Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mr.G

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

dans79 wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 04:25
Sieper wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 02:12
Yes, Blankets still allowed, Max allowed temp down from 100 to 80 degrees Celsius. So below optimal temperature. Making pitting more time costly I would say, extra heat up time so extra caution needed for a longer time.
I have wondered if this is why several times during testing Merc has run a stint where the first lap of a stint was 0.5 to like 1.5 seconds faster than the subsequent laps. James Allen has mentioned several times over the winter that a goal was to make the car gentler on its tires.

If they can tune the suspension in a way that allows them to bring the tires up to temp in the first lap or two (if you include the out lap), without seriously damming them, that might pay dividends if others have to baby them more. Being gentler on the tires overall might be more beneficial this year than in years past.

Imo, the last stint of Leclerc's race sim today showed the tires might be very finicky. He put in two really quick laps at the beginning of the stint, and then over the next 6 laps he had roughly 1.5 seconds of degradation before the times leveled out.
Regarding LEC - do we know if he has had new tires for the last stint? Even so, we don't know if it was drop or changed power mode...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Morteza

Via AMuS
Last edited by Morteza on 01 Mar 2019, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sieper

dans79 wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 04:25
Sieper wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 02:12
Yes, Blankets still allowed, Max allowed temp down from 100 to 80 degrees Celsius. So below optimal temperature. Making pitting more time costly I would say, extra heat up time so extra caution needed for a longer time.
I have wondered if this is why several times during testing Merc has run a stint where the first lap of a stint was 0.5 to like 1.5 seconds faster than the subsequent laps. James Allen has mentioned several times over the winter that a goal was to make the car gentler on its tires.

If they can tune the suspension in a way that allows them to bring the tires up to temp in the first lap or two (if you include the out lap), without seriously damming them, that might pay dividends if others have to baby them more. Being gentler on the tires overall might be more beneficial this year than in years past.

Imo, the last stint of Leclerc's race sim today showed the tires might be very finicky. He put in two really quick laps at the beginning of the stint, and then over the next 6 laps he had roughly 1.5 seconds of degradation before the times leveled out.
That could very well be, it will absolutely be an important factor in the actual races. Good forward thinking.

Morteza

They are monitoring the tires with this camera?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

F1Krof

Morteza wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 17:12
https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/V ... 432628.jpg
Just a GO-Pro ad. :P
Wroom wroom

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Morteza wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 17:12
https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/V ... 432628.jpg
More likely the front wing. The camera is in front of the tyre and facing forwards rather than sideways. Looks to be angled at the front wing flaps, perhaps to see some deflection or vibration somewhere.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Phil

Edit: Damn; wrong topic in my excitement. Please delete. :oops:
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

roon
roon

Regarding the crash structure winglets, it's rare to see the leading flaps smaller than the trailing flaps.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

roon wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 01:50
They're acting like leading edge slats on an aircraft wing. The flow must be approaching that device quite steeply from below. Those little flaps help encourage the air to flow over the main flap. That way they'll get a stronger vortex to interact with the device above the diffuser.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

The mind boggles at just how pencil-thin Merc have managed to make their car.
Look ma, no sidepods! I found this image on reddit:

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

The cooling exits usually found either side of the driver/halo on top of the sidepods are closed up too.

Maybe they're pretty confident about the reliability and cooling of their shrink wrap?

GPR-A

Look at the blue lines that I have drawn, Ferrari seems to be using as much floor area as they can, whereas Mercedes isn't.
Look at the green line and Ferrari seems to have kept the side pod opening as far back as they can and Mercedes is quite far forward.
Ferrari's front wing seems to be much wider (the box drawn).

Click to Enlarge

mantikos
mantikos

GPR -A wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 11:44
Look at the blue lines that I have drawn, Ferrari seems to be using as much floor area as they can, whereas Mercedes isn't.
Look at the green line and Ferrari seems to have kept the side pod opening as far back as they can and Mercedes is quite far forward.

Click to Enlarge

https://i.imgur.com/Mi2Md8S.jpg
Different angles

paddyf1
paddyf1

GPR -A wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 11:44

Click to Enlarge

https://i.imgur.com/Mi2Md8S.jpg
The angles are different so you cant compare like that.

De Jokke

Is anyone expecting another new front wing (iteration) in Melbourne as it has been like 3 weeks since test 1, so plenty of time to build another one after testing week 1 data/feedback, no? Or will merc go with the 'dicknose' from testing week 2 nonetheless, you think?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!