasly crashing) to prove the concepts' reliability so chose to move back to the packaging used in the TR.

Blackout

In Flickr you can find interesting pics with different angles
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelc/

paddyf1
paddyf1

"I was very surprised by Adrian Newey, he did not use a front wing but he equipped the Red Bull with a front diffuser. The Red Bull is a car with two speakers. One is the rear one combined with the car body with rake trim and the other is the front wing which has an inclination of 10 ° - 12 ° with that shape has created a diffuser with a very large surface". "Newey has used a wing that generates vortices under the wing to create depression and increase the charge of the front axle without moving the flow upwards and without ruining the aerodynamic efficiency of the car. With this shape, it gives more air to the rear diffuser. It's a car with two diffusers, one that goes down straight, the back one, and the other, the front one, which works with a constant height in this way does not lose aerodynamic efficiency in the wake. He recreated a ground effect with the rake along the whole body of the car that even joins the one created by the front wing. It's a brilliant thing". Enrique Scalabroni.

dren

Looks like a front wing that's pushing flow up and outward at the ends to me.

Honda!

Stef
Stef

Yeah, front wing were always kind of a front diffuser.

cramr
cramr

paddyf1 wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 11:10
"I was very surprised by Adrian Newey, he did not use a front wing but he equipped the Red Bull with a front diffuser. The Red Bull is a car with two speakers. One is the rear one combined with the car body with rake trim and the other is the front wing which has an inclination of 10 ° - 12 ° with that shape has created a diffuser with a very large surface". "Newey has used a wing that generates vortices under the wing to create depression and increase the charge of the front axle without moving the flow upwards and without ruining the aerodynamic efficiency of the car. With this shape, it gives more air to the rear diffuser. It's a car with two diffusers, one that goes down straight, the back one, and the other, the front one, which works with a constant height in this way does not lose aerodynamic efficiency in the wake. He recreated a ground effect with the rake along the whole body of the car that even joins the one created by the front wing. It's a brilliant thing". Enrique Scalabroni.
Like always, no? I don't see anything new in there.

Neno
Neno

I dont see anything "new" there. People just keep reaching because it's Newey so "it must be" something there. Ofcourse guy gets upvotes for posting that same nonsense.

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

cramr wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 14:21
paddyf1 wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 11:10
Like always, no? I don't see anything new in there.
I think in the previous regulations that was always true, the front wing acted like a front diffuser and used create an outwash effect and guide the airflow.

It seems that with the new regs the teams can no longer have the best of both worlds. We've seen with teams like Alfa that they've gone for a wing super focused at outwash instead probably at the expensive of the diffuser affect of the front wing because of the reduced volume under the wing.

Red bull and to some degree mercedes instead seemed to of focused more on increasing the diffuser effect at the cost of losing out on outwash. This is probably what the quote by Enrique Scalabroni is pointing towards, that they've focused on one instead of another.

Of course i can't prove my theory in either way, as the teams aren't going to just release that kind of information to the public. So everything is just speculation.