Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Red Bull RB15

As the rest said, that's nothing new and nothing that hasn't already been done for years.

PlatinumZealot

PhillipM wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 20:24
What? It very much is an outlet, it's as clear as day to see from the rear.
Nope. They are two different parts and two different functions. The air dam and the s-duct. They are back to back to each other, but they are not the same thing. A CFD on this back in the day on this very same forum was done.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It's obviously not a "dam" as it has a big hole in it. It obviously directs air over the exit of the s-duct. It's probably venturi shaped too, internally, to increase the draw on the s-duct (forming a venturi pump (aka aspirator)). This device will help to pull air from under the nose.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PhillipM
PhillipM

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 18:14

Nope. They are two different parts and two different functions. The air dam and the s-duct. They are back to back to each other, but they are not the same thing. A CFD on this back in the day on this very same forum was done.
it's not a dam, there's a very clear passage through it, it's flowing high-speed, low-pressure air over the s-duct outlet like a venturi to improve the performance of the s-duct.

PlatinumZealot

PhillipM wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 19:05
PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 18:14

it's not a dam, there's a very clear passage through it, it's flowing high-speed, low-pressure air over the s-duct outlet like a venturi to improve the performance of the s-duct.
Other than the S-duct where do you see the passage?

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PhillipM
PhillipM

There's a slot straight through it:

Hino
Hino

Tech Explained | F1 S-duct Something to add to the S-Duct conversation.

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 18:17
It's obviously not a "dam" as it has a big hole in it. It obviously directs air over the exit of the s-duct. It's probably venturi shaped too, internally, to increase the draw on the s-duct (forming a venturi pump (aka aspirator)). This device will help to pull air from under the nose.
Its almost like creating downforce in the center of the car has a benefit...
Saishū kōnā

F1Krof

PhillipM wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 04:47
There's a slot straight through it:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... 8c14d4.jpg
These particular smart-bits are very copyiable, I won't be surprised if I see other teams in Australia doing something similar like this.
Wroom wroom

ringo

Maplesoup wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 15:26
cramr wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 14:21
paddyf1 wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 11:10
"I was very surprised by Adrian Newey, he did not use a front wing but he equipped the Red Bull with a front diffuser. The Red Bull is a car with two speakers. One is the rear one combined with the car body with rake trim and the other is the front wing which has an inclination of 10 ° - 12 ° with that shape has created a diffuser with a very large surface". "Newey has used a wing that generates vortices under the wing to create depression and increase the charge of the front axle without moving the flow upwards and without ruining the aerodynamic efficiency of the car. With this shape, it gives more air to the rear diffuser. It's a car with two diffusers, one that goes down straight, the back one, and the other, the front one, which works with a constant height in this way does not lose aerodynamic efficiency in the wake. He recreated a ground effect with the rake along the whole body of the car that even joins the one created by the front wing. It's a brilliant thing". Enrique Scalabroni.
Like always, no? I don't see anything new in there.
I think in the previous regulations that was always true, the front wing acted like a front diffuser and used create an outwash effect and guide the airflow.

It seems that with the new regs the teams can no longer have the best of both worlds. We've seen with teams like Alfa that they've gone for a wing super focused at outwash instead probably at the expensive of the diffuser affect of the front wing because of the reduced volume under the wing.

Red bull and to some degree mercedes instead seemed to of focused more on increasing the diffuser effect at the cost of losing out on outwash. This is probably what the quote by Enrique Scalabroni is pointing towards, that they've focused on one instead of another.

Of course i can't prove my theory in either way, as the teams aren't going to just release that kind of information to the public. So everything is just speculation.
I disagree with the Scalabroni's excerpt. As time passes by people get more imaginative with the jargon and whats happening on the car.
A diffuser by definition must be a throat to some kind of upstream volume bounded by a surface. Such as on a pipe, or bounded by a channel etc. A front wing is a front wing. it doesnt' have any bounded flow upstream as a diffuser, and it's function is to generate downforce over its own surfaces.
A diffuser doesn't infact do any work, it simply expands the flow to atmospheric pressure, thus establishing a low pressure upstream, which would be the floor in this case. A front wing does not do this.
Two different things. So that paragraph is just hog wash.
He makes a good aero dream weaver though. :lol:
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ringo wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 01:22

A diffuser doesn't infact do any work, it simply expands the flow to atmospheric pressure, thus establishing a low pressure upstream, which would be the floor in this case. A front wing does not do this.
The old front wings did behave as a diffuser because they ran two elements that were basically flat, parallel to the ground, creating a floor in effect. The elements behind then behaved as a slotted diffuser.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ringo

Front wings.. they behaved like wings. :)

Ground effect is not a unique property to a diffuser. It was actually first ascribed to wing tip vortices.
There are multiple element wings even with flat profiles. This is not abnormal. You may call those elements at the front "slats".
So pretty much, the F1 wing is just a multi element wing with multiple slats.

If they behaved like diffusers, the upper surface wouldn't matter. But the upper surface of front wings do matter.
For Sure!!

godlameroso

To be fair the upper surface of the diffusers of these cars matter, a lot.
Saishū kōnā

Flying JPS Lotus

MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 20:22
RB testing new (S-Duct) Inlets.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0bnMpfWwAIHK2I.png:large
Source
Are there any more pictures of the new turning vanes Red Bull were running before Gasly binned it on the third day of the second test? Can't seem to find any better pictures, it looked new and more like the 'cape' solution to my eye so I thought there'd be more analysis of it by now.
"Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!"

#AeroUruk-Hai

anthonyfa18
anthonyfa18